• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MOA Redmond , OR. Rally

dredakeel

First time cross country to Redmond , OR . leaving from Charlottesville VA . Does BMW do trip planing like they did in the past . Any pointer will be appreciated .
It will be also great if I could join a group of riders heading to Redmond from my neck of the woods . Thanks

Welcome to the forum.
Are you looking for something like AAA does or used to do?

I think trip planning is part of the fun. Unless time constraints mean a mad dash to and from, find the good roads, the interesting spots, etc. Maps are a good start. The internet is your friend. This forum membership can answer questions and help. Good luck! Have fun.

Welcome to the forum.
Are you looking for something like AAA does or used to do?
BMW used to do the route in the past , it has been a while , I never used AAA before but most likely the same , I also have the BMW app which I will use as well . thanks for your reply ,Ed

I think trip planning is part of the fun. Unless time constraints mean a mad dash to and from, find the good roads, the interesting spots, etc. Maps are a good start. The internet is your friend. This forum membership can answer questions and help. Good luck! Have fun.
Thanks Paul , I'm allowing almost six days to get to Redmond , I agree the planing is part of the fun , i will resort to the internet and margk the interesting spots to visit , question ,, will weather heading west traveling the northern route at this time of the year will be without weather challenges ?
Thanks again , I'll check the forum , Best , Safe riding .

Asking about weather is like asking for the winning lottery numbers. My experience on the "northern route" you can expect temperatures anywhere from low 40's to high 90's, torrential rain or dry and sunny. I'd suggest you take something warm to layer in, good quality rain/waterproof gear, and an extra pair of gloves. Major highways will be good to go but check state DOT websites for any mountain pass's you intend on taking to make sure they will be open during the dates you anticipate passing through. Good luck, it will be a grand adventure.

I agree that weather can be unpredictable in the long run, but pretty easy to scope out in the short run. It used to be harder. Radar and alerts are readily available in real time. Usually traveling from east to west with weather issues is easier than traveling from west to east. If a front is moving through, usually from west to east, a rider can duck for a short while or a day and then proceed west as the severe weather moves off to the east. Going the other way I have sometimes kept catchingup to the bad weather. Going to the rally I always add an extra day so we can sit a day out for weather if we need to.

Plan your gear well, keeping weight and bulk to a minimum. That said, be prepared for anything for near freezing to 110 degree weather, calm air and blue skies to 40mph crosswind driven rain, from smooth highways to dirt road detours. I hit all of these going to and coming back from the Great Falls Rally in Montana three years ago along the northern route.

Will you be camping or motelling on your travels? How many days do you plan on traveling? How far can you COMFORTABLY ride in a day? Will you be riding hard to reach your destination or will you be stopping to explore the many sights along the way? There are as many ways to travel as there are routes to reach the end of a journey.

The most important thing is to "DO IT". That is what makes a great adventure.

Going back to maps for a minute.

I use Google maps to start. The new to feature to GM will tell your mileage between destinations which is great for planning. Using GM will also let you find a hotel or campground near those destinations.

Once a basic map is made I switch to MY Google Maps ( which is different ) and build the exact route I want…change it to a GPX file and ride.

Thanks for the input everyone , much appreciated , I'll have a total of 18 days round trip , some how my BMW app will not take Redmond OR. as a destination .
I did download the state maps for cross country .

Thanks for the input everyone , much appreciated , I'll have a total of 18 days round trip , some how my BMW app will not take Redmond OR. as a destination .
I did download the state maps for cross country .
In the Connected App search window, move the screen to Oregon then try your search again, I often find that I need to have the window in the general vicinity of the destination for the search to locate it.

You can also try a search for the address or name of the convention center in Redmond. (Deschutes County Fairgrounds, Redmond, OR)

He mentioned 6 days to get there. 2,700 miles is the shortest route so he has to do at least 450 miles a day.
That will make it difficult to see the sites on the way.
I was thinking the same Lee. I’m planning about 8 -10 days from Charlotte

I used Furkot for the first time this year. It is a little quirky to figure out but once I got the hang of it, it works really well.
Put in your origin and destination. Number of days you have to make the trip, Pick your length of days (in miles or hours). Then you start adding destinations to your trip and it puts them in logical order. It also sets markers for approximate locations for overnight stops (using the length of days you already set). Everything can get exported to your GPS.

Back