• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

mirror rattle 85 r80rt

T

tagman787

How do I get the mirror frame apart to reglue a loose and noisy mirror glass?

I've fixed them by not taking them apart. lay the mirror flat, glass up, use silicon sealant(RTV) very fine tip, force the sealant between the glass and plastic, wipe the excess of the glass, let cure laying flat, reinstall .

Another fix, that works quite, well can be done right on the bike. Pick up a can of that spray foam insulation from your local hardware store. There should be a little hole in the bottom of the mirror, I think for water drainage. Hold the tube from the spray foam to the hole and give it a good shot. The foam will expand inside the housing and hold the mirror in place quite fine. Once it cures, usually overnight, you can remove any that may have seeped out the hole, touch it up with a black felt marker and you are done.

I have done this on quite a few mirrors and it works great. If the mirror ever should get broken, the foam will usually hold it all together until you get a new mirror glass and replace it. It will release from the mirror housing quite easily. All it is really doing is putting a small amount of pressure on the back of the mirror and the interior of the housing, which also could be accomplished with a little foam tape, if you could get the housing apart easily.

:ca

Back