• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

M97 gearbox Whine

kyleewhitney

How much noise is normal for these? Over the weekend I swapped the gearbox on my 1995 r11gs with a ~50k mile one that came out of an r11rt. It doesn’t pop out of second anymore but my god this unit is loud. Having no experience with them beyond this 1995 GS, anyone?

Thanks

My '97 RT didn't whine, but eventually it got replaced under warranty due to constant and repeatable crappy shifting, especially between 2nd and 3rd, up and down.
You can always try a different oil - lots of good tranny oils are available - and maybe a tablespoon of Gear Guard (graphite additive), but I'd suspect a bad bearing is giving you a head's-up.

I agree that a bearing is on the way out. These transmissions are usually pretty quiet even if the shifting was clunky at times.... Redline Oil is what I used for my bike and it was the best oil I found in my application, but YMMV

Back