• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Luggage Capacity

alegerlotz

Have you ever wondered how much stuff your RT1200RT can hold? The answer is alot!

I took this inventory after returning home from the MOA Rally in Salt Lake City.

The bike is a 2016 R1200RT with the stock paniers and the 49 litre trunk. I also used a SW-Motech "city" tank bag and a Sea to Summit 65 litre dry bag.

Configured as above, the bike carried the following...

Camping Gear: (in the Sea to Summit dry bag)
------------
Big Agnes Wyoming 2 Tent with footprint
5 x 7 tarps (2)
self inflating sleep mat
sleeping bag
inflatable pillow
folding camping chair

Clothes:
-------
socks (11 pairs)
underwear (8 pairs)
t shirts (15)
shorts - 13
sneakers (1 pair)
sandals (1 pair)
hats (3)
belts (2)
jeans (1 pair)
long sleeve t shirt (1)

Toiletries and such:
-------------------
sunscreen (1 sm btl)
first aid kit and 1 box finger bandaids
OFF bug spray (1 can)
camping towel
bath towel
hotel shampoo/body wash (6 sm btls)
misc "wipes" - clorox, wet naps, etc...
toiletry kit (shaving cream, razor, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc...)

Motorcycle specific items:
-------------------------
motorcycle gloves
Adventure Designs Tire Patch Kit with pump
Adventure Designs R1200RT tool kit
Kick stand plates (4 inch squares) - 3
Bilt Motorcycle cover (also in Sea to Summit dry bag)
rain jacket and pants

Electronics:
-----------
tablet computer
small camp light
led head lamp
solar charger
point & shoot camera w/batter charger
android smart phone
AA batteries (10)
AAA batteries (10)
small flashlights
GPS storage case

Misc items:
----------
knife
mace
sunglasses
reading glasses
soft sided cooler (holds 4 water bottles)
7 Butler motorcycle maps w/carry case
Rally "swag" (stickers, pins, patches, plastic mug, etc...)
can/bottle insulators (2)
usb aux charging batteries
misc usb cables and 110v converters

LoadedRT.jpg

I got your back!! :thumb Members generally don't have permission to do those sort of things.

Got some friends who rode 2 up to Sturges on a Harley sportser and did it all camping
I know it's way more expensive but hotels allow less gear to be packed, just saying
Congrats on a great journey

You do realize you've got a GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) that, after your weight (fully dressed to ride) plus weight of fully-fueled bike, what's left is how much cargo BMW authorizes you to cram in/strap on/load up/etc.? :dance

I do, but given that I didn't have a passenger I should have been fine. My stuff was heavy, but not as heavy as an adult male.

Looks like the perfect packing job to me. I just sold my '16 Wing and went to a '17 RT and have been looking forward to trying different packing options... having lost some capacity. With my wing, I always over packed since I had the room.

I will be getting a bigger top box eventually, for now I just have the BMW 28 ltr box. With the top box removed, I'm thinking my first camping trip I will use my 70 ltr dry bag with my 40 ltr dry bag secured on top. I plan to have the bags laterally behind me, using the leading edge of the big bag as a backrest.

That's the plan anyway. I'll post a pics when able.

The last time I brought half that much clothing was the 2003 Iron Butt Rally, where it was all old stuff - socks, undies, and T shirts discarded each night. Otherwise it is hitting the laundry once a week.

With all the new gear these days, one can get away with three of everything, socks, undies and shirts. All will dry overnight or in a mesh bag tied on top of a duffel/dry-bag/camelback. Camp-gear got so ridiculously light and small that just about everything fits in one pannier. Looking at old pics of myself loaded for bear, I wonder how I got away with the kitchen sink..:laugh:rofl

Very nice,
My dry bag with the same camping gear you listed, a small survival SAR bag and 3 days clothes weighs 30 pounds. The right pannier carries emergency equipment like jump starter, inflator, spare foot pump, bungies, micro fiber clothers, 2 more days clothes and weighs 18 pounds. Left pannier carries rain gear, spare warm jacket and 1/2 helmet weighing 11-12 pounds.

I haven't decided if I'm taking the luggage rack or not when I do the 3 week, 3 state national park tour in Utah, Colorado and NM in June. I may move clothes from panniers to luggage box and take some cooking supplies etc, need to make that coffee in the morning. :thumb

easa on two riders should about cover it.

Last edited:
Not too different from what I took for a 3 month trip, 40-100+ degrees. I had a heated jacket and long underwear too but fewer shorts (2) & underwear (4). I'm the only one that knows if I'm wearing the same shorts as yesterday and I don't care. I can rinse stuff out to make it tolerable or go to a laundromat.

I also carried a set of ratchet straps which I used twice because some ferries don't supply tiedowns, or the ones they supply are crap. They're also there in case I need to strap it down on a trailer or pickup bed but I've never had to use them for that :dance

Back