• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

lubricating the pannier and top box buttons to unlatch and open question

brownie0486

Collective wisdom from the hive requested. My 2011 RT top box button/push to unlatch is harder to push than my panniers buttons. Without taking the bags/top box apart, is there any way to lubricate the button to open the latches? Thanks in advance

I did some research on the net and found this advice for buttons that are getting hard to push to unlatch.

Gently press down/inward on the flap when pushing the button. Went and tried it on all 3 buttons [ panniers AND top box ], works like a charm.

Just an fyi for those who may not know

If you are just having trouble pressing the pannier lock button, a little lube on the button might help. If the pannier latches require more than one finger to lift (not pry), the mechanism is dirty, so a clean and re-lube is in order. The lower mounting point is not sealed and all sorts of road dirt gets up inside. Forcing stiff latches can break parts that are not individually available. Unfortunately, cleaning requires separating the inner and outer shells, as there is no way to reach most of the friction points from the exterior.

I think the mechanism was designed by Rube Goldberg, so it requires some patience and care during disassembly and re-assembly. There are many different sizes and types of screws, so it helps to get a large scrap of cardboard and sketch the pannier shape on it, then poke a hole in the corresponding location to hold each screw as you remove it. Also, take lots of high-resoultion pictures and maybe a video or two as a reference. These are an invaluable resource during re-assembly so you know how everything fits together. There are some pictures here to give you some idea about what you are getting into, but you will want more of your own so you can zoom in closely. There are lots of sliding surfaces and pivot points that need attention. You will want to clean out all the old grease and replace it with fresh white lithium or silicone grease (I use Sil-Glyde). As a last resort, if your pictures are not sufficient to get it all back together, you can carefully open up the other side to see how it all fits.

This a pretty good winter project that makes a big difference and provides satisfaction every time you open your pannier.

Well, at least for a few years, then you can do it again.:ha

I did some research on the net and found this advice for buttons that are getting hard to push to unlatch.

Gently press down/inward on the flap when pushing the button. Went and tried it on all 3 buttons [ panniers AND top box ], works like a charm.

Just an fyi for those who may not know

Yep, that’s the ticket.

Back