• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Love everything about my Rockster except….

transport

I’m selfishly here for advice…

I absolutely love my non-ABS 2003 Rockster. The suspension is great EVERYWHERE and it informs me just fine.

BUT: the rear brake is kinda on-off and has caused rear lock up a few times too many.

I’m looking to replace it with an 2012 R1200R (with Telelever, ABS, ASC…) or a 2016 R1200R with no Telelever…

Since I love the suspension feel of the Rockster; according to the people of knowledge who have ridden both, is the 2016 worth considering? Will I miss the Telelever or is the ride just as good?

Thanks you people of generous knowledge.

I ride a 2013 R, my first telelever bike. It works for me, but I wouldn’t select the bike based on that. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. For me, I like the anti-dive characteristics of the telelever. An important feature for me is the ease of maintenance and reliability of the camhead, an engine shared by the 2012 and 2013. My 2013 curb weight is listed at 492 pounds and gets 45+mpg. I can’t speak for the 2016, but condition and history of your choice’s being equal, I can recommend the 2012.

Doug

I ride a 2013 R, my first telelever bike. It works for me, but I wouldn’t select the bike based on that. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. For me, I like the anti-dive characteristics of the telelever. An important feature for me is the ease of maintenance and reliability of the camhead, an engine shared by the 2012 and 2013. My 2013 curb weight is listed at 492 pounds and gets 45+mpg. I can’t speak for the 2016, but condition and history of your choice’s being equal, I can recommend the 2012.

Second this... imo the Telever benefits far outweigh any disadvantages it may have. It gets even better when you upgrade to premium suspension.

To the OP, have you messed around with different brake pads? I prefer ceramic pads because they have a softer action and are easier on the rotors.

My personal style is to only use the rear brake to keep the rear wheel behind the front.... other than braking on steep downhill gravel roads, then I use front and rear brakes is near equal proportions.

Also make sure fluid is kept fresh and the system is bled properly.

And if the personal opinions of a lot of different motojournalists carry any weight, the oilhead 1150 is the best motorcycle BMW ever made.

Thanks guys.

I did get ceramic pads and all is good with the fuel lines. There have been situations where I almost lost the rear and this has never happened on my other bikes. Because of that, I don’t want to ride in the rain, something I do with my all my other bikes (they have ABS).

I’m leaning towards a pre 2015 R1200R, but I guess I’ have to try a recent non-Telelever one to see. And by the way, I’m really not getting close to Doug’s mileage… like 28MPG!

Other than the brakes and mileage, I love riding this thing. So I’m looking for the « same but better »!

Cheers!

Try one with ESA. Gold forks are ESA. Silver forks are non ESA.

OK, Lee, I’ll try and do that before the end of this season. I have ESA on my 2012 GS, very practical.

But the ride quality on my R1150R Rockster is the best I’ve had by far on the 10 or so motorcycles I’ve owned. Way better than the GS!

OK, Lee, I’ll try and do that before the end of this season. I have ESA on my 2012 GS, very practical.

!

After having Telelever front suspension on my K1200RS and Duolever on my K1300S I got used to not much front end dive.
I was worried the upside down forks with ESA on my 2016 R1200RS would have too much dive but it wasn't much different compared to the K1200RS and K1300S.
The forks on the R1200R Wethead are similar to the R1200RS but have slightly different geometry.

I have not ridden a newer R or RS without ESA to see how much front dive it has when braking.

So I test rode an 2020 R1250R. 8000km on the clock. Loaded with options. Loved the sportier ride and comfort. Did not miss the Telelever. Price was right. Took her home where she will keep my CB1100 company!

So I test rode an 2020 R1250R. 8000km on the clock. Loaded with options. Loved the sportier ride and comfort. Did not miss the Telelever. Price was right. Took her home where she will keep my CB1100 company!

:thumb:thumb

Love My R1250R

Recently acquired a very nice 2020 R1250R nicely equipped with 2600 miles or so. Went from a 2015 RT to this, like the lighter weight, upside down forks, good ride, more power. Granted not the cross country machine that the RT is, but nevertheless compared to machines from 50 years ago. It's a sweet ride. Kinda like comparing apples to oranges. Just my opinion. Enjoy your ride..

Congrats!

The front suspension on your new bike is much superior to what you came from.

Regarding maintenance: You'll find that your valves will rarely require adjustment. I've got 48,000km on my wethead and have yet to have a valve require adjustment.

Back