• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Looking for Route Suggestions ...Chillicothe OH to Cape Girardeau MO

gsinnc

Will be heading to the Rally from Charlotte, NC and meeting buddies in Marietta, OH. Have a great route mapped out from Marietta to Chillicothe OH (Only picked Chillicothe because it was the right distance from Marietta and had decent hotels but if there is better option a few more miles west open for suggestions)

Want to stay in Cape Girardeau on the Tuesday before the rally and have a good route from there to Springfield Just need any suggestions of roads or POI's from Chillicothe to Cape Girardeau. Thanks in advance !!

Yes, with a few more points to keep you on 62.
If you find you're not making enough progress you can get on 9002 which runs close to 62.
9002 is a lightly traveled 4 lane.

Yep .. .Google Maps sometimes wants to push you onto main highways. Thanks!!

Glenlivet and I will be taking a similar route, staying on 68 to Paris, cutting over to Georgetown, Midway, and Versailles to avoid the major urban center of Lexington. Then 62 as far as Elizabethtown before angling up to Hawesville and crossing into Indiana and the Hoosier NF. From there to southern Illinois - Garden of the Gods, Karbers Ridge, Ozark before dropping down to 146 and cross at Cape Girardeau.

Pete

Glenlivet and I will be taking a similar route, staying on 68 to Paris, cutting over to Georgetown, Midway, and Versailles to avoid the major urban center of Lexington. Then 62 as far as Elizabethtown before angling up to Hawesville and crossing into Indiana and the Hoosier NF. From there to southern Illinois - Garden of the Gods, Karbers Ridge, Ozark before dropping down to 146 and cross at Cape Girardeau.

Pete

WOW ... thanks Pete! That's a big help. Looks like a nice Best Western in Paris too.

If you’re crossing into Cape G on Hwy 146, about 30ish miles south on Rt 3, in Mound City, IL is a National Cemetery. Good Civil War history. The site was a navy, or army, hospital, and thus a cemetery close was efficient. There is an old Shipbuilding site at the River there too, one can still see the old main rails used to launch barges and boats all pre Civil War. Nothing there now except those old rails and history long past.

A few miles down river, is the confluence of the MS and OH rivers. The river system and it’s efficiency for the U.S is a national treasure for sure. It’s a really cool spot, if you’re a river rat like me.

I like staying in downtown Cape. Nice non-chain eating places down there. Also, Grass Roots BMW is a great shop, in Cape G, if you need service or anything else. Small and old school, really nice.

The mention of Mound City and rivers brought to mind something to do with Chillicothe, Ohio. Many years ago I lived in Chillicothe. Just to the north of town along Route 104 is a National Historical Park called Mound City. The Hopewell tribes lived in the area and for deaths of significant tribal members would construct burial mounds.

Excavation of some of these burial mounds revealed materials that came from all over North America. The rivers were their superhighways. I found this place to be quite interesting.

https://www.nps.gov/hocu/learn/historyculture/mound-city-group.htm

1+ on the Garden of the Gods area in southern Illinois. Go south from there cross the Ohio River at Cave -in- Rock state park. Free ferry. Take back roads to Paducah. Work your way over to Cape G which ever way you want. Visit Grass Roots BMW there. Good little dealership.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’ve stopped at Grass Roots BMW a few times and really live the town of Cape Girardeau. That’s why it’s on my route plan again along with dinner at Top of the Marque.

Ed (and others) - I know you asked about just the section from Chillicothe to Cape G, but here a link to the complete route we plan on taking.

http://travelswithbarley.com/meet-up-where-were-headed/

That said, as you're probably aware from my previous posts, I have yet to follow one of my carefully laid out routes in its entirety. There are always distractions, input from locals, and the I wonder where that road goes factors to consider.

Pete and Glenlivet

Ed (and others) - I know you asked about just the section from Chillicothe to Cape G, but here a link to the complete route we plan on taking.

http://travelswithbarley.com/meet-up-where-were-headed/

That said, as you're probably aware from my previous posts, I have yet to follow one of my carefully laid out routes in its entirety. There are always distractions, input from locals, and the I wonder where that road goes factors to consider.

Pete and Glenlivet

Thanks Pete !! Appreciate it. I have already modified my route to stay west of Chillicothe and close to Paris as a result of your route suggestion. I too like the guys at Grass roots and usually try and stay in Cape Girardeau one night just in case I am in need of any service Grass Roots could offer. Nice friendly guys there. I really hope we cross paths on the road.

Back