• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Looking for a 1978 R100RS in Harvest Gold

fox_85

Hello everybody--

Hoping the community can help me out with a small request..

I am looking for a particular 1978 BMW R100RS in Harvest Gold, with the VIN 6182967R1001RS. I did a VIN search and found that as of 2014 it was titled in PA, and is still titled there. At the time it had about 78k miles on it

The gentleman who owned the bike from 1988-1995 turns 50 this year, and is feeling especially nostalgic about the bike. I know he would love to take a ride up to at least look at it and chat with the new owner. He's done his best to find the old girl again, but hasn't had any luck. I've gone as far as I can with internet wizardry and I'm hoping I might get lucky here.

If you're reading this and its your bike- please shout! We are located in Virginia. Welcome any leads on being able to locate it. Trying to make this fella's birthday (yes, I joined the forum just to post this. :)

Have a great weekend- and thank you very much! - Fox :wave

I saw one at Todd Trumbore's RS rally at Harleysville PA in Sept 2017. It was immaculate and ridden by a fellow who cared for it meticulously. The guy had quite the story.(I have removed what I recalled from here at his request)He just loved this bike to bits.

Does this look like the bike? 20170914_173256.jpg

I'll continue to try and find a photo with him in it. No luck so far...

Last edited:
I saw one at Todd Trumbore's RS rally at Harleysville PA in Sept 2017....

Hey, thanks so much Happy Wanderer! I'll run that pic by him and see if it's a hit. I know he double spark plugged it back when he owned it, but that I know could have been changed, along with some other cosmetic bits. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond! if you find any more pics please lmk

:clap Thank you! you guys are awesome! yeah that's a PA plate which would track with my VIN search for the bike...
Anybody got a lead on who that gentleman is? :)

Last edited:
As an update, here's what we've got so far on my epic search for the long lost RS

• 1978 BMW R100RS in Harvest Gold
  • VIN 6182967R1001RS
  • VIN search shows the RS was titled in PA starting in 2014
Photos sourced by Happy Wanderer above from the RS gathering last September show a PA-plated RS matching the description;

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 6.55.51 PM.png
  • The Plate appears to read 02860
  • The gentleman who owns the bike is pictured in Happy Wanderer's post too.

Did anybody who was at the RS 40th Anniversary rally chat with this gent and get his name? Next piece of the puzzle is to determine if that VIN is on that bike. I don't think I can determine that without getting in contact with the owner.

A million thanks to everybody for your help so far! :)

Well, Brook Reams attended that event as I recall. I suspect Tom Cutter of Yardley PA might have attended. I wonder if the Airmarshall for PA would have an idea who might own such an R100RS. I didn't find any writeups in the ABC Airmail about the event nor did I find any pictures on the ABC website.

I recognize the person in the photo in post #4 as somebody I have seen on more than one occasion. I would be fairly sure that the Pennsylvania Air Marshal would recognize him.

@20774 - thank you for that!
@ Friedle - eagle eyes, thanks!
@PGlaves - Thank you! Is the Pennsylvania Air Marshall on the forum? I'd love to flag this post for him.

Gents, thanks very much!

Is the Pennsylvania Air Marshall on the forum? I'd love to flag this post for him.

I don't believe the Air Marshall is on the forum. Maybe someone who in the ABC and in PA could make the contact.

I'd suggest that you call Tom Cutter tomorrow at Rubber Chicken Racing Garage and ask him if he might know the bike and the owner. They have a SuperTech session each year, but it was held in early February. I'm pretty sure Tom goes to those...he usually presents information...could be the owner of the RS also might have attended.

I don't believe the Air Marshall is on the forum. Maybe someone who in the ABC and in PA could make the contact.

I'd suggest that you call Tom Cutter tomorrow at Rubber Chicken Racing Garage and ask him if he might know the bike and the owner. They have a SuperTech session each year, but it was held in early February. I'm pretty sure Tom goes to those...he usually presents information...could be the owner of the RS also might have attended.

Tom was at the R100RS40 rally but he was not at SuperTech this year.

@ 20774 - thank you for the lead, I will reach out to Mr. Cutter!

@ beemerphile- awesome. if he was at the RS rally he may know who that RS owner is. And nice catch on the plate #!

This might be the missing link you are looking for. I would suggest contacting Todd Trumbore, the organizer and host of the 40th anniversary RS meeting held at his home in PA where the photos were taken. Contact Todd at : motorrader@verizon.net

PA Airmarshal is Rob Price at paairhead@gmail.com.

I recognize the face, but can't put a name to it.

Friedle
NY AM
Airheads BoD

I don't know the gentleman in the photo, either, but he probably won't mind being tracked down; there's no reasonable expectation of anonymity when you ride a '78 Metallic Gold RS!

And, FWIW, I think "Harvest Gold" was an appliance color from the '60s, not an OEM BMW color. "Havana Gold" was a BMW color of that era, but was actually a nice metallic brown.

@khittner @Lee @20774
I wondered about the color name but the former owner was emphatic. Whatever it is called, it certainly is hard to hear that bike over the paint! :rofl

As an update: using the emails from @Friedle in post #15, I reached out to the PA Airmarshal Mr. Price, and Mr. Trumbore. Both were able to ID the owner of the bike in @Happy Wanderer's posts. Waiting to hear back if the VIN is a match!

Will update when I learn more. Thanks guys!

Back