• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Lock cylinder removal new style 49L top case

k12lts

I'm thinking of buying a used top case for my 2015 RT and I'd have to recode the lock cylinder. I've done that before on the old style case but don't know how to get the cylinder out of the new style case. Has anyone done it?

If it's the new style case, which you said it was, it is very easy to do. The new style case has the small orange indicator that sticks out below the lock when you unlock the case from your bike to remove the top case. You have to remove the two screws that hold the cover in place around the lock cylinder. (Just pop open the latch and you will see the two screws). It is easier to remove this cover if you release the black cover from the orange indicator by pushing on the sides of the orange indicator where you see the black on the sides of the orange when it is popped out. This will allow the cover to be removed without damaging the orange indicator or the cover. Now, with the top case unlocked from the bike, but still sitting on the bike, you will see a small hole on the bottom of the orange indicator. Just use a small enough and long enough allen wrench to push up into the hole and "find" the release for the cylinder. You may have to fish around a bit to get it to unlock. If you are successful (and you should have no problem) the lock will pop out. Now, be careful to not lose any innards from the cylinder as you will be needing these to rekey the cylinder. Also, you have to leave the number 7 slot open when you rekey. Otherwise, you will not be able to remove your key once you reinsert the lock cylinder into the bike. I will try to find the you tube video that explained this very well. Otherwise, you could call me and I could walk you through it. Just PM me when you are going to do it. I had to do it three times to get it right because I missed the part in the video about the 7th slot being open. You will have to insert the cylinder upside down as well. Hope this helps. Here is the you tube video. It is 19.20 minutes long and at the 15.32 mark is the information about the 7th slot being left open and at 17.38 is the instruction on removing the cylinder through the orange clip/indicator. If you watch the video all the way through you should have no problems. Remember to insert the lock cylinder upside down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mygeTPWUhqY

Last edited:
Thanks so much. This is exactly the information I need. The other threads and videos are for other boxes and they are different. I guess it would be too easy for BMW to make them all work the same.

I bought a used top case and used Tommyboyz’s method above to remove the lock cylinder. It takes a little fiddling to get the release tab pushed in but it worked.

You use the same method to recode all the lock cylinders but removing the cylinder is different for each type of case or saddle bag. The “similar threads” are about different cases or say you need to buy a special tool or even take the case apart. None of that is necessary. All you need is a t20 torx and a small (I used a 1.5mm) Allen key.

Big thanks to him again.

I bought a used top case and used Tommyboyz’s method above to remove the lock cylinder. It takes a little fiddling to get the release tab pushed in but it worked.

You use the same method to recode all the lock cylinders but removing the cylinder is different for each type of case or saddle bag. The “similar threads” are about different cases or say you need to buy a special tool or even take the case apart. None of that is necessary. All you need is a t20 torx and a small (I used a 1.5mm) Allen key.

Big thanks to him again.

Glad to hear it worked out for you.

Back