• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Living in the middle of nowhere......

Well, there are some benefits of living in the middle of nowhere, assuming you can find or have employment. For me, I'm lucky to have the northern tier (i.e. Allegheny Plateau) of PA to roam thru when I want to play with the motorcycle. While Fall often provides great foliage, this years isn't that notable, tending towards brown, but the weekend weather has accommodated a few nice rides. As an example, I took a few pics of today's visit to Hyner View Look-out which is north of Lock Haven PA on PA Route 120 along the West Branch of the Susquehanna River. For those of you that attended the Bloomsburg Sub-Sahara Heat Fest in 2011, that was about 75-miles east on the East Branch of the Susquehanna River.

About 3/4's of the way up the one and a half road to the lookout, you get a nice view of the top, IMG_0525.jpgwhich is sometimes frequented by hang gliders.
The road is adequate for cycles and cars, but today's pick-ups and SUV's are a bit too wide for my comfort. IMG_0521.jpg At the top, you are treated to a very nice view of the river valley and the plateau beyond.IMG_0529.jpg

In high school or college, I remember visiting the lookout while Piper Aircraft Company conducted photo shoots for their advertising campaigns. The photographers would set-up on the lookout and the pilots would perform fly-byes. But, that is now long gone.

Really looks like a beautiful time of the year to ride around there. Just seeing your pics I can feel the crisp feeling in the air and the changing of the leaves. Very nice share.
Are there plans to hold another Bloomsburg Sub-Sahara Heat Fest? Sounds like a good time.

We are in Birmingham, AL at the Barber Museum Vintage Days. Because of time constraints we had to ride the 2000 miles from our home in Montana mostly on interstates. Our route took us thru several cities; Omaha, KC, Springfield, Memphis and of course 4 days in Birmingham. Really makes us appreciate our little piece of paradise in the middle of nowhere. Thanks for the ride report and the reminder that there is nowhere like home in the middle of nowhere.

In 1970 my younger brother attended Lock Haven State. He used to get rides home (Mercer County Airport) from Piper employes who were allowed use of a plane for the cost of fuel, something like $30 or so.
Nice pics. I do miss being in the woods this time of year, but not the expectation of shoveling cloud poop from the walk & driveway!

Really looks like a beautiful time of the year to ride around there. Just seeing your pics I can feel the crisp feeling in the air and the changing of the leaves. Very nice share.
Are there plans to hold another Bloomsburg Sub-Sahara Heat Fest? Sounds like a good time.

There is a fairgrounds further west, located very close to the geographic center of PA, in Centre Hall, PA that has trees and might make a great place for camping,

http://www.grangefair.net/pdf/CCGF_EventsFacilities_06web.pdf

but there are no buildings with AC. After Bloomsburg, that's, probably, a no-no for this part of the country. However, it is fairly close, ~13-miles, to Penn State's main campus, so lot's of hotel rooms & restaurants would be available.

Another downside is the lack of an active local BMW club.

In 1970 my younger brother attended Lock Haven State. He used to get rides home (Mercer County Airport) from Piper employes who were allowed use of a plane for the cost of fuel, something like $30 or so.
Nice pics. I do miss being in the woods this time of year, but not the expectation of shoveling cloud poop from the walk & driveway!

I heard cheap flying lessons were an employee benefit for any interested party. In the day of the Cub, there was the potential for an employee to own a plane. However, as designs progressed and the planes became more comfortable, they became unaffordable by the typical employee. But, yes, back in a day, there were lots of local pilots.

Back in the 1970's LH State was nationally competitive in Division II & III Men's soccer. The exchange program with Nottingham College in England, and schools in other soccer playing nations helped greatly and provided a unique supply of student teachers for the local schools. I remember one Englishman's particularly disastrous attempt to teach us Cricket.

Last edited:
Sidenote from RR- I just read the wiki on Piper Aircraft Co. & it's noteworthy (for me as I used to work on a Piper) that they are currently owned by the government of Brunei.
Trees here in E KY may be pretty this year-if the rains ever stop.

Sidenote from RR- I just read the wiki on Piper Aircraft Co. & it's noteworthy (for me as I used to work on a Piper) that they are currently owned by the government of Brunei.
Trees here in E KY may be pretty this year-if the rains ever stop.

Kantuck, thanks for the posting. Further down on the wiki is this gem.

"In December 2011, Piper announced it was attempting to renegotiate the 2008 deal it had made with the state of Florida and Indian River County for incentives. The company did not meet its contractual requirements to employ 1,100 people by the end of 2009; instead, employment fell to 600, and as a result, the company owed US$1.5 million. Piper is looking for forgiveness of the debt.[54] Also in December, Piper came under the direct ownership of the government of Brunei.[55]"

It should be a cautionary tale for any state or local gov't when they're bidding on incentive programs to lure or keep businesses. When the business cycle hits bottom, you'll likely loose your investment of public funds.

Back