• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Link Between Cell Phone Use and Vehicle Crashes !

Along the same line.... I recently conceded to the argument that a GPS is much safer than looking at your tankbag map and related info.... now I'm shopping for a GPS .

I've solved this problem by letting my eyesight deteriorate to the point that, even with bifocals - oops, I mean progressives, my tank bag map is fuzzy. I have to pull over, stop, remove glasses and read the map. Much safer that way for me and anyone else on the road. :D

On second thought, maybe a GPS would be a good idea. :whistle

I believe modern seat designs are too cushy-comfy, giving the driver the opportunity to actually relax and enjoy themselves, which in turn could lead to a state of gentle tranquility. Thus they are a distraction and should be abolished.

I work for an automotive supplier (OEM). I'll send your note off to our seating division. I'm sure they can come up with something terribly uncomfortable for you. :lol

torture5.JPG

I hate seeing distracted drivers, too and especially those talking on cell phones. I think that should be a traffic violation. However, I think cell phones are a Good Thing Indeed in many cases. I use mine for:

1. Mrs. Godzilla worries about me riding the bike to work. It gives her peace of mind when I call her when I get to work to assure that I am OK.
2. Mrs. Godzilla works night shift at the local Wally World. I leave before she gets home in the morning, so calling her cell phone will reach her no matter where she is.
3. Mrs. Godzilla leaves for work after dark and has a 20 mile drive. She calls me when she gets there to reassure me that she made it OK. There are creepy people out there, so knowing she is OK is nice.
4. My boys are both in college. The Main Son is working his PhD at Florida State and the Emergency Backup Son just started at Indiana. We keep in touch with the cell phones. The fees are already paid, so no long distance charges.
5. When I am travelling, it is handy to be able to stay in touch. For instance, when I am headed to PA to see Mom and the Fambly, I can call to tell them if I am going to be late, so she knows when to expect me.
6. Having the Cell phone Just In Case with 911 is good. Hope to never use it, but still.

Sure it is a distraction, causes accidents and is a pain in the a$$ umbilical cord, but it is a tool we have available to us. Maybe even a crutch, but most technology is, like the computer you are using right now and that GPS you either already have or are lusting over. What turns them bad is misuse and abuse.

What do these people possibly have to say that is so important that they have to make the call while driving.
Heck, when I make a phone call if it lasts 90 seconds I'm getting gabby, yet I constantly get behind people with one hand on the wheel the the other plastered to the side of their head and yak yak yak yak yak.
Shut up, fold up and drive or get out of my way!

/ rant off

Back