• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Link Between Cell Phone Use and Vehicle Crashes !

don't get me started

This should not be a suprise.

The onl;y reason I can think that cell phones have not been made illegal while driving is the strong lobby the companies have against legislation.

I am amazed how many people I drive by that are looking down at thier phones "text messaging" something.

I wish these things would just go away

I confess to being somewhat guilty of cell phone use in the car. I say "somewhat" because I do not text message and I always wear a headset and use voice activation.

As much as I'd like to do away with the damn thing, my business won't allow it. I'm on the road locally on most days and I find the car is the only time I have to return calls, not to mention almost constant incoming calls.

I'm much too young to retire and haven't hit the lottery yet so I'm sort of stuck if I want to continue earning $$$. It may be hypocritical of me but I do find the gabbers and texters on the road to be a major cause of concern.

Techno solution

GPS units should be built into the phones that would trigger the off switch when ground speeds exceed 5 mph.

I confess to being somewhat guilty of cell phone use in the car. I say "somewhat" because I do not text message and I always wear a headset and use voice activation.

As much as I'd like to do away with the damn thing, my business won't allow it. I'm on the road locally on most days and I find the car is the only time I have to return calls, not to mention almost constant incoming calls.

I'm much too young to retire and haven't hit the lottery yet so I'm sort of stuck if I want to continue earning $$$. It may be hypocritical of me but I do find the gabbers and texters on the road to be a major cause of concern.

Ditto here, though I'm chaffed by others actions in using the device.
A high tech phone with a wireless headset makes it acceptable but still requires a hightened sense of awareness during use. Text while driving - NO - NO - NEVER!!

I doubt any lobby is controlling this, probably falls in the same category as The Prohibition Movement. Hard to legislate against something involving general public involvement and acceptance.

Motard

Motard

What did such businesses do before cell-phones? And if the constant inbounds are that time-sensitive, then you need to be at a desk to deal with them while somebody else handles the road. OH but right- companies are too cheep to do stuff like that! Let me know what company you work for so I can vote with my dollars. With all due respect, ask yourself if you really want to work for a company that endorses such unsafe behaviour (and apparently cares so little for your safety as well as that of the public). I know I don't.

Last edited:
Not to pick on you but why do YOU or your business allows it ?

First to clarify, when I say my business, I mean the nature of my business, not my company. My company does a fair amount to promote safe driving right down to requiring all of us to periodically take a driver safety course.

In the service driven world we live in, either I provide or someone else does. I am a fully commissioned sales person for a major foodservice company and while I love my job (on most days), I still have to be available to my customers. Chefs are a fickle bunch and always looking for an excuse to save a dime or call a competitor. Gone are the days of leaving a message on voice mail. We used to have phone cards to use at pay phones until they became obsolete. Now we all have cell phones and air cards for the laptops. We are all becoming victims of technology.

I can say for certain that I rarely chit-chat on the cell phone unless I'm parked somewhere. And whenever possible, I will answer and offer to call the person back. I've also been known to attract the attention of the police because I've pulled over to talk! They were kind enough to thank me each time it's happened.

is this where I ask which helmet and bluetooth work well?::laugh :laugh :laugh
just added comments on the other thread about a button for...

We got cut off as we turned left onto a major highway yesterday. we were behind a dually and as we cleared the left turn and the road widened, we signalled and made our way into the "slow" lane...Mr Dually with hand to head decided to not signal and came over on my tail and in front of Helen...then as I held my finger/thumb to helmet and looked him in the eye, he gets pissed and while never putting phone down hounds us all the way, riding as close to our lane next to us. I slowed and let traffic carry him away....MORON ...prob talking about the game

my phone rang for first time in several weeks yesterday when we were sitting around near the bikes, it scared me!...wrong #:banghead . It rides in tailbag awaiting EMERGENCY use...I guess I am old school also

several bills are proposed every other year by jr Legislators(in our 1800's era bi yearly sessions) but quietly disappear...you have to think LOBBYISTS do have influence...free phone there Senator?:fight

Hang up and drive!

If you follow these student thesis to it's conclusion you'll see their study indicates cell phone usage does not lead to a higher rate of accidents. Using a cell phone while driving is distracting to be sure, but most often it causes drivers to slow down, not to speed up. Usually the guy/gal in the left hand lane on the Interstate going 45 is inevitably chatting away, oblivious to what's going on around them. I think a more interesting (but probably impossible) study would be to see how many accidents are the result of someone changing lanes to avoid Mr./Mrs. Magoo who are running up their minutes at the expense of the normal flow of traffic.

I can't wait for the day I can throw mine in an active volcano along with my laptop...but for now it's how I make my living:banghead

If you follow these student thesis to it's conclusion you'll see their study indicates cell phone usage does not lead to a higher rate of accidents. Using a cell phone while driving is distracting to be sure, but most often it causes drivers to slow down, not to speed up. Usually the guy/gal in the left hand lane on the Interstate going 45 is inevitably chatting away, oblivious to what's going on around them. I think a more interesting (but probably impossible) study would be to see how many accidents are the result of someone changing lanes to avoid Mr./Mrs. Magoo who are running up their minutes at the expense of the normal flow of traffic.

Are studies valid ? - I've wondered just how many responsible for fender bender accidents are quick to pony up an admission that the were talking on the cell at the time of the mishap. Few I would expect, especially in that many states have regulations concerning use.
Do the police at the scene of deadly accidents recover all phones and follow up on the phone log?
I wonder how many students' thesis are biased towards rationalizing a cultural practice.

Motard

Old-school guys: put that turned-off phone in a pocket in your jacket so that if you should find yourself separated from the bike and incapacitated, you can still call 911.

GPS units should be built into the phones that would trigger the off switch when ground speeds exceed 5 mph.

+1 :thumb :thumb All numbers except 911 should get blocked that way. What I don't get is what people yak about a 6 AM?? Any nail/hair salons open at that time??:banghead :banghead

I wonder how many on this forum do, when riding, have their phone active through one of the many on board distractions available to the touring rider? However, having somewhat of an armchair politician bend to me, I might also argue that even the on board communications between rider and pillion may also have the same affect.:dunno

Along the same line.... I recently conceded to the argument that a GPS is much safer than looking at your tankbag map and related info.... now I'm shopping for a GPS .... in addition having a wired communication with pillion aka Mary. No cell connection....don't want one.... but it may be hypocritical to bitch about the cell phone user while I am plugged into GPS and onboard communicators. And, just to drone on a bit more, at what point do we really depart from the journey when techno-content bombards the experience? (BTW.... talking with Mary while riding makes me go faster :rofl :blush ) -Bob

it is entirely possible that there are some drivers in the world that have the capacity to drive and talk on a cell phone and still be a better driver (more defensive and better operating skills) than the majority of the drivers i have seen out there. let's face it, we see plenty of boneheaded moves from people that arent on the phone at all. fortunately, i'm totally willing to restrict the freedoms of these more talented people in an effort to protect myself from people that lack the skills. however, i cannot support a partial ban that discriminates against mobile phones, because it won't make me as safe as possible.

i support a ban on EVERYTHING that distracts drivers, not just cell phones. i believe that life, and navigating our roadways in particular, should be risk free, which is why i always try to be out on the roads on my motorcycle. (as everyone knows, it's the safest way to travel, because i can accelerate out of dangerous situations.)

punishing talented people because of the behavior of dolts is something i relish. but where to start?

cell phone use obviously - this has been covered extensively. let's just assume that they are always a problem for all drivers and ban them.

some people argue that the process of having even a hands-free conversation using a cell phone is a distraction. i agree. but talking on the phone in a hands-free method is just like talking to a passenger. so we obviously need to ban any sort of in-depth conversation while driving. this includes people who talk to themselves. (you know who you are.)

we should ban having children in the car, because i have passed COUNTLESS vehicles in my life where the parents are looking at, talking to, fussing over, or disciplining their kids while they should be 100% focused on driving. i've seen cars swerving all over the place because the kids were acting up. so no kids in cars. (it's a miracle neither of my parents crashed as when we were growing up, it seems like they had to constantly reach back and smack us kids for horsing around.)

Eating/drinking - that's an easy one. i saw a guy this morning coming in to work eating some sort of mcdonalds looking sandwich. he was holding the wrapper in one hand, and the sandwich in the other. i guess he was steering with his knee? whatever, he was swerving and jerking around, almost came into my lane, then he sat at a newly turned green light for 15 seconds until he got honked at. i've also seen people drinking soda from a can, and they have to take one hand off the wheel, and tilt their head way back to get it all. idiots!

shaving or applying makeup - the shaving one kills me - when i see a guy in a car on his morning commute whipping his braun over his face. (don't the little hairs go all over his lap?!) and i've seen countless women applying makeup with either the visor down, or by turning their rear view mirror so they can see their own face. this is not the proper use of the mirror. these people are also dangerous. so we should ban grooming in cars.

crying - last week i was on my way home from work and the car in front of me was driving erratically. i like to put as much distance between cars like that and me, so i accelerated to about 80mph to pass the car. as i did i looked over and the driver was a young lady, and she was visibly upset. i don't know what had happened, but she was literally sobbing, and i'm sure her vision was impaired by the tears and she did not seem properly dedicated to the task of driving.

radios - get rid of them! in high school one of the kids i knew wrecked his car while fiddling with the stereo. my sister did the same thing. i say just remove the distraction, and get rid of it.

GPS/navigation computers - these are horrible for drivers, theyre always fiddling with them and not paying attention. theyre a total safety hazard. dont look at the map, look at the road!

paper maps - again, ban these while the car is in motion. you should only be looking outside the car, not at the map.

cameras - i have used my camera while driving several times, and in retrospect i realize that it was dangerous.

falling asleep - lots of wrecks are caused by drowsiness. having a law that prohibits sleeping while driving is a good idea. personally, i can't believe no one has thought of this before.

what else? :scratch

...ditto. Have you ever set down in an isolation tank and floated..... the resident input sparking in the darkness? I find that riding can approximate that state at times. Maybe we take the 'wrong path' with us..... and avoid ourselves in the process. -Bob

it is entirely possible that there are some drivers in the world that have the capacity to drive and talk on a cell phone and still be a better driver (more defensive and better operating skills) than the majority of the drivers i have seen out there. let's face it, we see plenty of boneheaded moves from people that arent on the phone at all. fortunately, i'm totally willing to restrict the freedoms of these more talented people in an effort to protect myself from people that lack the skills. however, i cannot support a partial ban that discriminates against mobile phones, because it won't make me as safe as possible.

i support a ban on EVERYTHING that distracts drivers, not just cell phones. i believe that life, and navigating our roadways in particular, should be risk free, which is why i always try to be out on the roads on my motorcycle. (as everyone knows, it's the safest way to travel, because i can accelerate out of dangerous situations.)

punishing talented people because of the behavior of dolts is something i relish. but where to start?

cell phone use obviously - this has been covered extensively. let's just assume that they are always a problem for all drivers and ban them.

some people argue that the process of having even a hands-free conversation using a cell phone is a distraction. i agree. but talking on the phone in a hands-free method is just like talking to a passenger. so we obviously need to ban any sort of in-depth conversation while driving. this includes people who talk to themselves. (you know who you are.)

we should ban having children in the car, because i have passed COUNTLESS vehicles in my life where the parents are looking at, talking to, fussing over, or disciplining their kids while they should be 100% focused on driving. i've seen cars swerving all over the place because the kids were acting up. so no kids in cars. (it's a miracle neither of my parents crashed as when we were growing up, it seems like they had to constantly reach back and smack us kids for horsing around.)

Eating/drinking - that's an easy one. i saw a guy this morning coming in to work eating some sort of mcdonalds looking sandwich. he was holding the wrapper in one hand, and the sandwich in the other. i guess he was steering with his knee? whatever, he was swerving and jerking around, almost came into my lane, then he sat at a newly turned green light for 15 seconds until he got honked at. i've also seen people drinking soda from a can, and they have to take one hand off the wheel, and tilt their head way back to get it all. idiots!

shaving or applying makeup - the shaving one kills me - when i see a guy in a car on his morning commute whipping his braun over his face. (don't the little hairs go all over his lap?!) and i've seen countless women applying makeup with either the visor down, or by turning their rear view mirror so they can see their own face. this is not the proper use of the mirror. these people are also dangerous. so we should ban grooming in cars.

crying - last week i was on my way home from work and the car in front of me was driving erratically. i like to put as much distance between cars like that and me, so i accelerated to about 80mph to pass the car. as i did i looked over and the driver was a young lady, and she was visibly upset. i don't know what had happened, but she was literally sobbing, and i'm sure her vision was impaired by the tears and she did not seem properly dedicated to the task of driving.

radios - get rid of them! in high school one of the kids i knew wrecked his car while fiddling with the stereo. my sister did the same thing. i say just remove the distraction, and get rid of it.

GPS/navigation computers - these are horrible for drivers, theyre always fiddling with them and not paying attention. theyre a total safety hazard. dont look at the map, look at the road!

paper maps - again, ban these while the car is in motion. you should only be looking outside the car, not at the map.

cameras - i have used my camera while driving several times, and in retrospect i realize that it was dangerous.

falling asleep - lots of wrecks are caused by drowsiness. having a law that prohibits sleeping while driving is a good idea. personally, i can't believe no one has thought of this before.

what else? :scratch

I believe modern seat designs are too cushy-comfy, giving the driver the opportunity to actually relax and enjoy themselves, which in turn could lead to a state of gentle tranquility. Thus they are a distraction and should be abolished.

I believe modern seat designs are too cushy-comfy, giving the driver the opportunity to actually relax and enjoy themselves, which in turn could lead to a state of gentle tranquility. Thus they are a distraction and should be abolished.

excellent point.

Back