• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Lets hear from all those who have their original clutch slave cylinders

I noticed that.

Maintenance? Is that item listed in BMW's maintenance schedule?

Brake fluid changes are, at least for the 1150s, aren't they? I wonder if it sits in a position that collects fluid if any is in the lines.

What fails on them? Seals? Corrosion in the bore leading to seal failure?

Its in the schedule (off the factory cd) Every year for the brakes. 2 years for the clutch????
I do all the fluids every year with a power flusher, takes less than 20 min to do Brakes & Clutch.
The same applies to my cages. Saves mucho $$$ over the long run.

Attachments

• 1150 Maintenance Schedule.pdf
    30.6 KB · Views: 18
12 years and 86,000 miles on the clutch CABLE of my R11GS. Lube the end of the cable twice a year where it fits into the clutch lever and at the other end also (cable itself needs no lubing) for longest life. I have a spare I always carry (20 minutes to change, tops) that cost me $20.
If I had a hydraulic clutch I would be changing the fluid twice a year. The clutch is used ten times more than the brakes. On my Miata the fluid turns positively black in a year if you dont change it twice a year. Given all the problems you can have with the BMW system, You really want to be changing it at least yearly. If it fails on the road you aint goin' nowhere soon. Why they had to switch from a cable is beyond me.

I dont understand the switch away from a cable either. In the cable system the release bearing isnt loaded or spinning when you are driving, only when you squeeze the clutch lever.

There is a pretty stiff spring inside the slave cylinder on the hydraulic systems that keeps the release bearing in tight contact with the push rod 100% of the time. So the release bearing has a 100% duty cycle.

This explains why the "screech" would go away when I would squeeze the clutch lever. There was enough "drag" from the fail(ing) release bearing to let some part stop spinning (and squeal from metal to metal contact). But when I would squeeze the lever, the force required to release the clutch that the release bearing would be forced to spin and the squeal would stop.

At least that's my theory. What is fact is the spring inside the clutch slave cylinder maintaining contact with the push rod & release bearing.

This is the equivalent of driving your cage with your foot resting on the clutch pedal. Just seems a little stupid to engineer it so the bearing spins 100% of the time.

Last edited:
Brake fluid changes are, at least for the 1150s, aren't they?

Yes and I've always flushed my brake and clutch systems every year or two.

But failing release bearings have nothing to do with fluid changes. Thats a matter of design and QC.

12 years and 86,000 miles on the clutch CABLE of my R11GS.

There is nothing like low-tech...or better put, there is nothing worse than high-tech, especially when it doesn't provide any gains. I'd prefer a cable like on my airhead GSes.

After reading all of your posts I got a bit worried that I've been neglecting this important bit of routine maintenance.

I tried to top off my clutch hydralic fluid by using a very small funnel to pour some into the mechanism up near the lever. What happened is that the fluid simply leaked out of the other end, down at the tranny. It made quite a mess on my garage floor.

What am I doing wrong?

I've attached a diagram of the mechanism so someone can maybe point out to me where the fluid should go.

Thanks.

Attachments

• clutch cable.jpg
    clutch cable.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 172
After reading all of your posts I got a bit worried that I've been neglecting this important bit of routine maintenance.

I tried to top off my clutch hydralic fluid by using a very small funnel to pour some into the mechanism up near the lever. What happened is that the fluid simply leaked out of the other end, down at the tranny. It made quite a mess on my garage floor.

What am I doing wrong?

I've attached a diagram of the mechanism so someone can maybe point out to me where the fluid should go.

Thanks.

You are doing fine, now change the Dilithium Crystals in the Catastrophic Converter.

2004 R1150RS, slave replaced at 10,234 miles, that's ten thousand two hundred and thirty four miles. but started leaking 400 miles before that.:fight

I dont understand the switch away from a cable either. In the cable system the release bearing isnt loaded or spinning when you are driving, only when you squeeze the clutch lever.

There is a pretty stiff spring inside the slave cylinder on the hydraulic systems that keeps the release bearing in tight contact with the push rod 100% of the time. So the release bearing has a 100% duty cycle.

This explains why the "screech" would go away when I would squeeze the clutch lever. There was enough "drag" from the fail(ing) release bearing to let some part stop spinning (and squeal from metal to metal contact). But when I would squeeze the lever, the force required to release the clutch that the release bearing would be forced to spin and the squeal would stop.

At least that's my theory. What is fact is the spring inside the clutch slave cylinder maintaining contact with the push rod & release bearing.

This is the equivalent of driving your cage with your foot resting on the clutch pedal. Just seems a little stupid to engineer it so the bearing spins 100% of the time.

I cand help but wonder why there are no comments on my observation that in the hydraulic clutch systems, the spring in the slave cylinder keeps the release bearing loaded 100% of the time. Like resting your foot on the clutch pedal in your cage.

This design seems stupid to me and would account for the short (seemingly) service life of the slave cylinder, atleast in my case where the bearing failed and overheated the fluid. :banghead

I sincerely hope I am wrong about the design.

I didnt comment because I cant believe they would make it like that! I certainly hope that isnt the case.

I cand help but wonder why there are no comments on my observation that in the hydraulic clutch systems, the spring in the slave cylinder keeps the release bearing loaded 100% of the time. Like resting your foot on the clutch pedal in your cage.

This design seems stupid to me and would account for the short (seemingly) service life of the slave cylinder, atleast in my case where the bearing failed and overheated the fluid. :banghead

I sincerely hope I am wrong about the design.

well, your last comment certainly sounds like your assertion that the design is "fact" might not be quite so factual. IS that indeed the design of the slave assembly? Does it indeed put constant pressure on the throwout bearing?

well, your last comment certainly sounds like your assertion that the design is "fact" might not be quite so factual. IS that indeed the design of the slave assembly? Does it indeed put constant pressure on the throwout bearing?

I was trying to "soften up" my statement a little and not come across as a know-it-all. I guess I failed.

When you replace the slave cylinder you must compress this spring to get the slave back on the transmission, and that static tension is applied to the release bearing 100% of the time.

Back