• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

LED taillight for R100GS

S

scqtt

My reflector (little silver bowl with light socket) for my taillight has bit the dust and I would like to replace it with an LED setup. I thought I had seen someone who makes a little flat plate that just replaces the refelctor, it was covered with LEDs.

I hope changing over to a system like this will make the small R100GS tailight a little more noticeable without changing the bikes appearance. Any help?

SCQTT

My reflector (little silver bowl with light socket) for my taillight has bit the dust and I would like to replace it with an LED setup. I thought I had seen someone who makes a little flat plate that just replaces the refelctor, it was covered with LEDs.

I hope changing over to a system like this will make the small R100GS tailight a little more noticeable without changing the bikes appearance. Any help?

SCQTT

Motoraad elektrik sells them. http://www.motoelekt.com/lighting.htm

+1 On the Motorrad Elektrik unit! I have used it for many miles and it is EXCELLENT! Very bright, gets lots of attention, and very well-made too. Perhaps the most worth-the-money accessory I ever put on the bike.

VEG

Did the Motorrad Elektrik unit fit your R100R?

Thanks, mike

I'm confused, the motoraad elektrik site says the beacon 2 fits 79- 95 airheads, but not the GS's. Am I missing something?

I'm pretty sure the motorrad elektrik ones won't fit a GS - it wouldn't fit my GSPD. I installed the Gizmomill one which works FANTASTIC.

I got mine from the Beemershop. Not only are they a great place to do business with and buy parts from, they also do excellent service work (trans rebuilds, head work, etc). You can order online or just give them a call.

Maybe I'm missing a detail as well. I thought the housings were the same, but maybe they aren't. I'll have to look into this.

EDIT: a quick glance via Google Images shows that indeed the housings are different. My apologies if I got your hopes up.

Here's a beacon (pun intended) of hope though: If you can stand how they look, there are any number of big obnoxious LED lights designed for trucks or trailers that you can hang on the back of the bike. I have a friend who has such an arrangement on a 90-something R100GS. In his case, the thing is round, about 6" in diameter, and contains LOTS of bright LED's. Works pretty well.

Maybe I'm missing a detail as well. I thought the housings were the same, but maybe they aren't. I'll have to look into this.

EDIT: a quick glance via Google Images shows that indeed the housings are different. My apologies if I got your hopes up.

Here's a beacon (pun intended) of hope though: If you can stand how they look, there are any number of big obnoxious LED lights designed for trucks or trailers that you can hang on the back of the bike. I have a friend who has such an arrangement on a 90-something R100GS. In his case, the thing is round, about 6" in diameter, and contains LOTS of bright LED's. Works pretty well.

I've seen the big truck LED light mounted before - doesn't look too bad and is cheaper than the Gizmomill product. That being said, I like the "strobe/flash" of the gizmomill product - I really notice people actually STOPPING behind me in situations where traffic suddenly panic brakes. I still watch close but it makes me feel better having the flashing light. Friends who have followed me riding have really noticed a difference. They couldn't hardly see the stock single bulb setup in the daytime, but there is no missing the LED setup.

My apologies if I got your hopes up.

Dang it man!

Remind me not to ask you questions about the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus :D

Bike is 100% stock so the 18 wheeler thing is an idea, I'm too anal to give it a shot.

After all if fritz :german wanted it to look like a truck (instead of the farm tractor that the GS is) he would have put a truck light on there.

Looks like I'll give the Gizmomill one a try.

Thanks everyone.

Flashing LED Brakes

I bought a flashing LED brake light from Bob's BMW website for about $80 or so for my 93 R100GS. Installs in about 15 minutes and works great.

Back