• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

LED replacement lights for R1100/1150RT

Mike_Philippens

Certifiable User
From Germany, some very nice LED replacement lights are available for the R1100/1150RT. I have a R850RT (that's a 1100RT with a 850cc engine) and fitted them. They're replacements for the tail light/brake light and indicators. For the rear you have a complete replacement unit which can be fitted in a matter of minutes.
For the front indicators you have to remove the mirror, open the unit up and take out the bulb (duh!) and replace the glass with the LED unit.

I did the swap this evening and it's a breeze. Here are 2 instruction video's from Hornig (the German company who sells them) so you get the idea:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TkwMZmN5LhY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OhiHluKib7c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The front unit has a little bonus feature: running lights. An extra wire is provided and when you connect that to the front parking light, the front indicators light up white.

Since it's LED, and the unit's only taking 1W/3W (tail light/brake light) and 1W for the indicators, they normally won't function properly without a resistor fitted in between. On my bike it works ok because I have the Kisan Signalminder SM-5 which is prepared for LED lights. And the rear light doesn't give me any trouble because my old bike doesn't have a bulb checking thingy...

The rear units are in different colours: all clear, all red, smoke and blue. The light is just as you expect: red and orange for the indicators.

When you want to get these babies (they're gorgeous) ask specifically for the ones which are already fitted with the resistors. My rear unit wasn't, but the front indicator are (I could see them through the glass). Apparantly the read unit was old stock. The company that makes them is Whitelights
They have a EU certificate so it's legal over here in Europe to have 'm fitted. Even in Germany, where you can't even have aftermarket light bulbs without a certificate, has one. Don't know about DOT certification though...

They look very bright in the video and worth considering. What would be the cost in the US?
Not sure. Ask the guy at whitelights. There is a Shipping section on the site that says it's Ôé¼18 for overseas shipping. The US Customs office will want to add something to that I guess...

The Dutch and German BMW forum worked out a deal with them. We got Ôé¼30 rebate on an order of the rear and front units (you'd have to buy both at once). Maybe MOA could work something out with them as well.

Or maybe there is a clever businessman who wants to be a rep for them in the US. I think it's a killer product. Especially the rear light is such an improvement over the pitty excuse for a light that BMW fitted as standard. That alone is worth the upgrade.

It looks very nice, although I'd personally prefer the LED panels behind the original red/amber plastic.

I also noticed that the entire break light area is an LED panel, which means that the red reflector (ECE/DOT required) is no longer present and an independent one of the required area would have to be placed somewhere below the license plate.

I'd be very surprised if the police does not have an issue with the reflector being missing.

It looks very nice, although I'd personally prefer the LED panels behind the original red/amber plastic.

I also noticed that the entire break light area is an LED panel, which means that the red reflector (ECE/DOT required) is no longer present and an independent one of the required area would have to be placed somewhere below the license plate.

I'd be very surprised if the police does not have an issue with the reflector being missing.
A seperate red reflector with self-adhesive tape is supplied.

Back