• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Laminar Lip or Touratech Wind Deflector for GSPD stock windshield?

Zagando

BMW uber alles!
I have a '92 GSPD with the stock screen. On a ride from LA to SF wind buffeting and turbulence really bothered me most of the way.

I'll be taking a long ride down to the tip of Baja and back come November---would either of these clip-on gadgets (Laminar Lip or TT Wind Deflector) help solve the problem or should I consider something like a taller Parabellum?

I'd really prefer going with a clip-on if it will work well enough and save the extra $$ for fish tacos and cerveza:drink

Anyone have any thoughts on or experience with these?

Thanks! Jeff:clap

I have the stock w/s on my 93 PD installed for the summer and it is so much noisier than the tall aftermarket I have. Ive never tried the clip on things but I sure do like the tall w/s....more wind and rain protection as well.

I'll bear that in mind as I continue my quest.

I'd really like to hear a critique of the TT Wind Deflector (and Laminar Lip) from anyone who's used either before I make up my mind.

I'm usually inclined to ride naked bikes or ones with minimal fairings/windscreens (my old K100RS was nearly perfect in that regard) so I'm hoping to hear favorable comments about the TT...(it's under a $100, too)...it might just be right for me.

Thanks for your reply and I look forward to further comments here on the forum.

Ride safely, Jeff

I rode my '95 R1100R today for the 1st time after installing a Laminar Lip on the stock windshield. The previous (w/o the LL) rumble noise in my Nolan modular helmet was absent; a constant steady noise remains at a slightly lower volume, but no rumble. I think it works for me. What do LL users say?
Mark

Have one one my GT and it does improve the noise and airflow.

BUT!

Let buttons cure for 24 hours before installing the lip.

And don't use solvents once buttons are in place or the lip can fly away.

One reason I'm tending to lean to the Touratech is that it clips on and has a security strap to help keep it flying off... and, it's easily removable. Now I just wonder how well it works on the road. Anyone have comments about the TT?

I have the clip on Touratech and swap it around. It works well on my stock R1150, a CB 2" over on the GS and I used it going to Wisconsin on the RT...made a diff for me on any buffeting I had and you can pop it off with a flip. They have the clip on and then one that rests on edge and straps to crossbar.

Laminar Lip

I have the Laminar Lip on my 85 K100RS. First of all the 'velcro' things they use to attach it are from 3M and they are solid as heck. I'd need to take a screwdriver to pry it off - it's stayed solid up to 110 MPH, if that provides any comfort.

As far as protection, at speed it creates a pocket of undisturbed air in front of my eyes (I'm 5'10") and there is noticable airflow over the top of the helmet. Which is fine with me. I also use setback/risers that have moved the bars up and back 1.25".

If I had the bars at the stock position, my helmet would be almost completely in calm air at speed.

Thanks, guys. They both sound great so this is a tough decision.

After reading the info on A&S's website, too, (about the LL) I'm not worried about it flying off at all as I don't plan on riding much more than 75-80mph on my PD (especially on the Baja highway) anyway.

The previous owner added bar risers which I may leave on or take off; I'm 5'11" and was getting too much turbulence with this setup. but with the addition of a wind deflector it may be about perfect.

When I get to California (where my bike "lives"---I live in Hawaii) in October I'll take the risers off and see how it all feels at freeway speed before attaching whatever I decide to go with. I'm a lot older (56) than when I first rode long distances and the slightly more upright position might be better for me. So I may want to keep the risers on regardless of the wind situation.

My neck and back were pretty sore after that ride up from LA so I look forward to having a bit of calm airspace behind that tiny PD windshield---whichever add-on I go with sounds like it will make a difference.

I didn't know TT made two versions; their website just shows the one with the strap that attaches below the shield---I'll double-check.

If anyone else has experience with these devices on a PD I'd be glad to hear further comments but for now I might just flip a coin--they both appeal to me equally.

I'll post my decision and/or results once I've tried things out in the Bay Area come early November. Thanks again! ---Jeff

1992 R100GSPD "Negrito":dance

Decided on the Laminar Lip

I went ahead and ordered a Laminar Lip from A&S* ; figured it would not only control the airflow a bit more around the cockpit than the smaller TT but provide more of a downward air force over the bike's front end at speed as well.

*(Before I learned they sell them $10 cheaper at laminar.lip.com--:sick )

Thanks to all that provided input on the subject, now it's on to my next decision (Nolan N102 or Shoei Multitec)...

I too have a 92 PD and it came with the large Parabellum along with the stock. Rode with the large screen, mostly road tours, for awhile. Then I did my first off road tour. First time up on the pegs I rode out a dip and on the rebound caught the top of the tall windshield under the chin, leaving a nice cut. Upon returning I swapped over to the stock and added the Touratech clip on and never looked back. The bigger shield is a little quieter, but even after adding stiffeners it was clumsy and rattles like mad. I'm 6-0 and the current set-up works just as well height wise, puts the wind and rain up and over, but I've found that any additional noise comes from the sides.. I wish it was a little wider. Am working on making some bolt on side "wings", and in doing a little research I found that Wudo makes a bit taller and wider, but not too tall, screen. Pretty pricey though. Bottom line: I'd say stick with the lower shield with a removable top extension, especially for a Baja trip. Litttle difference in protection, removable lip is nice, and your chin will stay intact.... have a nice trip.. wish I was going too! :D

Thanks, Will; That is why I chose the LL over the TT---the sides of the screen may be what need "fixing." I think that's where most of the turbulences comes from on the stock screen. The LL creates a strong airflow that should alleviate it w/o making the screen height much taller.

My trip plans keep going back and forth from Baja to an equally long ride through the Southwest states (Big Bend/Trans Pecos area and back to CA) but now I think I'm back to my original plan of doing Baja all the way down and back.

I was really taken aback after reading many horror stories as of late about the Tijuana-Ensenada corridor---so I will cross at Tecate and ride only during daylight hours instead...

Would be nice to have a riding buddy; maybe I'll post my plans (once they're finalized) on another part of the forum in case anyone does wish to tag along. Even the 1st day San Diego/Tecate/El Rosario would be great.:wave

Back