• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Konis for my 1974 R90/6

jjmohler

Hello,
I am looking to replace the old, non-original, shocks on my 1974 R90/6 with a used set of Konis from Ebay. There are several sets available right now that all look good. My bike currently has shocks with a mounting hole spacing of approx. 13.5". The ones that is see advertised currently have hole spacing of 13.5", 12.75" or 12.625". Is there a problem with using something other than the 13.5" spacing that I currently have?

Ikon now manufactures the equivalent shock. Ted Porter Beemer Shop is one source (where I bought mine). I put them on my /5 and it's a completely different motorcycle.

Shock eye-to-eye length... never even concerned myself with it. Can't comment on that, but the folks at TPBS can.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

Koni shocks

Imo,

Thank you for the reply and your input. I don't think that it's a problem but want to be sure that I'm doing the right thing.

There are shorter editions of the Ikon shocks to fit the R65, etc. Using shorter than original shocks will lower the seat, but also lower the rear suspension relative to the front, and will reduce ground clearance and change the frame geometry and handling. I’d stick with OE-dimension replacements.

Koni shocks

Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge and experience. I went ahead and ordered a new set of Ikons knowing that I am making the right decision

Back