• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Keyless fob price reductions -- whoda thunk it?

Programming a spare key fob...reviving old thread

...With my R1200RT when I got the second fob the technician figured out to do it. He just passed the second fob over the antenna on the running RT and it started working fine....

I have a 2017 R1200RT. I bought the bike used, and got 1 keyless ride fob and 1 plastic emergency key. I decided to buy a spare fob, and I just got it a few days ago. The flip key fits my locks perfectly. However, I have been unsuccessful getting the radio transmitter to register with my bike. I tried several variants of instructions posted on the internet, including the instructions quoted above. No luck.

So, I'm looking for some ideas. Here is what will work: I can start my bike with my original fob if it is within 10 feet or so of the bike. I can start it with the emergency key placed on the shelf above the instrument panel, with the GPS removed.

I notice while I am doing this that the instrument panel has a key-shaped icon and another indication below it. Sometimes the word "SERVICE" appears briefly below the key icon. More often, there is a ? question mark symbol displayed. And finally, while trying several different locations for the spare fob, I would sometimes get two key icons stacked, with one of them showing the ? icon.

In some versions of the programming instructions, the advice is to press the BMW roundel on the fob. But that seems to make no difference in my case. As a precautionary measure, I replaced the battery in my new fob, but that also made no difference.

Your thoughts are appreciated,

Cap

Again, what is the benefit of this option?

Well is it not obvious? The benefits are.... er... nevermind.

Annie and I have keyless ignition on both our GS/As. It does save us from the arduous tasks of inserting, turning and withdrawing a key. The keyless system is not bullet proof. We were having problems with the bike not sensing the key. New batteries were of no effect, dealer said there were multiple key codes stored and clearing them helped for awhile. Turned out that our new Cardo Packtalk radios were interfering with the bike to fob communication when we wore the fob around our necks. Moving the fobs to our pants pockets solved the problem.

I have a 2017 R1200RT. I bought the bike used, and got 1 keyless ride fob and 1 plastic emergency key. I decided to buy a spare fob, and I just got it a few days ago. The flip key fits my locks perfectly. However, I have been unsuccessful getting the radio transmitter to register with my bike. I tried several variants of instructions posted on the internet, including the instructions quoted above. No luck.

I bought a replacement FOB for my 2018 R1200RT and had to remove the windshield and the top cover over the dash to get right up to the antenna before my FOB would mate up.

Again, what is the benefit of this option?

For me, not spending the hundreds of dollars at the dealership replacing the electronic start solenoid worn out after 6 years of inserting and removing the key on my ‘05 R1200RT. Remember all those threads about electronic failures when the key is turned on the 05-13 hex heads? Problem solved, no moving parts or tumblers to wear out anymore.

I bought a replacement FOB for my 2018 R1200RT and had to remove the windshield and the top cover over the dash to get right up to the antenna before my FOB would mate up.

OK, thanks. I will try that. I searched the forum for advice before reviving this old thread. If anyone else has information about the process, I would love to hear it.

Cap

Service Bulliten

You need service bulliten 66 002 15 (022). Dated Aug 2015.

The trick on my 2018 RT was to loosen the hardware so that I could slide the fob in between the dash and the "shelf" below the windshield.
If you can't get the bulliten send me a note and I'll scan it for you.

I would think that once starting the bike with the original FOB present, and then moving the original FOB from the area while trying to train the new FOB would be helpful.
They get confused when multiple FOBs and other electronic equipment is present, so try that before disassembling your front end.

I would think that once starting the bike with the original FOB present, and then moving the original FOB from the area while trying to train the new FOB would be helpful.
They get confused when multiple FOBs and other electronic equipment is present, so try that before disassembling your front end.

I moved the original FOB 100 feet away and the new one would not pair until pulled the windshield and the top dash panel off.

I moved the original FOB 100 feet away and the new one would not pair until pulled the windshield and the top dash panel off.

Does this mean that if I bought a fob I could go find a bike and get the new fob to pair with it? I am fuzzy on this issue.

Fob

Here are are the instructions for programming a new fob. I have done this to three bikes with no problems.
the only issue that I have run into was getting the fob close enough to the antenna which required pulling the
two screws on top of the shelf to create a space to slide the body of the
new fob into.

View attachment fob.pdf

fob

I don't think so. When the fob is ordered it's for a specific bike via your ID and the vin number and pink slip that's why they require id and title. You cannot go up to any bike and pair it.

I don't think so. When the fob is ordered it's for a specific bike via your ID and the vin number and pink slip that's why they require id and title. You cannot go up to any bike and pair it.

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

Check the “Important Note” that is the last paragraph of the SI bulletin that was posted. Fobs are VIN-specific.

Best,
DeVern

I disagree. The only thing VIN specific is the flip out key. The elecronics in the FOB are not. If the FOB was VIN specific, why doesn't come mated to the motorcycle out of the package. BMW should know the specific frequency code by the VIN so it shouldn't have to be mated if it was true.

(On the other hand, I might be wrong!)

Does this mean that if I bought a fob I could go find a bike and get the new fob to pair with it? I am fuzzy on this issue.

Thanks for these responses, they are helpful. Yes, when we buy a spare key fob from BMW, they come with the flip key already cut for our bike based on the VIN supplied at time of purchase. However, the radio transmitter has not been activated for our bike. So, we need to perform a process in which the new spare key fob becomes activated. That is what I have been unable to accomplish.

There are some videos on YouTube that seem show a trivial process of waving the new fob over the area in front of the dash panel, after the bike has been turned on with another key present, and instantly the new fob is registered. I wish that worked for me, but it doesn't. I have been tinkering with this for several days. I have been avoiding removal of the bodywork -- but it seems that is the next step. Actually, I think it might be easier to remove the left-side speaker rather than the topside dash cover.

And yes, I could take it to the dealer, but they want $100+ for the service, and that seems a bit much, considering I already paid close to $300 for the fob itself.

Cap

Thanks for these responses, they are helpful. Yes, when we buy a spare key fob from BMW, they come with the flip key already cut for our bike based on the VIN supplied at time of purchase. However, the radio transmitter has not been activated for our bike. So, we need to perform a process in which the new spare key fob becomes activated. That is what I have been unable to accomplish.

There are some videos on YouTube that seem show a trivial process of waving the new fob over the area in front of the dash panel, after the bike has been turned on with another key present, and instantly the new fob is registered. I wish that worked for me, but it doesn't. I have been tinkering with this for several days. I have been avoiding removal of the bodywork -- but it seems that is the next step. Actually, I think it might be easier to remove the left-side speaker rather than the topside dash cover.

And yes, I could take it to the dealer, but they want $100+ for the service, and that seems a bit much, considering I already paid close to $300 for the fob itself.

Cap

A dealer that wants $100 to pair a fob has revealed that the dealership is a place to be avoided. I purchased spare fobs for my GSA and Annie's GS. In one case the service manger paired the fob and in the other case the sales manger did the same. No charge

Here are are the instructions for programming a new fob.... required pulling the
two screws on top of the shelf to create a space to slide the body of the new fob into.

Thanks! That did the trick. By pulling the two screws at the top corners of the dash cover, you can lift it up a bit. The screws are T25 and are accessible by raising the windscreen. I used a long needle-nose plier to hold the flip key, and inserted the fob into the gap just above the instrument pod and below the GPS dock, while raising the loose dash.

The BMW service bulletin doesn't specify how you are supposed to turn the ignition button on -- that is, using the emergency key or your original fob. So, I used my original fob by placing it on the motorcycle seat. I pushed the ignition button, waited for boot up, and then inserted the new fob into the enlarged gap above the instrument pod. Nothing happened immediately. I moved it around for ~10 seconds, and then the instrument panel indicated a key icon with a ? symbol below it. I turned off the ignition, and moved both key fobs out of range to verify non-start. And then, I tried the new fob, and it worked (for the first time).

Cap

Back