• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Key Management

daveycrocket

A bit of a noobie questions but I would like thoughts of how you manage the key for your motorcycle. I have a '13 F800GT and the key is very small. I've dropped it several times and worried it's sure to get lost when I'm out somewhere.

With my car I only have one, large, key fob but it's easy to handle. I don't want a clunky key chain scratching up the bike.

So...what do you do?

IMG_5740.JPG

I have my bike key, trunk key and house keys on different rings, but clipped together using a small carabiner. I use the carabiner to clip the keys to myself, backpack, belt loop what have you when I am away from the bike.

I put a tie-wrap through the hole in the key, just to enlarge the "knob" and make it easier to handle.
Since I sometimes deal with multiple bikes from other people, I'll match the color of the tie-wrap to the color of the bike.

who says that my key ever leaves the bike

???

ok, almost kidding.... the only time that mine does is when i am traveling or at night when i am parked in front of a hotel... (now that i am thinking about this, i wonder if i should be posting this on a group site with over 30K members). But when i leave the bike and need the key, i put it in my fanny pack (now, i've REALLY dated myself!!!)

???

ok, almost kidding.... the only time that mine does is when i am traveling or at night when i am parked in front of a hotel... (now that i am thinking about this, i wonder if i should be posting this on a group site with over 30K members). But when i leave the bike and need the key, i put it in my fanny pack (now, i've REALLY dated myself!!!)

I got a bad cut when I bought a second key and you have to know exactly how to jiggle and the exact distance to pull it out of the slot....I leave it in. Plus my scoot's 16 Y.O. steal this bike!

I have acquired similar key tags from the MOA, Wunderlich, Hexcode(GS-911), and Sena at rallies as a freebe. If you attend rallys and visit the vendor areas you are likely to acquire a nice collection. Like grendellion I find key tags very useful while on rides. The brighter the color the better. I have a bad habit of misplacing keys when staying over night on the road. These items have eased that concern, it's been at least 20 years since a misplaced key has ended up lost.

I always carry a backup key in my jacket for use if my key isn't found when it's time to ride to the next destination. This I consider a necessity especially on rides to distant destinations like cross country, Alaska, Newfoundland etc. It hasn't been needed thankfully. To ruin a planned trip because of a misplaced key isn't acceptable. It's always better to be prepared.

I have acquired similar key tags from the MOA, Wunderlich, Hexcode(GS-911), and Sena at rallies as a freebe. If you attend rallys and visit the vendor areas you are likely to acquire a nice collection. Like grendellion I find key tags very useful while on rides. The brighter the color the better. I have a bad habit of misplacing keys when staying over night on the road. These items have eased that concern, it's been at least 20 years since a misplaced key has ended up lost.

I always carry a backup key in my jacket for use if my key isn't found when it's time to ride to the next destination. This I consider a necessity especially on rides to distant destinations like cross country, Alaska, Newfoundland etc. It hasn't been needed thankfully. To ruin a planned trip because of a misplaced key isn't acceptable. It's always better to be prepared.

Great idea on a secondary key. For now I'll buy something soft and bright and hopefully acquire a few more down the road. Especially in weather I'll go through some fairly quickly, guessing.

Thank you to all the respondents with your great ideas!

Seems like it didn't or doesn't matter what I use. I lost count of the number of times I left it right there in the ignition. Now one my '16 R 1200 RS, I seem to leave it in the seat lock. I can vouch - that key-socket, keeps one hell of a grip on the key & fob. Far too many miles to find I get to where I am going and there it is, right where I left it. Thank you very much BMW. :thumb

Seems like it didn't or doesn't matter what I use. I lost count of the number of times I left it right there in the ignition. Now one my '16 R 1200 RS, I seem to leave it in the seat lock. I can vouch - that key-socket, keeps one hell of a grip on the key & fob. Far too many miles to find I get to where I am going and there it is, right where I left it. Thank you very much BMW. :thumb

I often lost my R11RS key in the seat lock........

My spare key goes on my dog tag chain around my neck. If I am on the bike, my dog tags are around my neck. No exceptions.

it is part of the deal I made with my wife when I started riding again 25 years ago. it is so they can identify the carcass and return it to her for proper burial. The second part of the deal is to keep my insurance paid up. We have some laughs about the "deal" over the years, but it was a good idea.

The plastic "valet" key is secured inside one of the headlight covers and a spare set is locked in the "glovebox" on the dash.

So far, so good..

Back