• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K75S tipped over on left side and leaked oil

stewby

I was about to put it in the garage and my boot got caught on the sidestand and the bike gently went over on its left side. When it was uprighted it had leaked oil from somewhere near the rear of the engine. Do you know where it would have leaked from and is this a normal occurance under this circumstance? Bike doesn't drip any oil otherwise. This is my first K-bike.

Thanks

A couple of dumb questions first:

1. Are you sure it's engine oil and not something else - like battery fluid, sludgy greasy water, etc?

2. Does the bike start/run since the tip-over?

3. Have you kept track of the engine oil level since the tip-over? In other words, after the bike tipped over, and you noticed the bike leaked oil, did you notice there was visibly less oil in the engine after than before?

A couple of dumb questions first:

1. Are you sure it's engine oil and not something else - like battery fluid, sludgy greasy water, etc?

2. Does the bike start/run since the tip-over?

3. Have you kept track of the engine oil level since the tip-over? In other words, after the bike tipped over, and you noticed the bike leaked oil, did you notice there was visibly less oil in the engine after than before?

1 Yes, it was engine oil. Someone else looked at it too.

2 Bike started right up.

3 Didn't lose much oil, enough to make a 3 inch diameter stain. This just happened today so I haven't ridden it since then.

1 Yes, it was engine oil. Someone else looked at it too.

2 Bike started right up.

3 Didn't lose much oil, enough to make a 3 inch diameter stain. This just happened today so I haven't ridden it since then.

A 3 inch circle of oil is less then a quater of an ounce...as long as the engine is not leaking oil statically or while running it does not sound like anything to worry about.:)

My first hunch was that this oil was pooled somewhere else on the engine, and when the bike tipped over, it dribbled out thanks to gravity.

If the bike isn't otherwise loosing oil, and it runs just as well as it did before the tip-over, I think all is fine. I would make an extra effort to check the oil level before each ride for the next couple of rides just in case.

Funny you should mention that....

I did the same thing, sorta, with my bike a few days ago, ( post down the list on that). Anyway, that same 3" puddle appeared, and in my case at least, it was diffinately stinky 90 wt gear oil:huh . If you stuck your finger in it, it should have been really thick, and may even still smell bad, :hungover , my wife hates the stuff. So it would be trans oil, although I haven't found it yet, there must be a vent that leaks when sideways,....not the movie!:rofl If your's did exactly as mine, the shifter rubber is now loose on the shaft, and rotates when your toe hits it. Amazing how annoying that is. I finally took it off, used carb cleaner, and glued that thing in one place! KC

KC is right :thumb The tranny vent is on the top front left corner of the tranny (right behind your coils and accessory plug).

When the bike falls on it's left side, the vent is now on the lower left side of the tranny, hence the leak.:doh

My suggestion would be, in the future, to drop the bike on it's RIGHT side thereby putting the vent at the UPPER right side of the tranny and hence NO LEAKS.:buds

:dance :dance :dance

KC is right :thumb The tranny vent is on the top front left corner of the tranny (right behind your coils and accessory plug).

When the bike falls on it's left side, the vent is now on the lower left side of the tranny, hence the leak.:doh

My suggestion would be, in the future, to drop the bike on it's RIGHT side thereby putting the vent at the UPPER right side of the tranny and hence NO LEAKS.:buds

:dance :dance :dance

Ahhh, so it was transmission oil coming thru the vent. You're right, next time I'll make sure the bike falls on its right side!

Thanks for all the responses!

Back