• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K75S Maintenance

Next Question:
What is the best way to drain & refill the cooling system?

Do I have to disconnect, drain, and remove the gas tank first?

There is a drain plug on the left side of the water pump, just below the oil pressure sender.

You do not have to drain or remove the fuel tank.

Remove the seat.
Remove the two rear clips on the tank, lift rear of tank about 4".
Look under the tank along the right frame rail about 9" from the rear of the tank.

You should see one of two things:

Two hoses attached to two nipples on the bottom of the tank. The front hose is the tank vent. It runs forward to a nipple on top of the engine block just below the fan. (not what you really want as it puts fuel vapor and possibly raw fuel into your crankcase). The rear hose is the filler cap rain drain. Open the filler cap and look for a hole at the 9 O'clock position. This hole drains through a tube inside the tank to the rear nipple on the bottom then through the hose to the ground behind the right peg plate. Don't ever turn the filler cap around as it will cover this hole and allow water to accumulate around the filler and then enter the tank.

OR

There will be no hoses and there will be a black plastic 1"x2" cup ("air accumulator" p/n 16132307467 $2.23) inside the right frame rail just in front of the cross tube. This will be directly below the two nipples on the tank. The nipples drain into this cup and then out through a hose on the bottom of the cup to the peg plate area. (If you change to this setup, you MUST cap the nipple on top of the engine block so there is not a vacuum leak. Use the rain drain hose to drain the cup.)

If you have the hoses, remove them from the bottom of the tank (keep track of which is which; forward nipple-hose runs forward, rear nipple hose runs rearward).

Slide tank to the rear and to the left to expose the radiator fill cap. Do not strain the two high pressure fuel hoses on the left front of the tank. You need to check the coolant level AT THE RADIATOR CAP at least once a year and before any long trips. Check the overflow hose between the filler cap and the overflow bottle for ANY cracks (especially next to the clamps). Replace if there are ANY cracks. Cracks here will allow air to be sucked into he radiator.

Before you change the coolant, inspect he fan. Pull snorkel out of air filter box then pull towards rear to remove. Reach in and spin the fan with your fingers. It SHOULD spin freely with only the drag of the motor brushes. If it is stiff or frozen, you need to deal with this before worrying about changing coolant.

Drain at drain plug. Fill at radiator cap. Run bike on center stand with the cap off until the fan comes on (about 10 min). Red coolant light should NOT come on before the fan. Shut off bike. Top off. Allow to cool for a couple hours. Top off again. Put on cap.
Fill overflow bottle to just below max. Put tank and seat back on (don't forget the vent hoses if your bike has them.)

USE DISTILLED WATER with your 50/50 mix.

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
OK OK - I was distracted when I developed my response to the question, cut me some slack here guys...:hungover

I'm going to say 3500 miles on the tires since I put them on...daily riding and a big ol' road trip with the lads.

I dunno about 37/40 for tire pressures though. Clymer says 33/36 is already on the high side for one up riding. What does the K75 manual say? I cant put a hand on mine.

What do the other guys say?

Sorry for the derail...

I use 36/36 on my bike. I feel the higher front pressure gives better turn-in. The lower rear pressure gives me slightly better tire life without sacrificing handling.

That being said, I get terrible tire mileage due to how and where I ride. But I don't care, I just want a tire that handles and sticks!:bolt

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
Back