• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K75 starter

cayuse60

Maine Rider
Since I have the machine out of service for maintenance, I pulled the starter for internal inspection. From viewing electrical connection it appeared the starter had been electrically disconnected previous to my ownership.:idea Removing the nut from the electrial connection was difficult...original nut had been replaced with a locking type...it proved to be a problem to remove.
Once electrical connection was disconnected, the starter removal was text book. I was able to dissassemble the starter with some effort.:) Found the internal plastic insulator for the electrical connetion in pieces inside the case housing. This insulator is a weak spot in the starter and could lead to starter voltage going directly to ground.:( Was able to glue all pieces of the insulator back togeather and checked with an ohm meter for any shorts to case ground before reinstalling the brush assmbly and armature.

Could this be a possible cause for many hard starting issues...starter amperage partially shorting to ground?:dunno

---tim

Last edited:
Back