• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K1200LT Starts, Runs Briefly.

I have searched previous threads and have not come across this. Here goes. Week One; 2000 Lt, ABS begins to flash during riding, does not interfere with operation of bike. Battery (BMW Gel Cell)was working fine. Dead battery one morning, no apparent reason. Charged, had load tested, checked good. Bike was ridden for a few days, battery died again overnite. Charged, load tested checked good. Alternator output 13.7, high beams, radio, etc have no negative effect on alt output, monitored discharge as bike sat, seem to lose about a 1/2 volt a day. Unhook positive cable and check for draw. Radio memory and all that were nondescript as far as amperage/voltage were concerned. Bike started one morning ran for 15 seconds and died, would crank but not start. Week Two: battery seems to be holding a charge, rode the bike for several short hops. ABS still blinking (needs reset?). Bike again started and ran for 15 seconds and then died. Cranks but won't start. The bike has not had previous issues with electrical gremlins. Any suggestions?

I have searched previous threads and have not come across this. Here goes. Week One; 2000 Lt, ABS begins to flash during riding, does not interfere with operation of bike. Battery (BMW Gel Cell)was working fine. Dead battery one morning, no apparent reason. Charged, had load tested, checked good. Bike was ridden for a few days, battery died again overnite. Charged, load tested checked good. Alternator output 13.7, high beams, radio, etc have no negative effect on alt output, monitored discharge as bike sat, seem to lose about a 1/2 volt a day. Unhook positive cable and check for draw. Radio memory and all that were nondescript as far as amperage/voltage were concerned. Bike started one morning ran for 15 seconds and died, would crank but not start. Week Two: battery seems to be holding a charge, rode the bike for several short hops. ABS still blinking (needs reset?). Bike again started and ran for 15 seconds and then died. Cranks but won't start. The bike has not had previous issues with electrical gremlins. Any suggestions?

you might consider taking this over to the BWMLT.com forums... Lots of good help over there.

Do you know how old the battery is?

I would consider a replacement just a matter of general maintenance on the bike... The http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/East-Penn-Battery/_/N-8gcxb?itemIdentifier=178908_0_0_
Did the trick for me with a few quick mods and was available in stock local.

If it cranks it might not be the battery. are you sure you have fuel?

Back