• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

k1100rs tires

B

biblek

Hello,
I purchased a 1996 k1100rs. The bike currently has Mtzeler MEZ4 tires.
I want some recommendations for a long life sport touring tire.
All input greatly appreciated.

Biblek

tires

I just purchased a k1100rs this past july.
Mounted bridgestone battle axe. I have 3600 miles in 7 weeks. Radial Tires seem to be wearing fine.
You can get metzler bais tires for the 1100rs. I had tried at my favorite aftermarket store. However this is the first bike I have had that uses radials soo figured why not, eh?
Just keep them full of air should help with the longevity.

Do you do your own tires?

tim lindstrom
91k100lt 136,000 miles
95k1100rs 26,000 miles

Hello,
I purchased a 1996 k1100rs. The bike currently has Mtzeler MEZ4 tires.
I want some recommendations for a long life sport touring tire.
All input greatly appreciated.

Biblek

"Long life" and "sport" are at cross purposes, but modern tires do a pretty good job of bridging that gap. I would suggest a set of Metzeler Z6's. They are a much better handling tire than the Z4's, and on my K1200RS I got 9,400 miles out of my last set. For the stick and handling they provide I think that is excellent life. Michelin has their new Pilot Road2 tires out with a dual compound construction, but I've not talked with anyone who's used them. Both tires should be a big step up from the Z4's.

"Long life" and "sport" are at cross purposes, but modern tires do a pretty good job of bridging that gap. I would suggest a set of Metzeler Z6's. They are a much better handling tire than the Z4's, and on my K1200RS I got 9,400 miles out of my last set. For the stick and handling they provide I think that is excellent life. Michelin has their new Pilot Road2 tires out with a dual compound construction, but I've not talked with anyone who's used them. Both tires should be a big step up from the Z4's.

Thank you for the input Greg. I think I will try a set of the Z6s next. the 9000 + miles is great. This is my first BMW so I have a lot to learn. I have put about 5000 miles on the bike and it is great.

Thank you again,
Kenan Bible

not a fan of B'stones. had them on my '94 K11RS, and they cupped something awful.
found great success with the Pilot Roads- about 10K miles, and plenty of stick. I'm a pretty aggressive rider, so unless you're hitting track time on the bike, tehy should be jsut fine for ya. fwiw- i'm trying my first Z6 on my R11S, and like it okay, tho i slightly prefer the Diablo Strada or Conti Road Attack for feel and grip.

Pilot Roads

not a fan of B'stones. had them on my '94 K11RS, and they cupped something awful.
found great success with the Pilot Roads- about 10K miles, and plenty of stick. I'm a pretty aggressive rider, so unless you're hitting track time on the bike, tehy should be jsut fine for ya. fwiw- i'm trying my first Z6 on my R11S, and like it okay, tho i slightly prefer the Diablo Strada or Conti Road Attack for feel and grip.

Thank you for the info. on the Pilots - I have never tried a set of the Michelin's. Anything that will do 10K gets my vote.

Tires

Motorcycle tires are probably the hardest tire to choose and choose corectly for the type ridding one does. Needing new tires for my K100LT, I too this week searched these forums.

Not to slight anyone's opinion of what tire is best, I decided to find the rider that seemed to ride in all weather and need a high milage tire. The person I chose to advise me is Paul Glaves, the person that writes the 'Bench Wrenching' article in the MOA mag.

Too make a story short he uses Metzler ME 880 on all his bikes. I was dead set on Pirelli Sport Demons, but I ordered the ME 880s. That was good enough for
me.

Many others really like this tire also for rain and long wear.

Ralph Sims

Tires

Motorcycle tires are probably the hardest tire to choose and choose corectly for the type ridding one does. Needing new tires for my K100LT, I too this week searched these forums.

Not to slight anyone's opinion of what tire is best, I decided to find the rider that seemed to ride in all weather and need a high milage tire. The person I chose to advise me is Paul Glaves, the person that writes the 'Bench Wrenching' article in the MOA mag.

Too make a story short he uses Metzler ME 880 on all his bikes. I was dead set on Pirelli Sport Demons, but I ordered the ME 880s. That was good enough for
me.

Many others really like this tire also for rain and long wear.

Ralph Sims

This is certainly sound advice. I will probably try a set of the Mitchelin Road Pilot's and a set of the ME880s and do my own comparison. At least I now have a starting point.
Thanks to everyone for their input.

Back