• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K1100 Clock internal lighting

KCinSB

Has anyone replaced the internal clock lamp/bulb? ;) It looks like a real exercise, but I'm game if it can actually be done. Has anyone here done it before? The parts man couldn't even find a good parts book illustration, and therefore I'm not even sure it can be changed.:confused: maybe you have to buy the whole clock. I do alot of night commuting, most people probably don't even care if that little square clock has a light! :laugh KC

Has anyone replaced the internal clock lamp/bulb? ;) It looks like a real exercise, but I'm game if it can actually be done. Has anyone here done it before? The parts man couldn't even find a good parts book illustration, and therefore I'm not even sure it can be changed.:confused: maybe you have to buy the whole clock. I do alot of night commuting, most people probably don't even care if that little square clock has a light! :laugh KC

It's the same as the K100 instrument cluster... the bulbs can be changed. In fact, my clock bulb is burned out at the moment also. It's not a difficult job, but it will take a little time as the whole cluster needs to be pulled off the bike. I seem to recall that required removing the windshield to get at the four bolts that hold it to it's bracket. Then 6 screws in the cluster housing, pull the parts apart, find the offending bulb, replace it. Some of them require removing a few more screws and pulling out the whole mechanical innards, but I think the clock bulb is accessibly without doing all that. Curse at the rubber seal while trying to get it nice and flat while sliding the housing back together, then reinstall. Probably a 2 hour job.

Since you're going in... consider amber bulbs all the way around, numerous K owners seem to prefer them over the green bulbs. I like green...

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll give it a go soon. For some reason I kind of convinced myself that the clock was in it's own little case or something, and not lighted like the rest of the Pod. I'll replace all bulbs while in there that's for sure, and test the thing before final install. I like the green too.. KC

Do any BMW bikes come with stock red instrument lighting?

One thing that makes BMW unique among automobile manufacturers is that they (and I believe also Saab) uses red back lighting on the instruments, which is very "aircrafty". Red light is also supposed to be easier on the eyes in low light situations.

Ever been on a nuclear submarine? All the instrument lighting is red.

Just wondering if the green back lights on the motorrad products is for a reason, or if some bikes have stock instrument panels that are red.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll give it a go soon. For some reason I kind of convinced myself that the clock was in it's own little case or something, and not lighted like the rest of the Pod. I'll replace all bulbs while in there that's for sure, and test the thing before final install. I like the green too.. KC

Nope, sorry, it is a snap-out unit but you still have to pull the whole instrument cluster apart to get to it.

Do any BMW bikes come with stock red instrument lighting?

One thing that makes BMW unique among automobile manufacturers is that they (and I believe also Saab) uses red back lighting on the instruments, which is very "aircrafty". Red light is also supposed to be easier on the eyes in low light situations.

Ever been on a nuclear submarine? All the instrument lighting is red.

Just wondering if the green back lights on the motorrad products is for a reason, or if some bikes have stock instrument panels that are red.

I don't know if any came from the factory with red lighting... but I have seen a few changed over to it. I wonder if the bulbs come from their cars then??

Back