• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

k100rs handling issues/ bars too small?

bill190d

greetings. I have an 89 K100rs. since getting it in oct06 I've had a bit of a challenge with the handling especially in a crosswind. I figured it was because I had to get used to it's style but after 6k mi. I haven't gotten a whole lot more confident with it. I'm 6ft 200lbs. so I wouldn't think my size is an issue. Only mods from stock is I got it with a Fox nitrogen rear shock. Everything suspension and tire wise seems fine. Put new tires on in nov. To me, the bars seem awfully close together and friends that have climbed on it say the same thing.
Do I need to rethink how I ride? I sure love this bike but sometimes it's intimidating. Any ideas appreciated!

Bill

I don't know that any bike handles nicely in a crosswind. I also have an 89 K100RS......the narrow RS bars should not be limiting as long as you are weighting the pegs to help with the lean.

If you want wider handlebars, the later K1100RS bar is a bit wider to provide some extra leverage. You can keep the original cables, but it might be a bit more difficult to look out of the rearview mirrors.

too small bars

Bill:

I rode a 1982 R 100 RS, with miniscule handlebars, for 15 years and thought they were totally normal. Then I got a new oiler RS, which has much wider bars, and discovered the benefits of real leverage. I can ride the bike in the dirt, I can hold good arcs in 270 degree off - ramps, and I can hold a much better line in cross - winds.

I recently rode, for the first time, a friend's K 100 RS, with its narrow bar and the attendant reduced leverage, and it was the most noticable characteristic of the machine, for me. BMW's engineers made a significant trade off in designing these machines with weather proof hand positions.

Absolutely, bar leverage makes a big difference in riding cross winds.

You might want to demo some other BMW's with wider bars. Until then, just reduce your speed in heavy cross - winds. I used to ride my old RS in fourth gear sometimes, just to keep it on the road (Alberta gets 100 km / hr west winds on occasion).

So don't feel bad; you're not the only rider who's having trouble with these sporty bars.

Rinty

Last edited:
How wide are the K100 RS bars? Are they the same bars as the K75S?

Bill:

I rode a 1982 R 100 RS, with miniscule handlebars, for 15 years and thought they were totally normal. Then I got a new oiler RS, which has much wider bars, and discovered the benefits of real leverage. I can ride the bike in the dirt, I can hold good arcs in 270 degree off - ramps, and I can hold a much better line in cross - winds.

I recently rode, for the first time, a friend's K 100 RS, with its narrow bar and the attendant reduced leverage, and it was the most noticable characteristic of the machine, for me. BMW's engineers made a significant trade off in designing these machines with weather proof hand positions.

Absolutely, bar leverage makes a big difference in riding cross winds.

You might want to demo some other BMW's with wider bars. Until then, just reduce your speed in heavy cross - winds. I used to ride my old RS in fourth gear sometimes, just to keep it on the road (Alberta gets 100 km / hr west winds on occasion).

So don't feel bad; you're not the only rider who's having trouble with these sporty bars.

Rinty

Thanks for the help! I feel better about it now. I figured it was just me.

First I'm gonna try adjusting my riding style, but I'm also gonna give thought to new bars. Either way this K and me are stuck with eachother! :)

Bill

There are a couple of rubber bushings in the collection of parts that connect the bars to the bike. I think you can surf around the ibmwr.org tech section for a link to the K1100 owners group page where they'll tell you how to put a little compression on the bushings. It involves some big washers being used as shims. I did it years ago on my '91 K100RS and it cleared up the rather vague feedback you get with the stock set up.

It's been long enough that I don't remember the details.

Bill since the bike is a keeper for U, U might try this down the road. The K75C handlebars are the universal doner bars. They are a little wider and pulled back than S bars. Their have been a lot of previous threads on this subject. U may have to change the throttle cables and brake line to comlete the project. Either way the RS is a great bike, I hope U have a lot of great miles on it.

Thanks for all the help and ideas! I have a good bit to work with now. Being in this group is just one more good reason to own a BMW! :)

Bill

bars too small

Bill:

Another tip, from one of my riding instructer buddies, is to put a little pressure on the upwind handgrip. That'll help the bike counter steer into the wind.

There is also a recent thread on the Forum about cross wind riding, which has lots of good info.

Rinty

Last edited:
greetings. I have an 89 K100rs. since getting it in oct06 I've had a bit of a challenge with the handling especially in a crosswind. I figured it was because I had to get used to it's style but after 6k mi. I haven't gotten a whole lot more confident with it. I'm 6ft 200lbs. so I wouldn't think my size is an issue. Only mods from stock is I got it with a Fox nitrogen rear shock. Everything suspension and tire wise seems fine. Put new tires on in nov. To me, the bars seem awfully close together and friends that have climbed on it say the same thing.
Do I need to rethink how I ride? I sure love this bike but sometimes it's intimidating. Any ideas appreciated!

Bill

Bill,
What tires and pressures are you riding? Do you run with bags all the times? I've found tires and tire pressure make a difference in cross wind situations.

Back