• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K100LT Tire Question .....

warthog

I'm coming up on a tire replace and I have searched the forum and the web for recent information on a set of replacement tires for my 91 K100LT. I have tried to find some of the options presented but am running into the problem of not finding the sizes that match my current tires.

Current tires:
  • 130/90-17 Metzlers ME 88
  • 110/90-18 Metzlers ME 880 on the front

I've looked around and could only find the Metzlers and the Avon AM26 Roadrider in the current sizes.

I would like to try something different than the Metzlers because even though the they are long lasting (mine have approx 16K on them) I don't think the handle well and seem very hard.

The only down side I've heard about the Avon tires are some say they don't grip well in rain.

Any one have any alternative suggestions that will fit my bike? Would be interesting in hearing the pros and cons of each option.

FYI - I'm a routine commuter who also does rallies (some long distance) in the summer. Primarily solo riding.

That bike came stock with the 140/80-17 ME55 installed. I too switched to the 130/90-17 ME88 because ME55s wore out way to quickly. I once wore one out in 4 days.

Metzeler's current recommended rear is the 140/80-17 ME880 Marathon on the rear matched to the 110/80-18 Lasertec on the front.

If you like the 880 on the front then the 880 may make you happy on the back too. In any case - a 140/80-17 is original fitment and widens you options to look at.

Paul thanks for clearing the size issue up that should help looking for tires. We have grooved pavement out here on the highway and the MEs do not seem to handle that very well.

Back