• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K&N Filter Cleaning

Picinisco

Scottish Transplant
The bike I bought a month ago has a K&N filter. Since this is cleanable, what is the procedure. Can I just stick it in the diswasher.;)

Cheers.....John

I guess you could, but then your SO will scream some obscenities at you.

Warm water, some dish-soap and rinse under running water inside to outside. Then reapply K&N Filter oil with a spray can, let dry and replace.

But if you really like your bike go buy a BMW brand paper-cloth filter and get a new one every 12,000 miles or so.

The K&N are great filters but IMHO they let too much large paticles through until they get dirty and the dirtier the better they work - to a point...

Do yourself a favor and throw it in the trash. Never mind all the manufacturer "data" and hype.

I had one on each of my Diesel on road trucks. They get oil analysis periodically to check oil condition. On the OEM paper filter I would see 4-5 PPM of silicon (dirt). Once we went to the K&N's the silicon jumped to 35+PPM. The microscopic slides showed dirt grains and same size metal shavings suspended in the oil. Other wear metals were higher than normal as well. My mechanic ran an AFE (high $ K&N) and I sent a sample in for him. Guess what? High silicon levels too.

Once the K&N's went in the trash can the silicon levels returned to 5PPM. The K&N's were properly lubed and one was new.

I wouldn't give a nickle for all the K&N's in the world. But what do I know, I don't go by K&N's claims, I only go by lab analysis.

Good luck.

Hold a K&N up to the light and see all the "holes". But according to K&N the "holes" are a good thing.

Now will start all the people who have "never had a problem" running K&N's. Of course not, wear is cumulative

Air Filter Numbers

But if you really like your bike go buy a BMW brand paper-cloth filter and get a new one every 12,000 miles or so.

OK I am convinced now that I do not want the K&N filter that is on the bike right now.

Is there a list of filter numbers by the various filter manufacturers that shows the BMW equivalent.

Cheers.....John

John, somebody else might have those but what I hear is OEM is better than equivalent Fram or others.

Good luck, many miles :)

Back