• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Jim from Northport, MI

Never had one, so any suggestions for a trickle charger? what should I look for?

I have used a 1.5 amp automatic battery tender from Wal Mart for 3 years on agm batteries with no problems. Cost $17.

Ralph Sims

Charge IT ?

I own 2 Battery Tender brand chargers that I bought used from a couple
of different sites for around $25 apiece. So, I was shocked when I stopped
at Dennis Kirk's to pick-up a new BT for a Harley riding friend. It was $64
OTD with tax.

That said, I still think their chargers are the way to go, mine plug into the
stock outlet & haven't fry'd dry any of the batteries that have been on the
charger for several years. But, $64....

I purchased an "Extreme Charge" motorcycle battery charger which was featured in a recent edition of the MOA News. http://www.Xtremechargers.com It is "Fully Automatic, Microprocessor Controlled. Works with ALL 12-Volt Batteries". With all the changing going on in battery technology, I wanted just one good unit that would work on the bike, the lawn tractor, or the pickup truck. Using PULSE technology, it has definitely given better results than what I am used to with older style chargers. The Evaluation Circuit will tell you if the battery is bad (cell plates are shorted, so don't waste your time). After the Evaluation Stage, the microprocessor switches successively to 2) Pulse/Bulk charge (voltage increases), then 3) Saturation Charge (current decreases as battery fills) then 4) Float Charge (maintenance current). Once the battery is fully charged, the Processor then switches to Pulse/Maintenance voltage, keeping the battery fully charged without overheating or overstressing the cells. Basically, you hook it up and let the system work. If you get sidetracked and don't get back to it for a week, or a month, or a year, the battery will be waiting for you in perfect state and ready when you are. Best for BMW riders, the Xtreme charges & maintains lead-acid, Gel, or AGM batteries without requiring a separate type charger (and don't get them mixed up!) for each one. Pricey, but worth it, in my experience.

Last edited:
sigh....

I've built these for Many people (1 on the bench as we speak). I've found this to be a Great answer for battery maintenence over the off-season.

Take a wall transformer; output >14Vdc, < 18Vdc with no load; >.3A current.

Get a 7812 voltage regulator (output 12V, 1A max).

Put 3 (qty 3) 1N4002 (>50V @ >1A) diodes in series from the ground reference of the voltage regulator. (moves the regulated voltage from 12 to ~ 13.7)

Connect the wall xfmer through the regulator (heat sink the 7812: aluminum plate...).

Connect the regulator output through ~13 ohms @ 2+watts (limits the current to ~50 mA UNLESS battery is Very Depleted)

Attach battery sized clips to the the outputs (through the current limit resistor(s) .

>> I've been running this setup since ~ 1999, on an 8 head feeder.
With AGM (glass-mat) batteries: haven't had to swap out any of the 3 bikes (LT/HR/KS) since installs (2/4/8 yrs).

> I suspect this is my last missive on this topic... to paraphrase the TShirt: if you haven't gotten it by now...pull ChattyCathy ring #X. VRY L8R <<<)))

Back