• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Its name was Earl

Antaeas

Registered marching ant
A week late for the Salty Fog Rally, I rode their route on Cape Breton Island just before Labor Day. I went 4250 miles total in 13 riding days, not counting a round trip across Lake Michigan on the Lake Express. I rode through Michigan, Ontario, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine and New Brunswick on my way to Nova Scotia, was on the Cabot Trail on Friday 9/3/10/ (pictured: north of Ch?®ticamp). On Saturday. Hurricane Earl crossed NS (see map). I holed up in a motel near Antigonish as 60+ mph winds drove torrential rain sideways and kept sane motorists off the road. Sunday was windy - I nearly was blown off the highway at the marshes near Amherst NS. I rode through NB, took two ferries to Deer and Campobello Islands, then on to Searsport, ME. The next day I hopped on I-95 to Bedford MA to visit my brother. Looking for an oil filter wrench, we looked up an MOA member in the Anonymous Book; it turned out he was a neighbor and former colleague of my brother's. I then rode north to Vermont, stopped at the famous Barn at Emerson Motor Works for an oil change by my longtime friend David, then I turned south to Woodstock, NY, where I spent the night. The next day I rode in rain and wind up to the Seaway Trail and on to Youngstown NY, where the folks at the Lake View Motel were very friendly. I coped with rain and headwinds across Ontario and Michigan, made the first ferry on Friday.

Recommendations: all of the Cabot Trail, Cape Breton Island, NS; most of the Fundy Trail, NB, especially Fundy National Park; VT Route 100; Mount Washington, NH; ME Route 182 to Ellsworth; NY 30 from Margaretville to Colchester; some of the Seaway Trail and the Lake Ontario Parkway in NY.

Attachments

• 2010 Moto trip NS.jpg
    2010 Moto trip NS.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Hope that you post more pictures and commentary regarding your ride. Lots of miles you did eh?! If I remember correctly, the week that you rode had excellent weather. However, you need the whole week to really get a bit of a feel for Nova Scotia. Lots to see. Next year we are moving back to the first week of September for the Salty Fog Riders Rally. Weather is more predicatable. Too bad Meat Cove was washed out. You would have enjoyed that one! Well, you could plan on next years Salty Fog :thumb - Bob

Salty Fog & more in 2011

I'll try to get to Cape Breton again.

PEI awaits my wheels as well. I also have the Dolomites, the Pyrenees, and the Canadian Rockies to add to my life list. As Warren Miller says, "If I don't do it now, I'll be a year older when I do."

Last edited:
isn't that Deer Island ferry the greatest! We love it. Nice little campground on the Canadian side too. Did you make it to the Little Narrows cable ferry here in Nova Scotia? - Bob

Ferries

Yes, on my way from Louisbourg to the Cabot Trail, I rode the cable ferry. I found my spot on the ramp was too steep to use my side stand while waiting in line, so I pulled ahead alongside a local who was first in line. The fare was steep, too.I asked for a Salty Fog discount, didn't get it.

Last edited:
Antaeas - I was a few days behind you - crossed NY on 23 Sep and ON & MI on 24 Sep. What route did you take from Colchester to the Seaway Trail? The west wind on the 24th was brutal and still blowing hard enough on the 25th that the Lake Express was canceled. That meant that on Saturday I made a 500 mile jaunt from Muskegon around the bottom end of the lake and home to Iowa.

Thanks for sharing your trip.

Dave from Iowa.

Yes, on my way from Louisbourg to the Cabot Trail, I rode the cable ferry. I found my spot on the ramp was too steep to use my side stand while waiting in line, so I pulled ahead alongside a local who was first in line. The fare was steep, too.I asked for a Salty Fog discount, didn't get it.

one dollar if you are with the Salty Fog Riders crew ( our group rate ); yer first born if not with that group :evil ok.... it's just five dollars but if a group of ten can get across for ten dollars rather than fifty :whistle Next year, just join the crew eh?

We're a thrifty lot! And camping..... for ten dollars rather than $26? See you all next September :thumb - Bob

... What route did you take from Colchester to the Seaway Trail? ... .

I took I-86 through Binghamton and Elmira, then rode NY-14 north all the way to Sodus Point. I then went west along the lake, following Seaway Trail signs. I got lost going through Rochester, back on the Seaway Trail at Manitou. By dark, I got to Youngstown and the friendly Lake View Motel.

I enjoyed seeing all the orchards, but there was too much wind and rain for me to stop and pick any apples or enjoy the scenery. At least I wasn't dueling with semis and RVs on I-90.

If i rode that way again, I'd spend more time around Watkins Glen and Geneva.

Back