• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is this what "snowed in" feels like?

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member

We are having a major high pressure heat wave the last few weeks. At or near 100 for the past few days and even hotter the next few. I rode to the now closest hardware store(50 miles) this AM at 8:30...was already 85 and 92 when I rolled back an hour later. Sun bouncing off white limestone terrain is blinding!

Came in the house, drank about two Qts of water and turned on the A/C. Haven't been back outside except to retrieve a UPS delivery at 1...noticed 101 on the in the shade thermometer. I was laughing to myself of all the computer time I had today and was thinking about my northern neighbors a few months back when you couldn't see your garages.

I worked outdoors almost all my career and felt like I could handle it...now not having to do it daily, I find it too freakin' hot to do any of my outside projects until the sun goes down or for a few hours in the AM before Mr Sun starts really cooking. I typically take Mondays off from the shop anyways, but Tuesday & Wednesday are looking like indoors days doing all the projects I was saving for rainy/cold days,neither in sight for awhile...except for a quick ride in the mornings of course.

We rode 300+ miles to luch Saturday and re-wet the evap vests twice on the way home...they were drying very quickly!
I promised BeerTeam I would not tease the North bunch about us riding all winter and I understand why this week...

I'm snowed in and it's 102 degrees!:help

02ColdStorage008.jpg

I feel your pain!

0213Robins002cs.jpg

Strictly for the birds!

Paul,

I dont know about things our your way, but we've been rained in. I did manage a short ride this afternoon, the rain held off. We're supposed to see the sun sometime the 5th of next year out this way....

PBPokerRun020s.jpg

Summer returns this week - just wait 72 hours and the heat comes back. Here is a strange bit of weather. Americade had perfect weather for the entire week. Temperatures were in the mid 70s and no rain for the week. Strange but true.

I'd even ride in the rain on purpose if it would...big time drought..May/June supposed to be our wet months with an average of 14"...no even 1" here those two months...over Blanco anyways!

Yeah, bright spot is no shoveling I suppose...never had the pleasure...

Just walked outside to close up shop and water plants...a pleasant 92 at 10PM

I'd even ride in the rain on purpose if it would...big time drought..May/June supposed to be our wet months with an average of 14"...no even 1" here those two months...over Blanco anyways!

Yeah, bright spot is no shoveling I suppose...never had the pleasure...

Just walked outside to close up shop and water plants...a pleasant 92 at 10PM

Steve,

We've got the rain up here. I say we petition the Gubmint to spend some stim-bux to figure out how to pipe it down your way.... You're welcome to it.

Oznay, that's as white as Daytona sand! maybe a little wetter though:brow

ridden a Mt bike in snow...no motorbike however.

Waaaa waaaa waaaa!

Ya know, ever since the dog ate the baby all I hear is "sell the dog, sell the dog".

Yup, instant summer here after a prolonged and record setting cold Spring. Seriously, Spring just ended here 2 days ago when the temps hit about 90. I think it was 101 here yesterday in Chicago Steve.
A/C is gooooood. :brow

Hey all; yep instant summer here in upper Michigan as well. We had a long WET,cool spring, never getting over 70, and suddenly it's in the upper 80's and lower nineties. (That's further south of us, down in Kalamazoo.) It's almost too hot to ride(you will note that I said ALMOST) but we do it anyway. Just about roasted over the week-end, going down to Kalamazoo for Fathers day, wrapped head to toe in leather, wearing a heavy helmet and boots. Felt like a baked potato!! Almost envious of those idiots riding in shorts and sandals!! Ya, I know whine,whine, WHINE!!! Some folks ain't never happy!! Vaya con Dios, Dutch

Well, since we were in Kansas and needed to be at the BMW Bash in Arkansas on July 3 or 4, we figured North Dakota would be a convenient stop on the way. It is now 70 degrees in Bismark, low last night was 59 in Mobridge, SD.

And - a quick check of Alpine, TX shows 79, up from a low of 62 and headed to a high of 90.

Steve you should head to Big Bend I think. Or Bismark. :)

We are having a major high pressure heat wave the last few weeks. At or near 100 for the past few days and even hotter the next few. I rode to the now closest hardware store(50 miles) this AM at 8:30...was already 85 and 92 when I rolled back an hour later. Sun bouncing off white limestone terrain is blinding!
Can't do that when snowed in.

Came in the house, drank about two Qts of water and turned on the A/C. Haven't been back outside except to retrieve a UPS delivery at 1...noticed 101 on the in the shade thermometer. I was laughing to myself of all the computer time I had today and was thinking about my northern neighbors a few months back when you couldn't see your garages.
Don't want to get anything from the mailbox when snowed in.

I worked outdoors almost all my career and felt like I could handle it...now not having to do it daily, I find it too freakin' hot to do any of my outside projects until the sun goes down or for a few hours in the AM before Mr Sun starts really cooking. I typically take Mondays off from the shop anyways, but Tuesday & Wednesday are looking like indoors days doing all the projects I was saving for rainy/cold days,neither in sight for awhile...except for a quick ride in the mornings of course.
Can't do any of those things when snowed in (except the indoor stuff).

We rode 300+ miles to luch Saturday and re-wet the evap vests twice on the way home...they were drying very quickly!
I promised BeerTeam I would not tease the North bunch about us riding all winter and I understand why this week...

I'm snowed in and it's 102 degrees!:help
Can't do any of that when you are snowed in.
I am guessing this is exactly like being snowed in, except for the going outside and going for rides stuff.
:ha

Last edited:
Steve, being stuck inside because it's too hot to go out isn't anything at all like being snowed in.

Being snowed in is a pleasant thing.

- instead of going to work, you have a cup of coffee, look out the window and enjoy the glorious winter scenery.

- you spend time reading a book, or just slacking off in a chair with another cup of coffee watching the world go by.

- perhaps you get out the snow blower, clear the drive and sidewalk, go to an elderly neighbours and repeat the process.

- the elderly neighbour invites you in for a cup of coffee, and maybe some home made cookies, and you get to spend some time visiting them.

- if you have young kids, there's always tobogganing, making snowmen etc.

Nope getting snowed in is fun, hiding from the heat sucks.......Regards, Rod.

I'm in Dallas and we're under the same high pressure system. My 6:30 in the morning commute is very nice: temperature in the high 70s and early enough to never go slower than 60 MPH. But that afternoon commute home from downtown Dallas to McKinney near rush hour on Central Expressway is terrible. Thank heavens for HOV lanes that allow me to keep moving for most of the trip home.

Well, since we were in Kansas and needed to be at the BMW Bash in Arkansas on July 3 or 4, we figured North Dakota would be a convenient stop on the way. It is now 70 degrees in Bismark, low last night was 59 in Mobridge, SD.

And - a quick check of Alpine, TX shows 79, up from a low of 62 and headed to a high of 90.

Steve you should head to Big Bend I think. Or Bismark. :)

BMW Bashers figure it to be hot. It was 100 before noon on my deck and the humidity is high. Heat index 105+ all week.

I'll be around Yellowstone early July. I bet I'll sweat getting up there.

Ralph Sims

Back