• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Installing a Migsel mounting bracket HELP

rrubin52

Greetings, I am new to motorcycle mechanics so forgive this dumb question. I have a 2003 R1150 RT.
I want to install the mounting bracket on the fairing, below the windshield. I see two screws where I could attach it.
But I don't know what they screw in to. Do I need longer screws to install the mounting bracket? Do I somehow need to get inside the front fairing to secure some bolts? HELP.
(and thanks)

Specifically which Migsel item are you trying to add? https://www.migsel.com/store/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=7 Their website doesn't seem to have an "Instructions" link, maybe contact them directly?

As for associated parts and where they go, check out the MAX BMW site at https://www.maxbmw.com/, slide your cursor over to "Parts" and pull down to the "Classic Parts Fiche". Select the R1150RT at the bottom of the "Oilheads" column, then the "Frame" (section 46) tab; that will have some pictures where you can zoom in on the specific area of interest.

The question is not dumb at all; many people would never admit a lack of knowledge - Goodonya! :thumb

I believe that the standard screw is a FILLISTER HEAD SCREW - M5X16. I replaced the 2 that secure the mount with M5X20 screws to make up the difference in thickness that the mounting holes have. You could probably go even a bit longer than 20mm, but I don't recall the clearance on have on the side of the nut. Installed mine several years ago and have not had any issues to-date.

Back