• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Inner bags for side cases

SpokaneTom

I have a F900XR that I just bought side cases for. For those of you with side cases, what do you use for inner bags? The one's BMW makes are absurdly expensive (of course so were the cases). I'd love to find a simple cloth or light canvas 30 liter bag that I could use. All I can find are bags that are the wrong size and too stiff to just cram in there.

Anybody have some good suggestions?

Kathy’s Journey Designs inner bags, available from bobsbmw.
I have used these on all my BMWs and they are made to fit whichever BMW panniers or topcases you have on the bike. Quality stuff.

Best,
DeVern

Last edited:
I found some slightly used Kathy bags for my 07RT in the Marketplace at a great price and they have worked great and held up very well over the years.

Janssport backpacks. Made of the same ballistic nylon as regular liners. I've had a pair of back-to-school Janssports for years, work great, not too bulky and the backpack-straps have come in handy many times. I've had fitted liners in the past, but found these backpacks to be better for my use. YMMV.

I got mine for my RT from a company called Cee Bailey for about $75. I know that they discontinued some of their MC products, I don't know how far that went. They've been quite good to me.

Looks like the 900XR has a similar bag as our RS bikes.
In the past we had always purchased the BMW bag liners but in 2016 when I saw the price of the semi-rigid liners for the RS I thought about buying aftermarket liners.
When I showed the BMW liner to my wife at the shop she thought the semi-rigid design would be worth the high price.
You can't over pack the bag making to difficult to close the hard bag lid.
The semi-rigid liners easily slide into the hard bag and there's no loose material that can get caught when closing the lid.
There's no wasted space because the liner is molded to the same shape as the hard bag.
Seven years later we're happy with the BMW liners and don't remember how much they cost.

Kathy's are the way to go. They're high quality, reasonably priced, and available in several colors. My wife and I have been using them for years.

Another person who uses JanSport backpacks. I bought a pair of them that fit the bags on the R80RT. The R1200RT came with the BMW bags but I ended up liking the JanSport better. When I am doing day trips I can use the backpacks for day hikes.

I wouldn't buy BMW liners, or use grocery bags. Get what suites your needs, and is water proof. I've talked to a number of people who don't use any liners, and just carry the detachable hard bag into the house, or hotel room.

Go Number 1 ranked UH Coogs!!!!

E.

I wouldn't buy BMW liners, or use grocery bags. Get what suites your needs, and is water proof. I've talked to a number of people who don't use any liners, and just carry the detachable hard bag into the house, or hotel room.

Go Number 1 ranked UH Coogs!!!!

E.

I used to detach/carry in my panniers, until I road miles in the rain/muck. The bottom and inside of the panniers was covered in mud/muck. After that experience, I purchased a set of Kathy Liners. Affordable price, great quality, nice fit, and easy to pack.

I used to detach/carry in my panniers, until I road miles in the rain/muck. The bottom and inside of the panniers was covered in mud/muck. After that experience, I purchased a set of Kathy Liners. Affordable price, great quality, nice fit, and easy to pack.

Good Point. :thumb

E.

Back