• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I need help with 1986 R80RT

A

astroturf52

Okay........after a few days of searching the internet and talking to old beemer friends and getting feed back from all of you I've done a few things.

I ordered Progressive Suspension fork springs. They seem to still be the right fix. I ordered a Proformance stainless steel braided front brake line kit from Bob's. I ordered EBC sintered brake pads. I ordered new fork seals and 8 weight oil. I ordered a Bridgestone BT45 front tire (also got a rear.) All of that ought to sort out the front end. Next winter I'll repack the steering head bearings.

I found a code 041 saddlebag key. Thank you Rich.

I found a set of chrome luggage racks but haven't bought them yet. Price is pretty steep. Now I'm considering rattle can spray paint job.

I've found a used Works Performance shock and am considering it but I think I would be money ahead to buy a new one considering his used price plus soon to come rebuild + shipping etc. Found a new Progressive Suspension rear shock but I bought one of those for a K100 one time and felt like the stock shock was actually better. Still looking for Ohlins or ? The stock shock on this bike really isn't horrible. Even with 38K miles I can live with it until I cave in and spend the money. I've been advised by an old friend that Works Performance is the way to go all things considererd ($).

Near as I can tell Corbin doesn't make a seat for this bike with a backrest for the driver so I'm out of luck there. I know there are other brands out there so I'm exploring those options. Meanwhile I'll just put a loaded duffle bag there when I'm traveling.

Good advice on the careful tune-up to eliminate vibration. I have ordered carb kits. Will do oil change, timing check, valve set, spark plugs etc. I have mercury sticks and am getting a Twinmax so once all that's done and front end is all sorted I should be good to go.

My gauges waiver a bit but it looks like the bike is turning 4750 RPM @ 70 MPH. Will only change rear end if I fall into one for reasonable price (read cheap price.)

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Turf

Near as I can tell Corbin doesn't make a seat for this bike with a backrest for the driver so I'm out of luck there. I know there are other brands out there so I'm exploring those options.
Sure they do! I bought a used one on ebay not too long ago. It may not have the backrests with it, but Corbin will sell them to you for ~$75 each, IIRC. Look for the little 'Corbin' logo cloth squares stuck down with velcro behind the driver and passenger 'butt sockets'. Those cover the holes for the backrests. Expect to pay around $150-$225 for an ebay seat. Add another $125 and you can get a brand new one from Corbin in any color you want - plus the backrest(s), of course.

I've had several Corbin seats (some with backrests for the passenger) and I'm familiar with the butt sockets and the little logo patch that covers it. This bike came to me with a Corbin Canyon Dual seat on it but no butt sockets. I've seen lots of Corbin seats with backrests for the driver but never on one of these old airheads. All the ones I've seen are on various models of oilhead bikes.

I tried to call Corbin to talk about it but never could get through to a person that knew anything so I tried their "tech" email service. I asked whether they could retrofit my current seat and recover it or build me a brand new one. They didn't even respond to my email so I had to assume they couldn't make any money off of me......meaning they could not provide/sell me a seat for this model bike with a butt socket for the driver.

That's where I dead ended and maybe I jumped to conclusions. My mom warned me about that.......

I love Corbin seats and this one is fantastic but I could love it even more with a backrest (for me.....in front........not the passenger in the back.)

seat

What you could do over the winter is to take your stock seat to a local upholestry shop. Especially one that does custom cars. They should be able to redo your seat with a back rest. The cost would be simular to a new corbin. Yours would be a custom seat, done locally and essentially new, since the only thing you would be left with is the seat pan. Food for thought anyway. BTW, I love my works rear shock.

Back