• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Humped Gas Tank Style

r80andr100rt

There was a recent thread about the ugliness of BMWs and form vs function. What is the function of the Humped gas tank? I've wanted a new bike but have always passed because the humped gas tank style looks extremely dangerous to the lower abdomen even in a low speed front end hit. I keep expecting to read about a product safety lawsuit. In the meantime I just stick with airheads.

Always look like a good place to rest my gut to me ... euro-bars can take it out of you at 60 (years old).
09.gif

If you have a front end collision hard enough to matter, the hump on something like an F800ST is going to be the last of your worries.

There was a recent thread about the ugliness of BMWs and form vs function. What is the function of the Humped gas tank? I've wanted a new bike but have always passed because the humped gas tank style looks extremely dangerous to the lower abdomen even in a low speed front end hit. I keep expecting to read about a product safety lawsuit. In the meantime I just stick with airheads.

The gas tank on the F series twins is under the seat. The area traditionally occupied by a gas tank is the airbox. Part of the intake tuning to develop such high hp/litre requires as large an air box capacity as possible.

I'm sure it's less dangerous than having 24 litres of gas directly between your thighs like I did on my old R100.

The humped shape on sport bike "tanks" is to primarily to provide better hooks for your knees, so you can hold yourself on the bike as you move from side to side. Since BMW is attempting to compete head to head with the oriental and Italian sport bikes, the shape is undoubtedly driven by what the competition is doing.

However, there is some evidence that a humped "tank" in front of your crotch can be very harmful. In the event of a crash, the bike stops and the rider keeps moving. In that situation a humped tank pushes the legs apart and can cause the pelvis to split.

Leg injuries are also very common in frontal crashes, as the legs attempt to go through the handlebars. However, the forces can cause the handlebars to rotate forward, reducing some of the impact. A fixed "tank" is therefore a more serious obstruction.

When you manage to get past the bike and splot yourself onto the pavement, the typical injuries are to head, shoulder, hands, knees, etc. But that goes beyond bike design.

I appreciate the "tank" shapes with a gentle sloping rear end, including the tanks on my 1150 GS and my R100t. I think this is an important enough issue that I would avoid getting a machine with a humped shape on the rear of the "tank." It seems to me that manufacturers are driven more by the desire for speed than concerns for helping the rider avoid injuriy. In that regard, I am disappointed that BMW has not taken the lead in creating designs that address the potential for injury.

pmdave

I've only seen one cyclist t-bone a car. They pivoted on their hands and flipped over the bike onto the hood of the car. It would not surprise me if that was typical.

I figure that the humped gas tank is to make room for all the electro magic stuff that goes under the tank. If you had the tank off something like a R12GS, there is a LOT of gizmo stuff under there. The airbox, the anti lok brake system, computer etc.... So the tank goes up and out.

I'm of the opinion that motorcycle accidents are always gonna have major issues. The humped tank is not something I've thought about, nor will I find myself thinking "I wish I didn't have a humped tank," when I'm about to run into something.

Back