• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How much longer until the MOA Rally Rolls East Again

Still can't believe there hasn't been a rally in Chattanooga. Has absolutely everything a BMW rider would want to include Pandoras motor sports. Altitude would make it cool, lots to see and do, beautiful twisty roads...

Buddy, I visited the area multiple times and talked and talked with the CVB and could not find a venue that suits our requirements. At one point I turned it over to our Ex. Dir. at the time, Ray Zimmerman, and that's the last I ever heard of it.

Ian

Raccoon mountain

Buddy, I visited the area multiple times and talked and talked with the CVB and could not find a venue that suits our requirements. At one point I turned it over to our Ex. Dir. at the time, Ray Zimmerman, and that's the last I ever heard of it.

Ian

Appreciate the hard work Ian. There are some other mountains close by like raccoon mountain and Suwannee, my ancestral home, that may have a venue that would work, but as large as the rally is, it would probably need to be Chattanooga. I bet if we put Pandoras on it, they could negotiate a deal on our behalf. They should have that town wired by now.

Reece - I live in Atlanta and ride up that way all the time. But we have a very tough set of conditions that a venue must meet in order for our rally to be successful. What Chattanooga lacks is enough space for camping that's co-located with a large air-conditioned exhibit space. No problems with hotels... don't know about beer licenses.

But for sure the local riding is great!

Eastern Rally Site

Lewisburg, WV would make a great eastern rally site.

Reasons:

It is the state fairgrounds for WV with plenty of room for a rally.
The summer temperatures are pleasant enough for those adverse to heat.
The roads in the immediate vicinity are made for motorcycle riding.
Secondary roads throughout WV are easily accessible, making day rides of 200 miles very easily attained.
West Virginia is in dire need of the economic stimulation that a rally would bring.

Bill

MOA Rally Rolls East Again

I wonder what the Greenbriar costs?

Not sure, but I think the Greenbrier will not let a motorcycle in.
But don't let that stop you, because if you can get 5,000 in, I'd pay to see that !

Not sure, but I think the Greenbrier will not let a motorcycle in.
But don't let that stop you, because if you can get 5,000 in, I'd pay to see that !

We were refused entrance a couple of months ago. They made us go across the road and park at the RR depot. They did have a shuttle to take us in. I doubt the area has the facilities to meet current MOA rally requirements.

I was also refused entrance to the Greenbrier a few years ago. I'm not sure if it was because I was on my motorcycle or because I did not have a room at the hotel.

Rally location requirements?

Could someone kindly point me in the direction to where I could find the requirements for a location to host the MOA Rally?

I live in Frankfort, Kentucky and while my town is way too small for a Rally of that size, just up the road in Lexington is the Kentucky Horse Park. They recently hosted the Word Equestrian Games and have many hotels a short ride away. There's also a campground located on the grounds.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Casey

Could someone kindly point me in the direction to where I could find the requirements for a location to host the MOA Rally?

I don't know specifically who that would be, but I'm sure Sue, one of the rally chairs for this year's rally, will be along at some point and see your post. In the meantime, you could check out her profile and send her a PM or email and she'll get you in touch with the right person.

Thanks for thinking of more alternatives!

Thank you for the assist. I've PMed Sue. Even if the Kentucky Horse Park isn't suitable for a National Rally, maybe it'd be good enough for a Weekend Getaway?

Thanks again!
Casey

I live in Frankfort, Kentucky and while my town is way too small for a Rally of that size, just up the road in Lexington is the Kentucky Horse Park. They recently hosted the Word Equestrian Games and have many hotels a short ride away. There's also a campground located on the grounds.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Casey

Just sent the suggestion to the Rally Site Selection team. Here's the location for selection: http://www.bmwmoa.org/?page=siteselection&terms="rally+and+site"

Just sent the suggestion to the Rally Site Selection team. Here's the location for selection: http://www.bmwmoa.org/?page=siteselection&terms="rally+and+site"

In my humble opinion, the current AC requirement precludes many of our previous sites, which were county fairgrounds. Accordingly, we seem to be migrating to an event located at a civic convention center that likely doesn't have camping facilities.

In that light, what would the MOA need to select a site located at a basketball arena? Many of our universities have such facilities. They have lots of paved parking and available hotels. The only downside is the greatly diminished status of tent camping.

Last edited:
Maybe it's a better deal for a university arena, but my local arena charges a huge rental fee- $50,000 just to open the door and turn the lights on for say, a concert or the circus. And that's just for an evening, not a multi day event. Then they also get a cut of ticket sales, parking fees, food sales, and souvenirs.

Maybe it's a better deal for a university arena, but my local arena charges a huge rental fee- $50,000 just to open the door and turn the lights on for say, a concert or the circus. And that's just for an evening, not a multi day event. Then they also get a cut of ticket sales, parking fees, food sales, and souvenirs.

And that would be the Tony Soprano Memorial Arena? :whistle;)

In my humble opinion, the current AC requirement precludes many of our previous sites, which were county fairgrounds. Accordingly, we seem to be migrating to an event located at a civic convention center that likely doesn't have camping facilities.

In that light, what would the MOA need to select a site located at a basketball arena? Many of our universities have such facilities. They have lots of paved parking and available hotels. The only downside is the greatly diminished status of the tent camping.

Indeed! Having battled to speak over roaring fans, in excessive heat, amid the remains of animal feces on more than one occasions, I can attest than many seminar presenters do not really want to go back to the good old days of sheep barns and cow pens. But each to their own.

If the selection crew ever runs into a spot where AC is the only stumbling block, portable AC works pretty well. Here is an example-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu8oZ2B4YpI
One of my fav-0-rite trade shows, EASTEC, has used a tractor trailer portable chiller to cool buildings with great success. They brought them in from La Brea CA. :thumb
OM

Indeed! Having battled to speak over roaring fans, in excessive heat, amid the remains of animal feces on more than one occasions, I can attest than many seminar presenters do not really want to go back to the good old days of sheep barns and cow pens. But each to their own.

Dear Dr. Glaves........

Your seminars are more day long short courses. In a few years, they could be weekend events, including meals and lodging........:)

The only defense of sheep barns and cow pens I can offer was the pristine conditions at Midland, MI. They were so clean, I purchased a hammock and truly enjoyed camping at the rally for the first time.

I agree, beautiful riding areas in New York.

I would like to see another Canadian Rally...........Rod.

Agree also...N/York [the state] is one of those places that I would like to live ....except that the winters are even worse than here. [Ohio] Finger Lakes, Lake George, Seneca , Lake Champlain, etc....it doesn't get more...beautifuller :p than that !

Back