• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How many have a sled?

In Wisconsin (Motto: "We Drink More!"), snowmobiles are what groups of weekend drunks use to get from bar to bar when the snow is too deep for a Harley ...

sled heads

On my usual route home today, along a snowy back road in southern Minnesota started an idea for a thread, so here it goes:

Today the cold landscape of about -2 was accentuated in its emptiness and desolation by a light snow and wind whipping up some fine powder snow like great big white veils dancing across the roads surface.

Here I was in my cage getting bored stiff listening to NPR describe some dumb damn thing happening in Italy or Rome (I duuno, Silvia Pujoli it's pretty boring), anyways sort of lulling in a semi conscious state, I looked up real quick to see a single light, and just for an instant, had a jillion emotions come to the top IT'S A MOTORCYCLE!

Well my first thought was "lucky bastard! He gets to ride meanwhile here I am in my damn Subaru in a damn suit and tie...." and the next line of thinking is "why how did he get it out of his garage, boy I hope he has some heat in those grips"

And the last thought (having all occur almost simultaneously) was silly bastard, it's too cold to ride"....

WELL IS WASNT A MOTORCYCLE IT WAS A SLED! When I got in about 200 yards, to see what was heading down the two lane toward me, I could see this guy all wrapped up in $7000.00 worth of Cabalas finest goose hunting camouflage one piece coveralls and a neon cobalt almost fuc@$!%g glowing fuchsia colored glittered full face helmet.

Here it was -2 degree in 15 mph wind, and this guy had his face shield up, no glasses, and the biggest happy, crap eating grin on his face I've seen since....well since seeing other motorcyclists last fall before all this tit freezing scrotum shriveling cold hit the state of Minnesota (please moderators, it was words, but not done in an offensive way, don't dog me here).

I was suddenly green with jealousy, and it was all I could do from turning around right there and driving into the cities to buy a sled.

Do you all think it's a good idea? Have you ever experienced "sled envy" this time of the year?

Do you all ready have a sled?

Do you think they are stinking little two cycle danger traps out to annoy their neighbors with that totally obnoxious whine "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiieeeeeee".....

What say ye, Brothers and sisters of the BMWMOA? Please help me with this thread, I am sooo bummed because I got to work instead of going to party in new Glarus!!!Please donÔÇÖt skunk me!

red

I snowmobiled for the past 12 winters and had a blast. Snowmobiling in northern Ontario is a great way to pass the winter until the moto can come out again.
I gave it up as the riding season became shorter and shorter.( and life well you know )
Ontario has some great trail systems, and you can travel to areas that are inpassable unless frozen ( trail to lake , lake to trail )
It is a great way to get out and experience the winter. We would sled 300 to 450 kilometers a day , on groomed trails. ( some 4ft wide and some 20ft wide ). The larger bring speeds of 100 to 130 kph.
So now that all my maint. is done on the 1100, will just wait for spring.
ps they are not stinking little danger traps ( unless in the hands of an idiot ) but very fine tuned pieces of equipment. ride well, ride safe

Do you all think it's a good idea? Have you ever experienced "sled envy" this time of the year?

Do you all ready have a sled?

Do you think they are stinking little two cycle danger traps out to annoy their neighbors with that totally obnoxious whine "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiieeeeeee".....

What say ye, Brothers and sisters of the BMWMOA? Please help me with this thread, I am sooo bummed because I got to work instead of going to party in new Glarus!!!Please donÔÇÖt skunk me!

red

That is funny because the opposite happened to me.

When I built this house it turned out that a groomed snowmobile trail is on the property border. So after watching them go by for a while I got one and loved it. Never really thought I would.

Now we have three sleds and we love them. In the spring I was feeling left out now that I was used to riding the sleds in the winter and that was gone. Then thoughts of motorcycles came back to mind (used to ride dirt bikes as a kid) and soon I took the course and bought my first bike.

Now I enjoy the bike so much that the sleds pale in comparison. I still enjoy them in the right conditions though.

Sleds go less miles for more maintenance then anything else I have dealt with. Also the conditions are only great about one month a year. With the bike the "trail" is always just groomed (paved) and if you think you have to put on some gear for a bike, a long sled ride requires a ton of clothing.

But I don't think I will ever get rid of the sleds completely. They help me get through the winter while I dream of riding the bike!

I really enjoy dirt bike riding, and our cottage is near the ORV trails. I don't own a snowmobile and usually use the winters to cross-country ski and generally take a break from motorized things. However, my neighbor just bought a couple of ATVs, and I just dragged his 1991 Polaris to the dealer for repairs (I have a vehicle with a trailer hitch!).

After getting the snow machine fixed, we went out (one ATV and one snowmobile) on the trails. It was fun. The trails are a lot smoother in the winter than in the summer. No deep sand whoops. On the way back (I was on the snowmobile), I ventured out on the lake. Wasn't out there 30 seconds and I managed to flip it and bust off the mirrors and windshield. Damn, that ice is hard!

I believe I've been cured of the urge to get one.

Back