• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hot Weather Touring Tips

PAULBACH

hotthermometer.jpg

Owners News Touring Tips
needs your warm/hot weather touring tips. Getting down to the bottom of the archives of stored up Touring Tips. Please send your Touring Tip via a Personal Message or via email. Just click of the Private Messages button to make the connection.

GilletteTemps.png

Looking for some tips that will be good in JULY in general or the National Rally in particular. Above temperature curves are for Gillette, WY

Thank you!

Please be sure your submission contains both your First Name, Last Name and Membership Number
Paul

Last edited:
Submissions!

The First Responders

goodjob.jpg

Tweety1

goodjob.jpg

Rgvilla

goodjob.jpg

Statdawg

goodjob.jpg

Joel Sinks

goodjob.jpg

Daniel Cogan

Last edited:
Will be submitting them at the end of this month/start of next month for the July issue which is when people will be headed for the rally.

Seemed like a good idea for July and August.

Last edited:
Sunscreen

Here's one for Wyoming - take sunscreen because you will burn in about 10 minutes at 7300'+ altitude.

A second page of contributors :clap

goodjob.jpg

riderR1150GSAdv

goodjob.jpg

FuzzyRider

goodjob.jpg

goodjob.jpg

tommcgee

goodjob.jpg

tourunigo

Last edited:
.... This is more an on-the-road response but I really like finding a water hose at a gas station (or whatever they're called now) and asking to use briefly. A few squirts down the front and a few down the back and yer go-to-go. Great humor for those watching also. For the long term however, we keep our mesh jackets (w/ armor) handy. We have not put a lot of emphasis on the pants (both leather). Oh yes, a more odd-ball one: in an early August Texas we found vast agriculture areas that had these huge rolling sprinkler systems so we would just ride close and stop and wait for the spray. Great fun. Maybe that's it! Water hose battles at the rally. What happens at the bike wash; stays at the bike wash. -Bob

Riding in hot weather? Easy. Water is your friend. Drink water until you have to stop once an hour or so to pee. If it's over 80F and you're not stopping to piddle much more than you'd like, you're not drinking enough. Pee should be CLEAR. Camel Back with ice water, and a Gatoraide bottle in the tank bag is what I do. I'm also a fan (already mentioned) of soaking down with a hose at the gas station if available. Heat stroke is no joke, don't screw around.

RW

We are now smoking hot!

A third page of contributors
partydance.gif

We are doing very well but please send a PM or an email. Click on private message above and choose either PM or email.

Owners News needs your first name, last name and membership number. Please don't forget them. HQ needs all three to send out the coveted Touring Tips pin. :deal

goodjob.jpg

beemerron

goodjob.jpg

gambrinus/B]

goodjob.jpg

bobs98

goodjob.jpg

knary

Last edited:
I remove my face shield (I wear glasses). The wind in my face keeps me refreshed.

I have found just the opposite, crossing Utah in the summer with an open visor is like having a hair dryer blowing in your face.
Keeping the visor closed is much cooler.

I have found just the opposite, crossing Utah in the summer with an open visor is like having a hair dryer blowing in your face.
Keeping the visor closed is much cooler.

+1.
Even vents don't work too well when it's too hot, but add water (even a little), ah.. then a vent does the job it was designed to do.

Don't wear aerostich gear.
:hide
:ha

1. Travel during the cooler parts of the day. If it's going to be a scorcher, as it was going to and from the rally last year, I'll leave as early as I can manage. When the worst of the afternoon heat sets in, I'll take a couple hour break at a restaurant or cafe. When that heat's subsiding, I'll tack on a few more hours of riding.

2. When plotting a route, I'll take the route with the highest elevation. High elevations equal cool temperatures and, best of all, better roads.

oh, a PM was the plan. erps. :D

It ought to be quite a read in the ON with all the good tips..:clap

Believe it or not...

Those little neck wrap thingies with the water absorbing beads in them actually work! During the heat spell leading up to the MOA Rally in Vermont, we traveled about 1500 miles in 5 days, and the neck wrap kept us cool(er), even after it got warm. Soaking it in a cup of ice water during a refuel stop re-charged the wrap and re-energized the riders.

Don't wear aerostich gear.
:hide
:ha

1. Travel during the cooler parts of the day. If it's going to be a scorcher, as it was going to and from the rally last year, I'll leave as early as I can manage. When the worst of the afternoon heat sets in, I'll take a couple hour break at a restaurant or cafe. When that heat's subsiding, I'll tack on a few more hours of riding.

2. When plotting a route, I'll take the route with the highest elevation. High elevations equal cool temperatures and, best of all, better roads.

oh, a PM was the plan. erps. :D

In a PM I questioned if knary really meant to say stay high to keep cool! :dance

Back