• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Horizons Unlimited Silverton, CO meeting

O

OUTBACKUFO

Yes Knary I have not posted picts for a while so here you go mate

Since I dont do very well with humidity and mid west can be humidgetting away from work for a full week was not possible and the over impressing fact that the Horizons Unlimited annual US meeting was again in Silverton, Colo practically the backyard the choose was easy Time for some knobbie tyres and go ride the very few pass I have not ridden yet in Colorado

First morning the whole valley was filled with fog after a night of rain, I of course woke up late and missed some great photographing.. I did get one good one thought
fogvalley.jpg

Back at the meeting site as the myst lifted
site.jpg

Anyone recognize these bikes
simonLisaBikes.jpg

Yes Simon and Lisa were attending they gave two great presentations, they were a blast to chat to and get to know Simon however had his final drive bearing go out on Saturdays riding so they got some help from Tyler at Northern Colorado BMW and Chris and Erin Ratay from Ultimate Journey. Grant from HU put together a great 3.5 days of presentations and clinics for all levels So to the riding

Friday: The sun came out quick and cleared everything only threaded the needle with one storm that passed over as we rode.. Chris Ratay, Tyler, and I were planning to do some hard riding over Cinnimon Pass to Lake City then over Engineer Pass got three more great riders Bob on his 1200 GSA actually had only been on a few gravel roads before that morning and rode like a pro it was a great group for the morning..

The group on top of Cinnimon Pass was a lot of traffic this last weekend with a Toyota FJ rally in Ouray and all the idiots on quads who had no biz being on the jeep roads the west side of the pass was in good shape.. a bit of loose rocks with some steep grades made passing fun There was also a Demo G650 within the pack which also included two F650GSDakars, one Yamaha, me on 1150GS and a 1200GSA
groupCin.jpg

G650Cin.jpg

After a quick bit in Lake City up to Engineer Pass
Heading up the pass

G650Eng2.jpg

G650Eng1.jpg

G650Eng3.jpg

At the top taking a quick look and break
eng1.jpg

Chris enjoying the view
ChrisEng.jpg

Tyler thinking looks way too fun
G650Eng.jpg

Saturday: another great sunny but hotter day after a great presentations headed out to Ophir Pass and an no-name pass with a couple of other riders I ended camping with John and Gary from Colorado Spring area

Riding up to top of pass (Photo by John Kosatschkow)
OUOphirriding1.jpg

Top of the pass
ophirtop1.jpg

ophirtop2.jpg

The narrow part of the pass was too fun had to do it twice (photos by John Kosatschkow)  though I will say it is nice to get some good photos of myself actually riding normally I am behind the camera
OUOphirriding2.jpg

OUOphirriding3.jpg

OUOphirriding4.jpg

OUOphirriding5.jpg

OUOphirriding6.jpg

After lunch in Rico we headed up Scotch Creek to drop into Hermosa Park and the back side of Durango Ski Area (formally Purgutory for you who know) the first part is quite rocky, but turns into a good dirt road where the atvs and hunters did not rut it out
scotchcreek.jpg

All in all a great three days of riding and hanging with other world riders
On the way home to Carbondale I stopped by the Miners memorial to those in the Ouray mining district who either were once in a jam or died while deep in the earth Gary who I rode with on Saturday actually had mined in the area as a hardrock miner and had had a couple close ones and is on the plaque wall

Back