• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hong Kong parts

redwombat34

Got R1150rt knocked over in a parking lot. Driver sped away. Bike not too bad but has broken mirror housing. $334 from BMW or a full assembly from ebay Hong Kong for half that. Wouldn't dream of it for mechanical parts but is there anyone with experience on body parts from China?

Try used parts first

Its a crap shoot with knock off parts and the game is always fixed in the sellers favor. You might get something that fits just as good as OEM or it might end up being an unusable piece of crap and you won't get a refund with the Hong Kong part. Flea Market IBMW, Re cycle, Boneyard are just a few places that may have a decent used OEM part for your bike, you may need to get it painted but in my opinion its the better option if new is a little to pricey.

All the big insurance giants were sued a few years back because they would only pay for china knock off repair parts for insurance claims. They are now required to pay out for OEM parts for newer vehicle repairs. There was very good evidence showing the knock off stuff was garbage.

On mine, the finger wires were so strong I couldn't get the mirrors on. I swapped them for the old finger wires and that worked.

One mirror has a slightly distorted image but I can live with that.

Overall quality is less but they work and price is what I was willing to pay.

Good luck-

I bought a pair of knockoff turn signal housings and lenses for the back of my R12R: I wanted amber lenses, the bike came with clear, and the BMW prices were just too high. The quality of these particular parts was very good.

Got R1150rt knocked over in a parking lot. Driver sped away. Bike not too bad but has broken mirror housing. $334 from BMW or a full assembly from ebay Hong Kong for half that. Wouldn't dream of it for mechanical parts but is there anyone with experience on body parts from China?

Try and find feedback on that exact item from the seller. If you can't, walk away and stay OE new or used.
"You get what you pay for" couldn't apply more

Positive so far

I got the same experience with my bike (R1150RT 2003) knocked over in a parking lot during a trip in Germany last year. Mirror cracked, flasher lens broken and scratched paint. I couldn't resist buying a full pair of mirrors housing on Ebay from China at $150 shipped here in Canada. On the top of that, the color of the paint is basically the same (blue). They look great and it would take a fine observer to notice the difference. The only parts you have to swap from the old ones are the bulbs and sockets.

Gonna risk it.

As I see it I got 2 warnings and 3 OK's. Eye's wide open - think I'm gonna try.

Yup, may lose $160 bucks cause I'll never get it back if they don't work, but we take chances just riding the things. If it doesn't work, it'll make an interesting paperweight. May build a desk lamp out of them.

Thanks for the replies!

More data on mirror

Making one last effort, I called the BMW dealer. It's not clear on the microfiche but for $223 you get a whole new assembly, not just the housing. That's better to some degree. BUT I still have to get it painted as painted ones are no longer available, another $150 at the dealer. Still working over that issue before I call Hong Kong.

Well, my mirrors need to be replaced, this last trip got the better of them. think ill be giving Hong kong a go, i think they will be fine. anyone have a good recommendation on a good set of crash bars for the 02 1150 RT.

Back