• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hey NASCAR Fans

According to a teevee show on bootleggin' on the National Geographic channel yesterday, a racing promoter first hired bootlegger Junior Johnson et al to race their cars on a dirt oval track in Charlotte, NC.
It's just NASCAR, so it makes no difference anyway.

That was, of course, before it was NASCAR.....but who wants to stand on technicalities. It is a very rich history, however, expecially for those of us who grew up in the Blue Ridge. My hometown is where Robert Mitchem's "Thunder Road" was filmed. Used to drive those roads around Toxaway Falls all the time. Guess it's just close to my heart. YMMV.

Now that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the sound of a V-12 Ferrari at 13,000 RPM, or the sight of a Porsche spitting fire out the exaust in the middle of the night. The only race I have ever been to at Daytona is the Rolex 24.

everybody enjoys different things :nod
i would think we could respect that.
Does that make discussing politics, religion, baseball, football and NASCAR all reasonable things to "respect" on a BMW MOTORCYCLE website? Aren't there other websites available for those pursuits? Those other pursuits did not destroy the availability of motorcycle racing on television as NASCAR did.

I ride a motorcycle. Anyone on this website also rides a motorcycle, or wants to. Cages are my enemy when I am riding and hopefully yours, too. If we don't ride defensively with respect to all the cages out there, they will kill us. People who discuss racing cages in a circle on one of the few places on the internet in which we can find succor from this threat seem to me not to be respecting the fact that this is a MOTORCYCLE website and not a cage website.

We should all respect homosexuals, but this is not the proper website to discuss homosexuality pros and cons.
We should all respect folks' political affiliations, but this is not the proper website to discuss politics, democrat, republican or third party.
Maybe we should even respect folks choice of sports team, but this is not the proper website to discuss your favorite stick and ball team.
And yes, maybe we should even respect our members' (traitorous) love of automobiles. But I contend that this not the proper website to discuss your favorite sports team that not only drives to work, but drives in small circles in a cage when they arrive at work.

Some topics are (thankfully) forbidden here in the BMWMOA forums. If I am wrong and the letters B.M.W.M.O.A. can somehow be rearranged to spell NASCAR, then I don't belong here. I don't care what is popular, never have, never will. If NASCAR is popular with the majority here and supported by the BMWMOA, then the officers need to change the BMWMOA charter to include a mention of support for NASCAR and refund the balance of my lifetime membership dues. Until that happens, my opinion in this BMW MOTORCYCLE ORGANIZATION is that NASCAR SUCKS and should never be mentioned in a BMWMOA publication or forum. Fellow BMW MOA motorcyclists should respect that. There is a whole wide webbernet out there with plenty of sites for like-minded folks. Please take your NASCAR discussions elsewhere. Let's discuss MOTORCYCLES, preferably BMW motorcycles, here in the BMWMOA forums, not cars, particularly cars that we don't drive and won't ever drive, particularly the cars that unfortunately pushed all the REAL racing off of the idiot box. Thank you.

If it is non-motorcycle, derivative-discussions you seek here on the BMWMOA forums, then surely we can initiate thousands of threads generating millions of posts that are every bit as unrelated to BMW motorcycles as NASCAR. Let's start a whole bunch of threads, one on each and every major league sports team and their chances this year. Let's start threads on each of the political candidates, not just in the presidential race, but in each state and county race, too. Let's solve the issue of gay marriage and how best to deal with the US occupation of Muslim countries and whether or not that increases or decreases our security, right here on the BMWMOA forums. The list goes on. Or maybe it is easier just to lump NASCAR in with all the other topics that we agree to "respect" by not talking about them here on this motorcycling website.

Posting about cars going around in circles on a motorcycle website would be trolling. Then again, it IS NASCAR. Trolling about NASCAR is like trolling in the bath tub. Think about it.

Some of us motorheads were into racing and hot rods long before motorcycles grew up. Motorcycles are an extension of our interest in anything with an engine. Have you noticed (probably not) that most race drivers have or have an interest in motorcycles? Kyle Petty has a little bitty charity ride every year where they collect a few dollars and ride a few miles.

I am interested in many things, motorcycling being one of them. I am delighted to discuss any of my interests with likeminded individuals, and occasionally with those opposed to my ideas, on any forum where the subject might come up. I am sorry you disagree with that, but I respect your right to disagree. BTW, when you see a thread about NASCAR, Wine, Beer, Music, or anything else not BMW motorcycle related, you do not have to participate if you are seeking succor.

Freedom of choice is a wonderful thing.

[/QUOTEIf it is non-motorcycle, derivative-discussions you seek here on the BMWMOA forums, then surely we can initiate thousands of threads generating millions of posts that are every bit as unrelated to BMW motorcycles as NASCAR. Let's start a whole bunch of threads, one on each and every major league sports team and their chances this year. Let's start threads on each of the political candidates, not just in the presidential race, but in each state and county race, too. Let's solve the issue of gay marriage and how best to deal with the US occupation of Muslim countries and whether or not that increases or decreases our security, right here on the BMWMOA forums. The list goes on. Or maybe it is easier just to lump NASCAR in with all the other topics that we agree to "respect" by not talking about them here on this motorcycling website.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that what the campfire forum is for.
Look at the threads
Synthetic diamonds
Hey MAC users
My son is a finalist for the hottest husband
The morning reads contains a sections on just about everything

Which brings me back to the original questions you have yet to answer

1. If you despise NASCAR so much why did you look at a thread that said Hey NASCAR fans, you are obviously not a fan.

2. Why do you find it appropriate to insult other people around the campfire.

Which brings me back to the original questions you have yet to answer

1. If you despise NASCAR so much why did you look at a thread that said Hey NASCAR fans, you are obviously not a fan.

And here I thought I HAD answered those questions. I'll type slowly this time, to make it easier to read.

Here's an executive summary:
1. "For evil to triumph, good men need but do nothing."
2. Anyone who believes that WWF wrestling is real or that NASCAR is racing is in serious need of a wake-up call."

Non-executive summary version...

1. NASCAR has destroyed any chance for REAL motor racing to appear on television anymore. NASCAR shut down Moto GP racing on TV. I realize Grand Prix is an extremely difficult motorsport for NASCAR fans to follow because it involves both left AND right turns and generally the entire field is not on the same lap. But REAL motor racing is a whole lot more exciting to watch than say... paint drying, which of course comes ahead of watching golf, bowling and NASCAR. When it comes to "racing" NASCAR is the absolute lowest common denominator and has turned the Speed Channel into crap.

"Oh... you ride a motorcycle? Do you ride an Orange County Chopper? I LOVE that show."

NASCAR is to motor racing what OCC is to BMW motorcycling, which is to say, totally unrelated. Yet both NASCAR and OCC are dominating the idiot box and the limited brain-bandwidth of the masses. This destroys the possiblity of getting REAL programming on the air. The Long Way Round was really about motorcyling, and only aired twice. But even THAT ended with an episode of OCC. (Note that drawing a parallel between NASCAR and OCC is a tactic that brings MOTORCYCLES into the discussion on this MOTORCYCLE forum, unlike simply talking about "whose tar equalized durin' the final lap on Sunday.")

1a. Gee, but NASCAR is so POPULAR!

So were happy face t-shirts and buttons. So were Chia pets. So is/was smoking cigarettes, crack cocaine and ice (meth). George Bush even managed to get elected, TWICE! Sometimes it take a while for "the masses" to realize which way up is. Just because something is popular doesn't make it a good idea. "But mom... everybody else is doing it."

"Nobody ever went broke by underestimating the intelligence or taste of the American public." - HL Mencken and/or PT Barnum

2. Apparently NASCAR fans enjoy fishing in a bucket. Throwing a stick of dynamite in the bucket might get them to quit talking about the WWF of racing CARS at our MOTORCYCLE campsite. When you finally realize that before the race even starts, the folks running the show know who is going to win and still the suckers^H^H^H^H^H^H^H fans pay money to see a "race," then you'll "get" why I despise NASCAR and feel that it is inappropriate to discuss on a MOTORCYCLE website.

Summary:
How many motorcyclists do you know or heard of who were injured or killed by synthetic diamonds, a Macintosh computer or a finalist for the hottest husband? How about bikers who are dead or injured due to cars and drivers without a clue? Glorifying the stupidest form of car driving has no place on a forum supported by motorcyclists. Reread the previous sentence. THAT is my objection to the discussion in these BMW MOTORCYCLE forums.

Did I answer your questions?

While the Campfire IS the place to discuss whether or not NASCAR is worth discussing at the Campfire, it is NOT the place to actually discuss NASCAR. The difference in nuance is possibly too subtle.

When you finally realize that before the race even starts, the folks running the show know who is going to win
While all of your other points are well substantiated, and with all due respect to your other opinions on the matter, this is complete and utter bullshit.

While all of your other points are well substantiated, and with all due respect to your other opinions on the matter, this is complete and utter bullshit.

+1 and you were being much to king to him. IMHO of course . Next week NASCAR is in California. Go Gordon (24)

everybody enjoys different things :nod

i would think we could respect that.

That was exactly our over-whelming point about DGT. Many members on the left, center, and right wanted it. Many of us don't like NASCAR but I support their right to post about NASCAR yes, on a motorycle web site.

Why? Because among those who care about NASCAR, they can discuss something I don't understand. It's their community they're building.

In the over week after DGT was scammed, it is apparent a lot of people stayed away from the forums for various reasons. If someone doesn't like NASCAR - DON"T READ IT when it's clearly noted in the post.

Not an attack on you, Bubba, but there's a lot here that's strangely familiar.

Does that make discussing politics, religion, baseball, football and NASCAR all reasonable things to "respect" on a BMW MOTORCYCLE website? Aren't there other websites available for those pursuits? Those other pursuits did not destroy the availability of motorcycle racing on television as NASCAR did.

I ride a motorcycle. Anyone on this website also rides a motorcycle, or wants to. Cages are my enemy when I am riding and hopefully yours, too. If we don't ride defensively with respect to all the cages out there, they will kill us. People who discuss racing cages in a circle on one of the few places on the internet in which we can find succor from this threat seem to me not to be respecting the fact that this is a MOTORCYCLE website and not a cage website.

We should all respect homosexuals, but this is not the proper website to discuss homosexuality pros and cons.
We should all respect folks' political affiliations, but this is not the proper website to discuss politics, democrat, republican or third party.
Maybe we should even respect folks choice of sports team, but this is not the proper website to discuss your favorite stick and ball team.
And yes, maybe we should even respect our members' (traitorous) love of automobiles. But I contend that this not the proper website to discuss your favorite sports team that not only drives to work, but drives in small circles in a cage when they arrive at work.

Some topics are (thankfully) forbidden here in the BMWMOA forums. If I am wrong and the letters B.M.W.M.O.A. can somehow be rearranged to spell NASCAR, then I don't belong here. I don't care what is popular, never have, never will. If NASCAR is popular with the majority here and supported by the BMWMOA, then the officers need to change the BMWMOA charter to include a mention of support for NASCAR and refund the balance of my lifetime membership dues. Until that happens, my opinion in this BMW MOTORCYCLE ORGANIZATION is that NASCAR SUCKS and should never be mentioned in a BMWMOA publication or forum. Fellow BMW MOA motorcyclists should respect that. There is a whole wide webbernet out there with plenty of sites for like-minded folks. Please take your NASCAR discussions elsewhere. Let's discuss MOTORCYCLES, preferably BMW motorcycles, here in the BMWMOA forums, not cars, particularly cars that we don't drive and won't ever drive, particularly the cars that unfortunately pushed all the REAL racing off of the idiot box. Thank you.

If it is non-motorcycle, derivative-discussions you seek here on the BMWMOA forums, then surely we can initiate thousands of threads generating millions of posts that are every bit as unrelated to BMW motorcycles as NASCAR. Let's start a whole bunch of threads, one on each and every major league sports team and their chances this year. Let's start threads on each of the political candidates, not just in the presidential race, but in each state and county race, too. Let's solve the issue of gay marriage and how best to deal with the US occupation of Muslim countries and whether or not that increases or decreases our security, right here on the BMWMOA forums. The list goes on. Or maybe it is easier just to lump NASCAR in with all the other topics that we agree to "respect" by not talking about them here on this motorcycling website.

If you REALLY want to go down this route, there's a group of us monitoring the site for consistency. Kind of silent volunteers.

Otherwise, if you don't like a post, stay out of it. I hate NASCAR probably more than it sounds like you do but I support the right of people here who want to discuss what they call racing (sorry, couldn't resist but not a trolling attempt).

You can go discuss dino v. synth all day long. Frankly, if I see another photo trip taking a picture of someone's breakfast, I'm going to throw up similar colors as what's posted in the pics.

Don't like it, don't read it but please do not impose your demands on others.

And here I thought I HAD answered those questions. I'll type slowly this time, to make it easier to read.

2. Anyone who believes that WWF wrestling is real or that NASCAR is racing is in serious need of a wake-up call."

1. NASCAR has destroyed any chance for REAL motor racing to appear on television anymore. NASCAR shut down Moto GP racing on TV. I realize Grand Prix is an extremely difficult motorsport for NASCAR fans to follow because it involves both left AND right turns and generally the entire field is not on the same lap. But REAL motor racing is a whole lot more exciting to watch than say... paint drying, which of course comes ahead of watching golf, bowling and NASCAR. When it comes to "racing" NASCAR is the absolute lowest common denominator and has turned the Speed Channel into crap.

"Oh... you ride a motorcycle? Do you ride an Orange County Chopper? I LOVE that show."

NASCAR is to motor racing what OCC is to BMW motorcycling, which is to say, totally unrelated. Yet both NASCAR and OCC are dominating the idiot box and the limited brain-bandwidth of the masses. This destroys the possiblity of getting REAL programming on the air. The Long Way Round was really about motorcyling, and only aired twice. But even THAT ended with an episode of OCC. (Note that drawing a parallel between NASCAR and OCC is a tactic that brings MOTORCYCLES into the discussion on this MOTORCYCLE forum, unlike simply talking about "whose tar equalized durin' the final lap on Sunday.")

So were happy face t-shirts and buttons. So were Chia pets. So is/was smoking cigarettes, crack cocaine and ice (meth). George Bush even managed to get elected, TWICE! Sometimes it take a while for "the masses" to realize which way up is. Just because something is popular doesn't make it a good idea. "But mom... everybody else is doing it."

"Nobody ever went broke by underestimating the intelligence or taste of the American public." - HL Mencken and/or PT Barnum

2. Apparently NASCAR fans enjoy fishing in a bucket. Throwing a stick of dynamite in the bucket might get them to quit talking about the WWF of racing CARS at our MOTORCYCLE campsite. When you finally realize that before the race even starts, the folks running the show know who is going to win and still the suckers^H^H^H^H^H^H^H fans pay money to see a "race," then you'll "get" why I despise NASCAR and feel that it is inappropriate to discuss on a MOTORCYCLE website.

Summary:
How many motorcyclists do you know or heard of who were injured or killed by synthetic diamonds, a Macintosh computer or a finalist for the hottest husband? How about bikers who are dead or injured due to cars and drivers without a clue? Glorifying the stupidest form of car driving has no place on a forum supported by motorcyclists. Reread the previous sentence. THAT is my objection to the discussion in these BMW MOTORCYCLE forums.

While the Campfire IS the place to discuss whether or not NASCAR is worth discussing at the Campfire, it is NOT the place to actually discuss NASCAR. The difference in nuance is possibly too subtle.

So, what it took you a long time to write is there perhaps should be a forum to discuss non-BMW Motorrad related topics?

+1 and you were being much to king to him. IMHO of course . Next week NASCAR is in California. Go Gordon (24)

While I like Jeff Gordon as an individual, I cannot bring my self to support him or any of the Hendrick teams. Maybe it is my desire to see parity in the sport where driver skill is the determining factor, not how much money you can throw at your car's set up. Personally, I would love to see how good Jeff or Jimmy or Junior are in say the 49 or the 34. Knaus figures if Jimmy went to a bottom tier team, he would have the team up to the mid 20s in owner points in about 3/4 of a season simply because Jimmy knows how to communicate with the crew.

Personally, I will be pulling for the MWR cars to qualify for the race. I like Mikey. I started watching Inside Winston Cup before I actually started watching the races. I thought that show was hilarious. The new incarnation - This Week In Nascar will take some getting used to but it is still enjoyable.

Imho

The New York Times last week ran an article in the sports pages about NASCAR about Kurt Bush and Tony Stewart scuffling after a race. They compared it to the golden age of NASCAR when Bobby & Donnie Allison and Cale Yarborough fought after their races and went on to emphasize how good it is for the sport that the drivers are getting publicity. Well they say in Hollywood that there is no such thing as bad publicity. It is only a short step until the drivers are breaking chairs over each otherÔÇÖs backs in press conferences The World Wrestling FederationÔÇÖs Vince McMahon is calling the action.

It is absurd to think that the races are staged like WWF, but the creativity of builders and tuners is wrung out of the series. The power and aerodynamics of the cars is the same, so passing is a result of pit stops and crashes. They bump for crying out loud. On purpose they make contact while traveling at almost 200 MPH. This results in crashes and a racing venue that permits drivers to cause other drivers to crash is ill conceived. That is not good sportsmanship and it is not true to the character of good racing. It kills people. Of course another fatality would certainly bring welcome publicity to NASCAR.

This photo is me next to my brother in lawÔÇÖs Dale Earnhardt car.

Attachments

• Bob No. 3.jpg
    Bob No. 3.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 82

Summary:

We need more open minded and understanding people.

Summary:

No you did not.
Executive summary
#1 Are you implying with this quote that NASCAR is somehow evil and must be eliminated
#2 Another repeated insult.

Detailed Summary
In #1 you just repeated all the things that dislike about NASCAR
In #2 you repeated all of your opinions of people who like NASCAR
And you final summary is pointless because Campfire is for discussing non motorcycle topics.

So I ask again

While I like Jeff Gordon as an individual, I cannot bring my self to support him or any of the Hendrick teams. Maybe it is my desire to see parity in the sport where driver skill is the determining factor, not how much money you can throw at your car's set up. Personally, I would love to see how good Jeff or Jimmy or Junior are in say the 49 or the 34. Knaus figures if Jimmy went to a bottom tier team, he would have the team up to the mid 20s in owner points in about 3/4 of a season simply because Jimmy knows how to communicate with the crew.

Personally, I will be pulling for the MWR cars to qualify for the race. I like Mikey. I started watching Inside Winston Cup before I actually started watching the races. I thought that show was hilarious. The new incarnation - This Week In Nascar will take some getting used to but it is still enjoyable.

I do agree to a certain extent about the parity, IROC was pretty good, take drivers from different venues, give them identical cars and see who can win.

Why do you find it appropriate to insult other people around the campfire.

If I was insulting I apologize.

My opinion is that French franchise has turned NASCAR from sport to entertainment and that racing is worse for it. I suppose I could have just said that in the first place without the overblown rhetoric.

So I ask again

Third time, plain and simple, NASCAR and its fans destroyed motorcycle racing on television, that's why. That simple answer fits both questions.

Voicing that opinion in a thread about NASCAR posted ON a motorcycle website makes perfect sense to anyone but a NASCAR fan. It is obvious that NASCAR fans will never be capable of understanding the answer so you can stop asking the question and I will stop repeating it.

I'll leave y'all alone with your left turns now and go teach a pig to sing, likely with MUCH better results.