• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hexhead forum to start up soon..

deilenberger

A bozo on the bus
So - a request. We'll be moving hexhead specific threads to the forum once it's setup. If you're posting on a Hexhead specific topic - please include "hexhead" or your bike model in the subject line. That will make it lots easier to do the initial seeding of the forum with bike specific topics.

Thanks!

What is the rationale for establishing a separate hexhead forum here, when one already exists at BMWSPORTTOURING.COM? Is there a difference in philosophy or topics? The latter site clearly has more traffic, a larger following.

The above is not meant to be obstructionist, but a sincere query into the underlying rationale.

I'm glad to hear this!

I've only got so much time during the day (I can't access the internet at work) so between this forum, Advrider and a local area sportrider forum my coffee and arse time run out.
I'm pleased to see this change coming. Let other forums do what they will, this one is "mine" and adaptation is good
Thank you

Sanders

What is the rationale for establishing a separate hexhead forum here, when one already exists at BMWSPORTTOURING.COM? Is there a difference in philosophy or topics? The latter site clearly has more traffic, a larger following.

The above is not meant to be obstructionist, but a sincere query into the underlying rationale.
I visit BMWSPORTOURING.COM regularly. Maybe I'm not astute enough, but I find our own MOA forum considerably easier to navigate. I've never figured out how to bring up only new posts over on the sport touring forum. And it seems to be a bit more cliqueish (sp?). There are a bunch of regulars over there, and while they are cordial to newbies, they don't seem to have much room at the table. Anyway, I think it's entirely appropriate for the MOA to have a hexhead forum, and hope I didn't insult or disparage the other board, at which I mostly lurk. ;)

Not obstructionist at all..

The answers are several:

- The hexhead bikes are enough different from the original 1100/1150 engine bikes that very little technical crosses over. I've owned both - and there are very few parts besides light bulbs and plugs that could be used on both series of bikes. The technology is all new on the Hexheads - with advanced computer tech being used, a different engine, transmission, rear drive and brakes. Lumping them together increases the noise level - someone looking for hexhead info has to dig past the oilhead stuff and vice versa.

- It's a member service - and creates a sense of community among users. On forums like BMW Sport Touring - where both exist - people get to know each other - know their bikes - and a community forms. The goal of the MOA is to create a BMW community - it's part of the charter of the club. Making a new forum for new bike series helps foster that goal.

- The members wanted it. If you go to the sticky at the top of the oilhead forum - where a poll was done - it was overwhelmingly voted to form the new forum.

While BMWSportTouring is a great forum - the BMW-MOA forums should also strive for greatness. I hang out on both - and there is no reason not to, but for people who prefer the MOA environment (which is open to members only) - we should provide as much opportunity for members to interact as we can.

Hope that explains it..

Thanks Don for the clarification. I fully agree that separating hexheads from oilheads makes great sense. What I didn't know is whether or not I could expect to find systematically different coverage between the Sporttouring hexhead section and the new hexhead section here. From the responses, I infer that they really are parallel forums, albeit this forum has MOA membership as an entry requirement. I'll continue to monitor both!

Don,

In the original survey, I was one of the very few who did not vote in favor of a Hex forum.

I was wrong.

I am glad that there will be one.

Thanks,

Gary

Back