• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Help wanted to identify specific bike 2007 R1200GS

the-oz-slider
Hello All,
Eventually I will either give up or everyone will get sick of me and block me from the forum, but in the meanwhile I need some serious help...my '07 R1200GS has had a series of problem from when I first purchased it 18 months ago, from a seller in PA. Maybe he knew the magnitude of the problem the bike had, maybe not, but nonetheless Im stuck with it, so in slowly wading my way through the problems.

Most recently it was the fuel pump module on top of the tank which had corroded and blew its brains out, but after an incredible highway incident when a mag wheel broke off an old Camaro and centre punched me, the bike is currently in the dealers for insurance repairs, and they have raised the issue of not repairing the ABS because of all the pre-existing faults...I have no problem with that, but I need to fix this bike once and for all......

I am now at the point where I have decided that replacing the wiring harness is the next step in trying to find/eliminate my ABS issues. The local dealer found 18 fault codes includes "brake switches missing" and he tried to tell me that the bike doesnt have any 'brake switches'......well I know that isnt actually the case, but it leads to me conclude that the ongoing fault with the bike may be the wiring harness. While I also believe the ABS module is shot, Im really taking the easy way out and eliminating one thing at a time, albeit its damn expensive but I have no other choice. The bike has had surgery/butchery on the ABS plug in the harness, probably by the last person who owned/worked on it, possibly looking for a fault but alas, all that has happened is that I now have a butchered plug/ harness, albeit I am certain that the pins and connectors are fitted correctly to match up to the correct places on the ABS module, even thought he plug itself is screwed up.

So I have decided to buy a used harness and try my luck. If that doesnt work then I will send the module to the guys in Idaho and see if they can fix it......I am trying to identify my bike sufficiently to make sure that I buy the correct harness and thats where Im having the problem.

Can someone more knowledgeable than me by far help me to correctly identify my bike? The last seven number of the VIn are ZR42289, and it was manufactured in October 2006. I believe it is fitted with the I ABS2, but not ESA. Can someone please confirm or deny the actual age/model etc rather than me guessing which specific bike I have before I blow a pile more money on more BMW parts?
Prior to my mishap with the Camaro wheel, the bike ran fine, but the ABS red light was permanently lit, and the ABS system obviously didn't work at all...the bike had a serious pulsing through the front brake when applied moderately, and I assumed that was part of the ABS system not working properly.

Good news is that Im getting new brake rotors, ABS ring, front wheel and tyre, handlebars and a few other assorted bits as a result of the at-fault moron driving the ****-box 39 year old piece of crap that almost killed my grand-daughter and I last week.....
So help me please if you can......:violin
Thanks
Al

As DcnDog pointed out you can enter your VIN into realoem. According to the VIN RealOEM also thinks your bike was made in Oct, 2006. You can confirm that by looking at the plate under the small black cover on the left side of the tank just under the aluminum portion of the tank cover. That plate has both the VIN and the month and year the vehicle was manufactured. Mine reads 0505 for May of 2005. I'll bet yours reads 1006.

The 10th digit of the VIN (the digit in front of that Z in the portion of the VIN you gave us) is the model year. The model year may be different from the year manufactured. It will be a '7' for a 2007 model.

That info should answer all questions about what bike you have. As for the other stuff...

Fuel pump controller failures is a known issue and some bikes were recalled to replace the faulty component. I wonder if your VIN falls into the range of recalled bikes and if the PO actually had the work performed?

The '07 GS was the first year to get iABS II. The earlier version had switches at the brake levers. iABS II bikes don't have those switches; that may explain the "bike doesnt have any 'brake switches'" comment from your dealer.

Good luck getting your ride repaired.

Al,

Please read: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=46055 - I think you can see that info in the thread title might garner some more specific info.. If your bike was titled as an '07 is should have the later non-whizzy brake system.

In that case - the dealer is correct - it has no brake switches. The brake lights are triggered off the ABS system through communications with the ZFE module (that actually controls the lights.) October of 2006 should be a 2007 model. The link to REALOEM will resolve it to some extent since you can look up the parts based on the VIN#.

I'm adding the info to your thread title - please do so yourself in future posts to the tech forums.

Bike identity

Thanks guys, I had the RealOEM link set up, and have confirmed the correct harness, by also comparing to the actual numbers on my harness.....all is good as far as that is concerned, lots more to worry about still...
I have found an almost new harness in the UK, so Im buying that, and will then attack the ABS and other problems, with the help of a GS911 as well.

Wiring harness wanted

So my deal for a harness from the UK was all smoke and mirrors apparently...the dealer had it, then he didnt have it, then he did etc etc.....right up until I went to give him my credit card # and suddenly it was already sold...what the heck...and this is a reputable BMW wrecker.....
So I need a harness to suit an '07 R1200GS [built October 2006], heated grips, IABS2, no computer, last diigids of the VIn are ZR42289. Please contact me if you/know/see/hear of a suitable harness.
Thanks
T-O-S

Back