• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Help me ID this airhead

dfleming252

The year was 1966 or '67, I was 6 years old and I saw my first BMW. With my little brother clinging on for dear life I set off and I haven't looked back. Is it possible from this picture to determine the model? I believe that it was a new bike, shown at a home show in Weirton WV. The photo was printed in May of '67.
Thanks for your help. Now if I can figure out how to upload the photo...
BTW, I now own my 4th and 5th airheads '76 R90/6 and '84 R100.

Attachments

• first bmw ride 1.jpg
    first bmw ride 1.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 223
Here is another view. Can't see the tail light very well. Seems to have storage on top of the tank.

Attachments

• first bmw ride 2.jpg
    first bmw ride 2.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 196
Man, those are awesome photos. The expressions on your face & your brother's face are priceless. I have one of my cousin 2 years ago on a Yamaha R1 race bike & he is hamming it up like that!

And behind it are what looks like a Honda CB450 and a Honda 90 on the platform as well as a white Honda Dream (either 160 or 305) on the floor. That would match the date as 1965 or '66.

Thanks so much for your responses. I love these pictures. I can see that even from the age of six, I was destined to have motorcycles in my life. I had, as my first airhead a 1968 R50/2, that I bought from Mike Abt in about 1980. If I still had that bike it would fill the need, but alas I sold it in the mid 80s. Now I'm on the hunt...

What a classic photograph!! Not only a brand new Black Bomber and the /2 but the "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" balloons are so priceless.

I would have to say

The bike in the background is a Honda 50, one of over 1 million. The BMW is a 1965 or earlier R 50/2. You can see the end of the front brake lever in one photo and it is a 1965 or earlier blade type, you can also tell that the gas tank badges are also 1965 and below. Now the reason I say its an R 50 and not R 60 is in the second picture gives a pretty good look at the cylinder and its actual size compared to other components like exhaust and frame tube. The bike is obviously new and the picture was developed in 67 so I would go with a left over BMW R 50/2 that got a Sport tank added to it to entice a buyer.

You're mistaken

The bike in the background is a Honda 50, one of over 1 million. The BMW is a 1965 or earlier R 50/2. You can see the end of the front brake lever in one photo and it is a 1965 or earlier blade type, you can also tell that the gas tank badges are also 1965 and below. Now the reason I say its an R 50 and not R 60 is in the second picture gives a pretty good look at the cylinder and its actual size compared to other components like exhaust and frame tube. The bike is obviously new and the picture was developed in 67 so I would go with a left over BMW R 50/2 that got a Sport tank added to it to entice a buyer.

No. The bike in the background is a Honda 65. Similar to the 50 (at least to the untrained eye), but much different.

:usa

Back