• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Help an F800 rider!!

MANDYPANTS

Greetings all!

I just received a phone call from a member riding through West Virgina. She is on a new F800ST and has been experiencing problems for 4 days during her trip.

It's not an issue with fuel...she's run several tanks through and is using premium fuel.

She said that when she fills up and takes off, she gets going and then her bike dies, as if someone has hit the kill switch. It loses all power and is quite unnerving in the twisties.

She is nowhere near a dealer and is curious as to what is wrong with her bike.

Anybody else have this happen?

She has an Anonymous book, and is not traveling alone.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Greetings all!

I just received a phone call from a member riding through West Virgina. She is on a new F800ST and has been experiencing problems for 4 days during her trip.

It's not an issue with fuel...she's run several tanks through and is using premium fuel.

She said that when she fills up and takes off, she gets going and then her bike dies, as if someone has hit the kill switch. It loses all power and is quite unnerving in the twisties.

She is nowhere near a dealer and is curious as to what is wrong with her bike.

Anybody else have this happen?

She has an Anonymous book, and is not traveling alone.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Clogged tank vent? She dropped it and filled the charcoal canister?

It's hard to tell.

I'll pass that info along to her.
Interesting that the F800 is having problems so early on with such low mileage...very strange...

Thanks for helping out!
:wave

F800 issues

First the bad news: there have been a lot of teething troubles with the F800. Now the good news: (for the North Americans) the rest of the world acted as beta-testers to get the F800 pretty much de-bugged before it hit our shores.

If you followed the F800 website (now a chartered MOA virtual club like Chain Gang) there were gearbox, engine paint, low speed driveability and cutting out problems with the early deliveries. Fortunately they were all but ironed out before the bike hit N.A. in any numbers. My April 2007 build F800 is flawless.

If someone has an F800 issue or interest, I highly recommend checking out the F800.org website.

What was the 'Fix' for that F800ST?

Mangdypants did your friend get her bike fixed? I'd like to know if she brought it in to a certified BMW Dealership and had them look at it & document the problem? If so what did they have to say? Either way I'm curious to what they say the issue was for sure, and if it is fixed? I too have had my bike cut out on me a few times.....yup maybe 3x in 2500 miles. It is very disturbing to say the least and I too would like to know what I should do. :huh

With a courtesy nod to this site, for all things F800 related http://f800riders.org/index.asp is, as far as I have seen, the definitive spot for real-world practical F800 news and information posted by actual owners not journalists.

And, before you naysayers chime in, it is a BMWMOA affiliated club.

If you have a problem, concern or, more often than not, overwhelming praise for your bike, post it there and you will get a response within hours, if not minutes.

Specifically, for your problem, it certainly sounds like an upgrade to the 9.2 computer software is in order. There is a bulletin out for it and is fully covered by warranty.

I just took my bike in for its 12000 mile service. In the last 6000 miles it had probably died 20 plus times; in fact it died 4 times on the way to the dealer for the service, 140 miles with quite a few stop signs. It may have died more than that but I was careful to keep the rpms up when I was stopping to make sure it didn't die. Anyway, I told the dealer and they hooked it up to the computer and reprogrammed it and on the way home it did not die and I rode it 60 miles today and no cutouts. They checked the valves and changed the plugs and air filter and oil and it runs better than ever.

Back