• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Helmets, Gps's, MP3, and Bluetooth???

beeryboats

I'm still waiting for my '01 R1100RT to show up. But I'm trying to get a grip on a new helmet and any accesories I want to work in concert. The '01 didn't come with a radio, which I want, if for nothing more than traffic reports. What I want is a pair of helmets that have an intercom and radio or MP3 input. I would prefer a bluetooth like I saw in the Nolan N-102 N-com helmet today. But becoming an "old phart" I have no idea what I need to make bluetooth work. I have the Garmin 450 which does not have this bluetooth output, which is ok by me. I can read a map. But I really need to tell the wife to lean the other way!!!!:hug
Jay

I'm still waiting for my '01 R1100RT to show up. But I'm trying to get a grip on a new helmet and any accesories I want to work in concert. The '01 didn't come with a radio, which I want, if for nothing more than traffic reports. What I want is a pair of helmets that have an intercom and radio or MP3 input. I would prefer a bluetooth like I saw in the Nolan N-102 N-com helmet today. But becoming an "old phart" I have no idea what I need to make bluetooth work. I have the Garmin 450 which does not have this bluetooth output, which is ok by me. I can read a map. But I really need to tell the wife to lean the other way!!!!:hug
Jay

BMW has just announced a new GPS using the Zumo by Garmin which has an MP3 player and traffic reports. Included is a 3 month subscription to the traffic. It also has Bluetooth, etc. About $960 or so.
The best simple helmet headset for intercom and GPS info I have found is the Interphone by BlueAnt. It is Bluetooth and lasts for days on it's internal battery for occasional GPS info, and about 5 hours on intercom 100% use to another unit on another rider.
For music, I would get a dual speaker setup though by Baehr. Not cheap but the absolute best I think.
Or you could use a wired custom earphone setup from the MP3 in the GPS.

Thanks Jack,
The Garmin she bought me is the 440 which does not have the bluetooth. I hate listening to those things anyway.

I just read a review of seven modular helmets online and learned that you are not supposed to ride with the chin bar up. Bummer. My intention was to be able to ride to work full face in the cool morning air, and be able to come home open face, stuck in traffic, in the heat. And if the bucket is pre done for comms it's just another plus if I can get the wife on the back.

Why would they sell flipup helmets if you are supposed to ride with it down all the time. Sure, they are safer with the bar in the down position but on those hot days.....I wear a Schuberth C2 all day at work. It's heavy and the internal and exterior visors have worn out in 18 months. We are switching to the Carlberg Justissimo. A hell of alot lighter, the visors ratchets appear to be more stout. The internal visor is superior to the C2. When the bar is up, it blocks all the rain we get here in SW Washington. And you cant beat the price.

Just remember" You can out run the motor cop but you can't outrun Motorola":deal

+1 on the autocom. I use a Shoei multitec helmet with a autocom active plus unit and the Garmin Zumo 550. This set up works great. The multitec is great and easy to install an autocom in. Kyle at helmetcity.com was a real help to me in finding proper helmet fit. The zumo works great check out offroute.com. By the time you consider shipping cost, there price was pretty good and they guaranteed overnignt delivery, which I had to have. I had it next day at 8:30 a.m. The mp3 player works good and with an autocom the music volume decreases by 50% when you speak and 100% when audio GPS directions are given. As far as bluetooth I have not used that feature of the zumo yet. The autocom system will support bluetooth with an adapter and you can order the autocom with a powered port for the bluetooth. If you call autocom they will tell you how it works. Hope this helps.

+1 on the autocom. I use a Shoei multitec helmet with a autocom active plus unit and the Garmin Zumo 550. This set up works great. The multitec is great and easy to install an autocom in. Kyle at helmetcity.com was a real help to me in finding proper helmet fit. The zumo works great check out offroute.com. By the time you consider shipping cost, there price was pretty good and they guaranteed overnignt delivery, which I had to have. I had it next day at 8:30 a.m. The mp3 player works good and with an autocom the music volume decreases by 50% when you speak and 100% when audio GPS directions are given. As far as bluetooth I have not used that feature of the zumo yet. The autocom system will support bluetooth with an adapter and you can order the autocom with a powered port for the bluetooth. If you call autocom they will tell you how it works. Hope this helps.

The Shoei Multitec is my choice too. I wear the Schuberth C2 in the winter because it is warmer however. The Multi has lots of ear room for speaker, etc. And it is a premium helmet.

The Blue tooth in the Zumo 550 and the Blue tooth adapter from Autocom allow you to make and receive phone calls without touching your phone. ( You have to have a phone with Blue tooth and the Zumo 550 and not the 450)) When your phone pairs with the Zumo, it actually mirrors your entire address book from your phone so all calls can be made using the touch screen. You can even dial "Last called" or "Missed call" with a single touch to the screen. When you receive an incoming call, the display changes to "Incoming call" showing who is calling. Simply hit the accept button on the screen and you can have a hands free conversation with both hands on the bars and looking down the road. It works great and folks don't even realize you're riding 70mph down the highway. The audio comes through both L and R channels so you hear in both ears real clearly.

My earphones and mike are in a Shoei X-11 which is a full face helmet with super wide visibility and excellent ventilation. It's pretty pricey, but excellent comfort and performance if you can get away from a flip up style. My gripe has always been the noise level on the flip ups though it's been awhile so I'm sure the newer models have improved.

It sounds like I'm kinda hosed on this whole wireless BT deal. She bought the 450 not the 550 knowing I hate listening to the GPS. But it does have the MP3 built in. I guess I'm stuck with a wire to the helmet and let her pinch me when she has to pee:laugh

Jay

It sounds like I'm kinda hosed on this whole wireless BT deal. She bought the 450 not the 550 knowing I hate listening to the GPS. But it does have the MP3 built in. I guess I'm stuck with a wire to the helmet and let her pinch me when she has to pee:laugh

Jay

Not really. You can't Blue tooth your phone through your Zumo 450 or listen to XM ( That's an additional option anyway) , but you can still communicate with your wife using the Autocom or listen to music in stereo.

Not to make you feel bad, but the Zumo has a quick and separate volume control for both music and GPS. If you don't want to hear the GPS, turn it to zero. If you only want to hear music, turn the music volume up.

What is the deal with sat radio? I'm no techy you can tell. But eveyone I've seen is either built into the radio on a car or plugs into a cassette adapter into the car radio. I did see a Harley last weekend had a small xm unit and a pair of handle bar bullet speakers. I've looked through the adds in the MOA mag, but have not seen any sat receivers like I saw on the Harley.
Jay

What is the deal with sat radio? I'm no techy you can tell. But eveyone I've seen is either built into the radio on a car or plugs into a cassette adapter into the car radio. I did see a Harley last weekend had a small xm unit and a pair of handle bar bullet speakers. I've looked through the adds in the MOA mag, but have not seen any sat receivers like I saw on the Harley.
Jay
Perhaps you say a Sirius Stiletto? There's a new Stiletto 2 coming out soon (link here). You can see the original version by clicking on "all radios" and then "portables" at http://shop.sirius.com.

Michael

Jay

There are stand alone units available at Best buy, sorry, no details. I bought the XM adapter for my Zumo 550, they call it an antenna but in fact it is the XM unit, and run the whole sytem through my Autocom and Shoei MultiTech.

BMW has just announced a new GPS using the Zumo by Garmin which has an MP3 player and traffic reports. Included is a 3 month subscription to the traffic. It also has Bluetooth, etc. About $960 or so......

I just saw one at the BMW dealer today. $669 It also has all the BMW dealers already on the maps.

What is the deal with sat radio? I'm no techy you can tell. But eveyone I've seen is either built into the radio on a car or plugs into a cassette adapter into the car radio.

I use a Pioneer Inno XM radio on my 12RT. It comes with a very good pair of ear buds, but I use headphone speakers that I put in my helmet. I use a Ztechnik Z6100 mount on the handlbar and added a cigarette lighter for power. It also has MP3 capability to hold about four albums of songs.

Back