• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hello from Montco, PA

RBEmerson

Kein Nasebohrer
I finally pulled the trigger on BMW MOA membership after owning my '03 K 1200 RS for a little over a year. I rode for a while in and after college (started with a Yammy YL-1 100cc twin - yowza!) and called it quits with a Suzuki T-500 that was ported and generally worked over, by the PO, for drag racing - it did OK on the street but routinely cracked pistons thanks to a little too enthusiastic grinding on the part of the PO (took out a bar in the intake ports specifically intended to keep the skirts from expanding in the wrong place). The bug bit again about ten years ago and I wound up reviving a Honda CB900 Custom (complete with two-speed transfer case) "barn find", my first shafty. That bike ate a valve and I sold the bike, now complete with a full Vetter kit, fairing, lowers, bags, trunk, to "some guy in Alabama". No idea if he ever replaced the head or otherwise got the bike going. The next bike was a '99 Concours, "Barney" (even Kawasaki never admitted the '99's are purple; they call the color "Amaranth red" but it's really "Barney purple") which got a bunch of miles on it before hydro-locking with gas leaking into #2 cylinder (a known problem - silly me for missing the signs). Last I heard, Barney was put back on the road with a new motor and sold soon after that.

With the death of Barney two days before my 64th birthday, I went bananas and nailed down The Red Flash, an '03 K 1200 RS found at Hermy's in Port Clinton, PA (fine folks!). The bike came with a set of Ohlins already installed, along with GT air deflectors for the upper fairing. Since then I've upgraded the horn to a Fiamm horn originally bought for Barney. I've also put in DDT Tuning HID lighting (high and low beams) which is a vast improvement over the stock lighting (IMHO, inadequate for even 'round the block riding, let alone running at speed).

Unfortunately, most of my riding is within a couple of hours of home. SWMBO used to ride but I guess camping from the back of a Yammy YDS-3 (250 cc - oooh wow!) kinda cured her of wanting to ride. So I ride when I can.

We also sail and have spent the last two winters running from the Chesapeake Bay to the Abacos in the Bahamas (and back, of course), which rather limits my riding chances. We're taking this winter off but next year we'll move onto the Exumas - longer sail but not much riding.

Finally, FWIW, we're both bi-lingual, German-English. I'm from Boston (way back when) and Chris is from near Wiesbaden, Germany.

But enough about me... :lol

Welcome to the MOA and the forum RB. I'm in the Lansdale area, so probably not far from you. I'm a big fan of the KRS. Like you, I get out when I can, but it's not as often as I'd like.

Welcome to the MOA from Jacobus, PA

Welcome to the MOA from Jacobus, PA. You joined a great organization with outstanding members. Enjoy the ride.

Thanks, folks!

I've actually managed to get in a couple hundred miles in the last few days - managed to drag a trip to the tractor dealer (about 6 miles) into a loop around Lake Nockamixon and back via Plumsteadville (12 miles into a 40-50 mile ride) and stuff like that. I even got lucky and dodged the rain forecast for today; another 50 miles on the clock out of a trip to the dentist (20 miles each way). :thumb

Now to go play road warrior and attend to some business in Portland, OR. No riding there and back, alas - time for "USeless Air".

Back