• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Head shake

months ago there was a link someone had posted on rebuilding forks. It went into great depth how to check alingment etc adn fixing stiction. I remeber it was an article that had a red RT in it, and the guy used a plate of glass for alignment.

I can not find the article/thread now or I would post it.

so maybe someone out there knows the site Im thinking of and can post it

it might have some helpful tips for you, for all of us

Thanks for straight answers, Brickrider. I agree the problem is unsolved and dangerous. I dont even want to ride that damn bike until I hunt this down and deal with it.

Soooooooooo..... off with the stem and will try to find a machinist in the nearest big town. Will also do the alignment as prescribed in the other post above. Back soon..........

Thanks for straight answers, Brickrider. I agree the problem is unsolved and dangerous. I dont even want to ride that damn bike until I hunt this down and deal with it.

Soooooooooo..... off with the stem and will try to find a machinist in the nearest big town. Will also do the alignment as prescribed in the other post above. Back soon..........

Thanks for your confidence.

Remember to take the top bearing with you for the machinist to measure the ID, so he knows how much to cut off the stem.

Will be curious to know the final results.

Brick

Powering up a freeway onramp (early Sunday morning a couple of weeks ago) I ran out of gas and while swiching to reserve, with only one light hand on the handlebars, my bike displayed a headshake. My rear tire was down to the wear bars. I replaced the tire (Metzler Lazertec) and now the bike handles like a dream.
(that would be a 26 year old dream)

Head Shake

An often overlooked cause of low speed wobbles is the condition or brand/model of tire. Many BMWs simply will not tolerate certain tires. If the present tire has more than 5000 miles on it, you may want to replace it.

A couple of good choices would be a Metzler Lasertech or Dunlop 404 in the correct size.

Tired fork springs can also contribute to headshaking. 31,000 miles is not too soon to think about replacing them or at least increasing preload.

Finally, make sure you are bringing the top nut to the proper torque.

Back