• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Harley makes the "only" motorcycle for "law-enforcement use"

One of the dept's I dispatch for has a couple of HD bikes. I asked the Sheriff how come he didn't get a couple of BMW's. His response was, BMW's are nice, but they're expensive. The HD's are costing the county a buck a year.

I guess HD doesn't sell that many bikes anymore, they gotta give 'em away.

The NHP made the switch a few years ago. Then BMW, in their infinite widsom, decided our dealer wasn't "hip" enough to be in their network. BMW-NA's suggestion to the NHP about service? Truck 'em to LA for service, on YOUR dime.

About 6 months later I asked a motor officer to give me an "apples vs apples". He said he liked the BMWs, but the Road Kings are a better "office".

The HD's are costing the county a buck a year.
I guess HD doesn't sell that many bikes anymore, they gotta give 'em away.
More likely, Harley has decided that they MUST dominate the police business at almost any cost (or keep their foot in the proverbial door, to oversimplify) so that they will make lots of money on parts, and more importantly, have that wonderful PR that comes form the being the cop-bike that you see 'everywhere' almost to the point of being as ubiquitous as Crown Vic's are to the patrol-car world (I've noticed some erosion there lately though).

Believe me, selling the cop-bikes for a buck (and buying them back for the same figure) is not hurting Harley's bottom-line.

The NHP made the switch a few years ago. Then BMW, in their infinite widsom, decided our dealer wasn't "hip" enough to be in their network. BMW-NA's suggestion to the NHP about service? Truck 'em to LA for service, on YOUR dime.

About 6 months later I asked a motor officer to give me an "apples vs apples". He said he liked the BMWs, but the Road Kings are a better "office".

Up North in Reno all the Reno PD, Washoe Sheriff and NHP are on BMW's.
But then we have a good dealer.

Think BMW/P's are cheap to service?

Wrong, and I don't think HD's are either, but BMW has no advantage here,. imo. Ever visit your local BMW dealer and watch the Police Beemers in there for work, etc and not for just basic service either! My two dealers always have their hands full, replaceing parts, from clutches to other fairly serious items all the time on the PD bikes. My impression is the police life is fairly hard on the bikes and the cops use them harder than anybody in normal m/c ownership life. I do not think the beemers are any cheaper than any other brand out there, regarding this and if anything, the Manufacturers(All) are providing HUGE perks in this department of service related stuff. It has to be image to the public kind of thinking and nothing else. Image sells bikes! Randy13233

Based on what I have experienced with my own 1150RT and many years on a KZ1000P, if I had the choice available for enforcement riding it wouldn't be a hard choice at all. I'd choose the Kaw without reservations. The only advantage I see the beemer has over the Kaw is the abs system. Given the amount of training and recurrent training for enforcement riding that TPD did, that's a very minor loss. For municipal enforcement riding, the loss of the Kawasaki is a tough thing to have happen.

Time for my Two Cents...

We ride Harley Davidson FLHTP's (Electra Glides). Now I'm not a HD fan but I must admit they make a nice ride for police service. Our patrol area is urban (City streets) with very little highway or high speed driving and since we're on and off the bike so often it's nice that it sits low. We recently tested a R1200RT-P and found the height to be a concern. In order to get my leg over the radio box I had to stand on the foot peg to mount the bike. Also the saddle bags are much smaller then the HD which was a concern because of the amount of equipment we are required to carry. Being a RT owner myself I was really pushing for the RT-P but once I got to use it in our work environment I conceded that the HD fit our mission better. However if we did highway patrol duties there'd be no other choice then the RT-P.

So I'll suffer with the hot, slow HD at work.. But smile ear to ear while riding the RT on my off time.

'everywhere' almost to the point of being as ubiquitous as Crown Vic's are to the patrol-car world (I've noticed some erosion there lately though).

Believe me, selling the cop-bikes for a buck (and buying them back for the same figure) is not hurting Harley's bottom-line.

One of the PD's we dispatch for has no Crown Vics left, they all drive Impalas now. SO still has CV's coming out the ears, though. Although the Dodge Charger is a NICE patrol car. I did a 10 hour ride along with one of my deputies. I was purdy impressed with it. He is 6'8" and fits fine, except for the windshield being a bit 'short'. It handled gravel roads quite nicely, and at speed. The only wind noise I noticed came from the low profile light bar. If the wagon version came in AWD, I may consider it for a replacement when the Vibe gets tired.

And yes, I realize that giving away the bikes to the depts is strictly a PR move. Why bother asking for money from small PD's when you have folks buying street bobbers and then talking the new owners into decking them out with endless amounts of chrome, loud pipes, pillion seats with backrests and windscreens? --sigh--
Gal I work with bought one about three weeks ago. They haven't ridden it yet because its been "IN THE SHOP" since the day they bought it. Damn glad Guzzis, BMW's and Honda's are buy and ride!!!! But gee, the pic of the new bike sure looks good on her cell phone...hahahahahahahahaha

Last edited:
Back