• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Harley Davidson Recall

classicvw

DETROIT -- Harley-Davidson (HOG) is recalling nearly 46,000 motorcycles in the U.S. because they could stay in gear due to clutches that won't fully disengage.

The recall covers certain Electra Glide, Ultra Limited, Police Electra Glide, Street Glide, Road Glide and Road King models from the 2014 and 2015 model years.

Harley says in documents that gas bubbles can cause the clutch master cylinder to lose its ability to fully disengage the clutch, especially if the bike has been parked for a long time. This could cause a rider to lose control of the motorcycle if it's started in gear.

The problem was found through customer complaints. Harley reported 27 crashes and four minor injuries.

Dealers will flush the clutch and rebuild the master cylinder. The recall was to start April 23.

Almost 14 times more reports of incidents than the RT's strut fiasco, plus injuries reported. And no STOP RIDE NOTICE! Wow, those Harley guys are fearless.

Doesn't bother me a bit to see news about other brands. I've had two HDs (and ridden a bunch more) and several of my friends ride them, so I will gladly share this around.

It appears to affect about all the 2014/15 Rushmore bikes except (thankfully) Road Kings which is what I have. At least it's easy to access unlike the slave cylinder on oilheads. I guess what's happening is bubbles can develop after sitting and the clutch doesn't completely separate when pulling the lever. When starting the bike in gear, or neutral then putting it in gear, the bike lurches forward into the garage door or whatever.

It appears to affect about all the 2014/15 Rushmore bikes except (thankfully) Road Kings which is what I have. At least it's easy to access unlike the slave cylinder on oilheads. I guess what's happening is bubbles can develop after sitting and the clutch doesn't completely separate when pulling the lever. When starting the bike in gear, or neutral then putting it in gear, the bike lurches forward into the garage door or whatever.

Think for a moment that the bike is a BMW. Call the dealer and tell them that when you started the bike up, it lurched forward into the back wall of your garage. I guarantee the Motherland will tell you that its operator error! :banghead

Think for a moment that the bike is a BMW. Call the dealer and tell them that when you started the bike up, it lurched forward into the back wall of your garage. I guarantee the Motherland will tell you that its operator error! :banghead

And then four years from now there would be a replacement campaign but they would say it's for a completely different reason...

I believe your 2015 is like my 2014 - cable actuated clutch. Why the rest of the Rushmore touring bikes got hydraulic and the RK's stayed cable is a mystery to me. But I was not unhappy to see it when I bought mine.

I believe your 2015 is like my 2014 - cable actuated clutch. Why the rest of the Rushmore touring bikes got hydraulic and the RK's stayed cable is a mystery to me. But I was not unhappy to see it when I bought mine.

I was pleased too. It's not a BMW but I really like this bike!

Back